Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DONE with SPG/Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stant
If you have 1000 nights in 3 years in a chain I'm pretty sure it's reasonable to expect to get them to bend the rules for you every once in a while.

sure it might seem noble to go on with the 'every customer is a customer and we need to treat everyone the same way' - but that philosophy is of little use in the real world.
little use in the real world? Not sure what kind of philosophy is in your real world. As an adult, I will absolutely ask/request for rules to be bent but my expectations are not that it is mandatory. Only a child would throw a tantrum because they asked for a FAVOR and didn't get it.

Do you think it's right if your friend asked you for a favor but you said NO and he/she gets mad, blames you and didn't want to be friends with you anymore.

Last edited by dunno282; Mar 6, 2018 at 6:15 pm
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dunno282
Only a child would throw a tantrum because they asked for a FAVOR and didn't get it.
Reminds me of people who ask to switch seats onboard, then get huffy when you politely decline.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:12 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by pinniped
Different tone, less entitlement, less informing us how sophisticated he is...he might actually get some helpful advice here. Hotel programs have been generous to me over the years, occasionally extending Plat/Diamond when I didn't fully earn it. Asking how to proceed in this situation isn't unreasonable, but "reasonable" discussion left the station 1 sentence into the OP.

Makes me wonder if the request to Marriott and Starwood wasn't a snotty entitled demand/threat, and that's why it got shot down.
LOL. I guess you could not have predicted how correct you were when you wrote it. While tb21nym is getting the rules applied to the letter with all his attitude, at the same time we've got tanner1821 in the other thread who fully realizes losing Platinum was entirely his own doing, and then SPG goes ahead and makes an exception for him but refusing to do so for tb21nym.
Bummed, Lost SPG Platinum. Now what?

Pinniped hit it on the head here, and kudos to SPG for extending status to tanner1821 and not to tb21nym.

^
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:13 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Reminds me of people who ask to switch seats onboard, then get huffy when you politely decline.
+1
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Folks,
Many of the posts in this thread discuss the character of the poster rather than the facts at hand. Please remember that FT rules expressly prohibit getting personal with other posters. Please keep the discussion to the merits of the content rather than the intentions of the poster.

Thanks,
yosithezet
Co-Moderator, SPG Forum
with all due respect, it is more fun to "discuss the character of the poster", than only talking about facts. it makes us human.
sincerely,
five
status: SPG Preferred level, Delta Silver, Marriott Reward member, American AAdvantage, and FT Co-contributor
ps: I own Chase credit card
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by tb21nym
I stayed over 100 nights last year. How would that not qualify me as being an Elite customer? I have stayed over 100 nights at Starwood in previous years.
i'm a lifetime platinum who ended up staying a little under 100 nights with spg last year because i had a lot of travel to a city where there is no spg or marriott option so i had to stay 70+ nights with another chain....i had been at ambassador level with spg for 6+ years & if i combined my marriott nights from last year then i cross the 100 night threshold required for ambassador status but i have no right to ask spg to give me an ambassador this year because they made it pretty clear that both programs will continue to operate separately till further notice....

at the end of the day i am as elite as the number of nights i've stayed with that particular program....spg will give me the benefits of having stayed 75+ nights last year but will not give me the benefits of having stayed 100+ nights....asking for anything more is trying to get something you are not entitled to....
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Keyser
i'm a lifetime platinum who ended up staying a little under 100 nights with spg last year because i had a lot of travel to a city where there is no spg or marriott option so i had to stay 70+ nights with another chain....i had been at ambassador level with spg for 6+ years & if i combined my marriott nights from last year then i cross the 100 night threshold required for ambassador status but i have no right to ask spg to give me an ambassador this year because they made it pretty clear that both programs will continue to operate separately till further notice....

at the end of the day i am as elite as the number of nights i've stayed with that particular program....spg will give me the benefits of having stayed 75+ nights last year but will not give me the benefits of having stayed 100+ nights....asking for anything more is trying to get something you are not entitled to....
Apparently he was offered a platinum challenge which I thought was a reasonable outcome especially the Marriott one. However I have also previously been given status in an airline FFP when I was about 4% short of the required miles. It engendered some degree of extra loyalty from me so sometimes flexibility can provide loyalty and maintain business for a minor cost vs the advertising and promotions used to gain and keep customers.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Apparently he was offered a platinum challenge which I thought was a reasonable outcome especially the Marriott one. However I have also previously been given status in an airline FFP when I was about 4% short of the required miles. It engendered some degree of extra loyalty from me so sometimes flexibility can provide loyalty and maintain business for a minor cost vs the advertising and promotions used to gain and keep customers.
i can understand getting a goodwill exception being 4% short of the requirement....its not something one is entitled to but its up to the ffp to make these exceptions....but where does one draw the line????the op could have had 40 nights with spg & 60 with marriott, thereby falling short of both requirements by 20%....
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by NDtraveler
Can this post be tagged as dykwia?
He doesn't even know who he isn't.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
I've only been Gold on both, and have received 40% suite upgrades (from base room) , while as Hilton Diamond the hit rate is around 60%.

for someone who stays that many nights (just missing Plat at both SPG & Marriott) , shouldn't paying for Lounge/Bfast/Suite when you need it be an acceptable cost ?

The only downside I see from your predicament is the points multiplier ... but as everyone else has pointed out, it's all in the T&C which I'm glad the chains are honoring.

Last edited by wantan; Mar 7, 2018 at 4:17 am
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by wantan
I've only been Gold on both, and have received 40% suite upgrades (from base room) , while as Hilton Diamond the hit rate is around 60%.
Someone is going to comment on these ratios, so it might as well be me As a Platinum Ambassador with SPG and Platinum with Marriott I don't (quite) manage a 40% suite upgrade rate, and in 4 years as a Hilton Diamond I can only remember one proper suite upgrade (pre-requested after I was hit by a car in Vietnam). I say this as a frequent traveler to Asia - no doubt I have done better than almost any US resident on these programs.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Someone is going to comment on these ratios, so it might as well be me As a Platinum Ambassador with SPG and Platinum with Marriott I don't (quite) manage a 40% suite upgrade rate, and in 4 years as a Hilton Diamond I can only remember one proper suite upgrade (pre-requested after I was hit by a car in Vietnam). I say this as a frequent traveler to Asia - no doubt I have done better than almost any US resident on these programs.
Maybe he has a golden tongue for suite talking the desk clerks!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by wantan

for someone who stays that many nights (just missing Plat at both SPG & Marriott) , shouldn't paying for Lounge/Bfast/Suite when you need it be an acceptable cost ?

The only downside I see from your predicament is the points multiplier ... but as everyone else has pointed out, it's all in the T&C which I'm glad the chains are honoring.
As others have noted, international travel does better on suites. Domestically, as a Plat Premier on Marriott and Plat on SPG, I was running 100 percent in both programs through most of January and since then I'm at zero! And I don't find upgrades are any easier at SPG properties.

But not, paying for upgrades is not an acceptable cost when on business. A suite, easy access to food, etc. aren't expenses I can pass on to others.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I experience this before ! A lady with a baby in tow demand to switch seat with me ....
The issue is her seat is in standard economy and I was seated in Scoot in Silence section

Interestingly one of the crew actually accompany her to the Scoot in Silence section for asking the seat switch
But then another crew straight ask her to return to her seat as kids is not allowed in the silence section
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Scoot in Silence
LOL....had to Google that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.