Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DONE with SPG/Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by dunno282
so basically you're saying that the real qualification to PLT100 is 99, oh but 98 is so close to 99, oh but 97 is so close to 98, oh but 96 is so close to 97, oh but 95 is so close to 96, oh but 94 is so close to 95, oh but 93 is so close to 94, oh but 92 is so close to 93, oh but 91 is so close to 92, oh but 90 is so close to 91, oh but 89 is so close to 90...etc where does it stop? with your logic then all of the people in that range should get PLT100 so they don't alienate ones that are SO close to PLT100. With an increased risk of alienating the PLT100 customers that actually have 100+ nights.

where does it stop? that depends on the circumstances. That is my entire point. rigid 'rules are the rules' thinking does not apply well to the real world.

As far as alienating plt100 members in your little scenario goes - it is FAR easier to alienate members by treating them like just a number that you dont care about. it's FAR less likely to alienate anyone when a program goes out of their way to treat members well, even if the member in question is not you. I'm plt100. If I log onto flyertalk and see a thread that says 'thanks spg, you gave me plt100 status with only 89 nights stayed!' and I go on to read that member stayed a THOUSAND nights in the previous three years, I'll think to myself that spg did a good job, and instead of worrying that I might get a little less time with my ambassador this year, I'l be reassured that if next year I miss the mark by a few days maybe I'll get some special consideration too. If YOU read that sort of story as a plt100 member would you say 'to hell with this, I'm going to hilton!'? I doubt it.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stant
where does it stop? that depends on the circumstances. That is my entire point. rigid 'rules are the rules' thinking does not apply well to the real world.

As far as alienating plt100 members in your little scenario goes - it is FAR easier to alienate members by treating them like just a number that you dont care about. it's FAR less likely to alienate anyone when a program goes out of their way to treat members well, even if the member in question is not you. I'm plt100. If I log onto flyertalk and see a thread that says 'thanks spg, you gave me plt100 status with only 89 nights stayed!' and I go on to read that member stayed a THOUSAND nights in the previous three years, I'll think to myself that spg did a good job, and instead of worrying that I might get a little less time with my ambassador this year, I'l be reassured that if next year I miss the mark by a few days maybe I'll get some special consideration too. If YOU read that sort of story as a plt100 member would you say 'to hell with this, I'm going to hilton!'? I doubt it.
why even have rules then. why would you think that someone who had 1000 nights in the past 3 years and only 89 nights the most recent year will magically go back up to 300+ nights? if it's going on a downward trend and a huge downward trend. SPG allowed him to do the plat challenge to prove he is going to continuing to stay at SPG. I think that's more than fair enough. you can give all of your scenarios anyway you want to try and win your argument with the DYKWIA attitude. If you would actually read my posts you would see that the point is not the 'rules are rules' argument but you keep on going back to it as your basis of the argument. As I have said before, I agree with you on definitely trying to bend the rules. There is no harm to that. But in the real world especially in the service area, going by the rules is the quickest and easiest way to shut down someone they don't want to appease for whatever SPGs reason with "Look it's the rules". You can't just assume it's bad business based on their end without knowing what evidence they've gone through.

I'm sorry you have to live that way in your world to be successful. But doing business in my world has been great and successful so you go do you and I'll do me.

Last edited by dunno282; Mar 17, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
By giving the person platinum challenge, SPG already bend the rules.
As the rules for challenge is supposedly for people who never have platinum status in the last 5 years

And for "Rigid Rules", it will save SPG from certain headache.

If say Platinum requirements is "flexible", then plenty of people will be upset ....
Someone get plt by staying 48 nights ... then another person who downgraded to gold after stay 49 nights will be royally pissed off
And also the one who manage to stay for 47 nights will demand the same

Imagine the headache ...... (And I bet SPG Lurkers might just delete their accounts here if thats happen )
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:08 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Originally Posted by pinniped
Primary rental car insurance is only on the Ritz card. It's secondary on the Marriott Visa.

Darn I will have to check on that and probably cancel this card, if so.

I looked for "primary rental car coverage" and just came up with the following link, updated last year

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/cards...ntal-coverage/
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Take them up on the Platinum Challenge. You get Platinum with SPG and make that your "focus" or "preferred" programme for your hotel stays. Marriott would match that. For the odd stays you may still need to have with Marriott, you can simply transfer the points earned from those over to your SPG account as needed toward points- or cash-&-points stays with SPG (comes in handy when you need or want that extra stay or two at an SPG property).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.