Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DONE with SPG/Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If hyatt works for you, take your 100 nights there.
it is stunningly dumb of starriott not to make an exception under the circumstances. Consider that a warning of what to expect in the future from this program.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
I think it's a pretty reasonable mistake to make. At every hotel you see those cards that say SPG/Marriott/Ritz, now one family or program or whatever. OP is probably a normal traveler who didn't read the rules carefully and assumed their nights would add up.
You're rationalizing the OP's error. You're asserting he was misled by hotel advertising a coming merge of programs and then he gets to apply rules he imagined (nights from all hotel stays across programs counting for elite status in a program Marriott hasn't rolled out yet).

If I get to imagine rules and have them apply, I'm going big!

Over time the OP won't be happier any place else. There will be a failure to undertake adequate understanding, he won't take responsibility and he will storm off.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave510
You don't get Platinum while doing the challenge.
Then ask for the Taste of Gold/Platinum. You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. The promotion is usually targeted but in this circumstance I can see OP getting it.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Slatco
9 stays in 90 days is easy.
For some people.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Some properties even do whatever then can to refuse lounge access to Platinum members!
How so? I didn't think lounges were that common in SPG compared with Marriott.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by paolo64
In the early days of the acquisition there were regulatory and shareholder issues that precluded any premature merging . The programs had to remain separate. Surely those issues are long since resolved and there is no longer a compelling reason to keep them apart.
It's not that simple. There are non-trivial IT issues involved in merging the programs. Just ask any veteran of any recent airline merger. It takes time for each IT staff to learn about the other system, figure out how to merge different technologies (both hardware and software), plan the merger, execute, test, etc., etc., etc. And who knows if management has even decided what the combined program will look like yet?

Originally Posted by MarkOK
Anyways, I 'get' the OPs frustration from the standpoint that you can't be great customers to both, you have to choose one. Marriott should fix this
It will, but just not yet. And, as has been pointed out upthread (as well as to me by my friends), I'm SPG PLT. Marriott will match just by my asking.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by dunno282
so wait.... you made your own rules and you're mad that SPG/Marriott isn't willing to accept it? I've had over 330 nights a year (long-term stay for work) for the past 3 years. By your definition, I'm supposed to be a super elite customer but I don't expect SPG/Marriott to bend the rules for me. If next year I only get 49 nights and don't make it to PLT, it's on me...not SPG.
If you have 1000 nights in 3 years in a chain I'm pretty sure it's reasonable to expect to get them to bend the rules for you every once in a while.

sure it might seem noble to go on with the 'every customer is a customer and we need to treat everyone the same way' - but that philosophy is of little use in the real world.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by pinniped
The crazy thing is: I empathize with the OP. He's done something that is almost impossible to actually do, and I could easily see a non-FTer (read: someone who isn't a total nerd about these programs) doing and not being aware of it until too late. I can also see where Marriott/Starwood might be willing to grant an exception to someone who really has fully barely short of Platinum in both programs.

Honestly, after laughing ... reading ... through this thread, I really wonder what would be the final tally of OP's night in both programs ? Surely he got Gold for both

Anyway, OP mention that SPG offer him Platinum Challenge. As far as I know, someone who holds platinums in previous 5 years is not eligible for the challenge. Or its a way SPG tries to help OP to attain his Platinum status back ?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by tb21nym
I have been a Platinum member with SPG for three years. I stayed over 100 nights this last year between Starwood and Marriott. I was just demoted to Gold in both programs because I barely missed the threshold in each program. They conducted exactly zero due diligence to see I had stayed over 100 nights between the two and are unwilling to "make an exception". They even had the balls to offer me a "Platinum Challenge". Has anyone else had this experience? I called Hyatt today and they will honor my Platinum status Day 1. I am switching programs this week and closing my Marriott CC account. I am absolutely appalled and certainly hope you all realize what you're dealing with here. Only a matter of time before they treat you all the same way.
I am confused, you didn't qualify for the status although you knew the deal for the entire year you were staying at SPG and Marriott but as you failed to stay the required nights you somehow see this as their fault. If you wanted status you should have qualified for it. Clearly you see 3 years as Platinum as a reason to be given Plat or longer, I am afraid Lifetime doesn't kick in until 10 years, so you are very short of years!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Horace
It seems it would take real effort to stay "over 100 nights" across the two separate programs in 2017, and not achieve Platinum status in either one of them.

For SPG Platinum, you only needed 25 Eligible Stays or 50 Eligible Nights.

You indicated you had a Marriott Chase Visa (which provides 15 elite-qualifying nights, plus another for each $3000 spent on the card), So, you would have needed no more than 60 nights for Rewards Platinum.

With more than 100 nights, all it would have taken is a bit more attention to the qualification rules and picking a few hotels more carefully in 2017.
Absolutely true.
With @ a whole bunch (but less than 200) of nights per year I manage Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, and Marriott Gold.
PS: 25 years Marriott, 20 Years IHG, and 10 Years Hilton
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Dave510
You don't get Platinum while doing the challenge.
I would put up with gold for 9 stays if it got me platinum for the remaining 90 nights in the year.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
Originally Posted by geminidreams
I would put up with gold for 9 stays if it got me platinum for the remaining 90 nights in the year.
not to mention that you can do it by booking 3 room each for 3 stay
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks,

Please pay attention to the moderator advisory in post #41.

We are now actively removing ‘piling on’ posts.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, WN, DL
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Anyway, OP mention that SPG offer him Platinum Challenge. As far as I know, someone who holds platinums in previous 5 years is not eligible for the challenge. Or its a way SPG tries to help OP to attain his Platinum status back ?
That is alive and well, and Gold will also disqualify you for a challenge. I was SPGP in 2013, soft landed to SPGG for 2014, and refused a challenge for 2018, so I’m left earning it the hard way.

Since there’s no lounge or breakfast benefit at the Tribute property I now use, I miss out of a few points. Oh well. The quality of the Magnolia is worth it.

Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:03 am

I always love these "I am leaving program X" threads.

Let's think about it.

1. For every I am leaving SPG, there's someone over on another board storming off to SPG after leaving their "program" over some perceived slight (AKA as the grass is only greener because there's different manure being spread) So to the hotel operator it is all equal.
2. For a lot of posters on these threads they should be glad someone is leaving not try to "keep them in the family" After all that's one less elite competing for your upgrade. I figure the only reason to try to convince anyone otherwise is our self image is tied up with having everyone love our choice of travel provider. Why? (Mine isn't so my response is "bye, have fun")
3. What do these posters think is going to happen? The program has said no to whatever they wanted. Do they really think that posting about it here will change anything? (I have walked away from some travel providers. I didn't bother to let the world know and I doubt any of you really cared LOL!)

So to the OP. Good Luck with your new preferred hotel chain!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.