Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DONE with SPG/Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:15 am
Suspended

the rules for elite qualification in both programs are very clear...
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tb21nym
I stayed over 100 nights last year. How would that not qualify me as being an Elite customer?
Because (a) you didn't meet the requirements to hit that level, and (b) you expect special treatment.
conde likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is Hyatt offering you Plat or Glob?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:20 pm

I stayed over 100 nights last year. How would that not qualify me as being an Elite customer? I have stayed over 100 nights at Starwood in previous years. You're absolutely right, maybe I'm not the customer they want. That's fine, someone else does and I'll be happy to take my business elsewhere.
Going with FFPs is like going by the rules. They are clearly still two companies in terms of operations and frequent guest programs, and they said it at the very beginning they are not combining nights at the moment. So if you say at 55 nights in Marriott, 45 nights SPG, does that make you PLT in each program? No. You are loyal to each frequent guest program to the point that you are considered as GLD elite. By your logic, if you stay at each brand for nine nights(Hyatt, Marriott, SPG, Hilton, Carlton, BestWestern, Accor), does that mean you are loyal to all hotel programs?

Okay would Hilton be a better option? They have both offered to honor my Platinum status so it really doesn't matter to me either way.

To the responses above: Yes, I should've checked. However, if you are Marriott do you think it's wise to treat someone that has spent well over $40K each of the last three years at your Hotels like this? Talk about "cutting your nose to spite your face"

In addition, I stay mostly in big cities. Shouldn't be an issue even if Hyatt has a limited base.
What do you think a frequent guest program is like Hilton when you can hold a CC (AMex) that can grant you Diamond status every year? What do you think about your loyalty to Hilton when others stay no nights at Hilton but have the same status as you because they have the AMex CC? I thought about going for Hilton LT DM once I finish with LT goals with Marriott/SPG. By the time AMex Hilton CC came up, I had made up my mind not to blindly go after Hilton.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Mar 5, 2018 at 1:05 pm
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Horace
It seems it would take real effort to stay "over 100 nights" across the two separate programs in 2017, and not achieve Platinum status in either one of them.
This was my first thought. In fact, it almost seems impossible.

44 nights at Starwood, all two-night stays.
57 nights at Marriott, all really cheap stays.
That could leave you 1 EQN short in both programs.

Or you're counting some non-qualifying stays in those 100+ nights.

Or you're exaggerating a bit on the 100+ nights.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
They conducted exactly zero due diligence to see I had stayed over 100 nights between the two and are unwilling to "make an exception".
I think the only party in this scenario that didn't do their due diligence, is you.

With the way SPG and Marriott are operating right now, your assumption that they would make an exception is akin to owning a Toyota and expecting Lexus to perform your warranty work.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
It looks like the OP starts an account on FT, presumably for the sole purpose of complaining about not getting something that he was not entitled to. Aggressive language noted.

Something tells me that we will soon see him in the Hilton and/or Hyatt forums, asking who he should switch to next, when he does not get exactly what he demands.

As has been noted many times on FT, if you keep switching travel providers for every menial thing that they do that you do not like, you will quickly run out of options.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by chongl
...your assumption that they would make an exception...
I don't disagree with the community sentiment but FT is filled with exception examples...there are always exceptions to every rule, policy, etc. Unfortunately for the OP, s/he didn't get the exception.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Having spent time with Hyatt and Hilton programs, dealing with a very limited footprint and a very low value elite member program, I look forward to OP returning in a couple of years.

Though not here - hit-and-run posters very rarely provide updates.

fwiw, add me to the consistent message that I'm glad the programs actually follow their well-published guidelines.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Troopers
I don't disagree with the community sentiment but FT is filled with exception examples...there are always exceptions to every rule, policy, etc. Unfortunately for the OP, s/he didn't get the exception.
The crazy thing is: I empathize with the OP. He's done something that is almost impossible to actually do, and I could easily see a non-FTer (read: someone who isn't a total nerd about these programs) doing and not being aware of it until too late. I can also see where Marriott/Starwood might be willing to grant an exception to someone who really has fully barely short of Platinum in both programs.

Different tone, less entitlement, less informing us how sophisticated he is...he might actually get some helpful advice here. Hotel programs have been generous to me over the years, occasionally extending Plat/Diamond when I didn't fully earn it. Asking how to proceed in this situation isn't unreasonable, but "reasonable" discussion left the station 1 sentence into the OP.

Makes me wonder if the request to Marriott and Starwood wasn't a snotty entitled demand/threat, and that's why it got shot down.
karenkay and CIT85 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:06 pm

In the early days of the acquisition there were regulatory and shareholder issues that precluded any premature merging . The programs had to remain separate. Surely those issues are long since resolved and there is no longer a compelling reason to keep them apart.
In my view, situations such as that of the OP are more than a little weird. Yes, the rules are clear but why would they want to turn away a valued customer...wouldn't it be simpler if they just combined the nights and granted status based on the total? It would win friends, keep valued customers satisfied while offending no one.
This artificial separation of accounts has meant I've not spent a single night in a Marriott since the merger. Not that I don't want to...on the contrary...but reflecting the fact that any such odd, orphan nights would be meaningless.
I get "the rules, the rules" arguments but not the logic behind refusing to bend/break them under circumstances such as those of the OP.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Sorry you were not aware, but you could have stayed 50 nights with SPG and been Plat in both.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by paolo64
Surely those issues are long since resolved and there is no longer a compelling reason to keep them apart.
My armchair opinion is that Marriott realizes that SPG members have a much different relationship with their program than Marriott members do with Marriott Rewards. I honestly believe Marriott is still trying to figure out how to merge - or *if* they can merge - without killing the secret sauce of SPG. That is, the better on-property recognition, upgrades, and other benefits.

If heritage Starwood becomes too Marriottized, I suspect a *lot* of the SPG fans would defect to Hyatt. Footprint-wise, Hyatt isn't so dissimilar to SPG to make that a show-stopper.

Marriott is still looking for a thoughtful solution that keeps SPG fans from leaving, and it isn't easy to find. They could have legally merged programs on January 1, 2018, but they didn't. This is a genuine conundrum still to be solved.
markko likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
Can this post be tagged as dykwia?
CLEguy likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Wow rough crowd. I am more pissed about the change to Pepsi products (gag). Then again, I am just a lowly Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.