Bummed, Lost SPG Platinum. Now what?

Old Mar 5, 18, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Bummed, Lost SPG Platinum. Now what?

So, by a mistake all of my own doing, I lost my Platinum status in 2018. I had only been gold up until last year, so I never really paid attention to status dates (always had 10-15 stays per year). For some reason, I was under the impression Platinum was calculated with stays thru February. I did not know stays were only counted on a calendar year basis and this resulted in me only ending up with 23 stays for Jan-Dec. I've had several more so far this year, which I thought were being counted, but they weren't. I contacted SPG and they said there was nothing they could do to upgrade my status. I realize this is completely my mistake, and I am super bummed. I felt like I was part of this elite travel club, although, I clearly don't travel nearly as much as most Platinums.

I am not familiar with all the other rewards programs, but I did do a platinum status match with Hilton last fall when I was traveling to an area that did not have an SPG property. Therefore, I do have the matched status. Should be easy enough to just switch to Hilton rewards going forward. However, I have the SPG Amex card and I am a preferred planner for a couple of Children's Hospital events each year where we have large room blocks at a local SPG property (for which I receive points). I suppose I'd need to cancel the card and get the HH card. Not sure if HH has event planning perks....

SPG Gold is nothing to write home about, so I am seriously considering the full blown program switch. I have a dozen future stays totaling more than $10K in spend already booked in 2018 and the hassle of canceling and re-booking with Hilton is not appealing. Ugh

With exhausting the option of contacting customer services, is there any other tactics that might work in getting SPG to work with me? Otherwise, is Hilton the next best rewards?
Old Mar 5, 18, 3:53 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG, BR, CX, Aeroplan
If you're open to switching entire loyalty program and hotels, why not start a Marriott Status Challenge and stay at Marriott until you hit Platinum again.
LF72 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 18, 4:37 pm
Community Director

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Gold is much more meaningful at Marriott than it is at Starwood. Link your accounts and use your status at Marriott. Don't give up your Starwood card. Starwood points are valuable, whether used for rooms, moved to Marriott at a 3:1 ratio, or moved to airlines.
ChrisFlyer66, Valmiki and LF72 like this.
Old Mar 5, 18, 5:11 pm

Programs: SPG Plt
You know the grass is not always greener on the other side. I was Plat50 3 years in a row, then a couple of years ago I decided I couldn't be bothered chasing status anymore and I have found life to be fine without being an elite. What I would suggest you do is look at your travel pattern and decide if you took points and status out of it, which properties would you rather stay and for me that would determine which status I would pursue. If you felt highly valued as a elite with SPG is it not worth pursuing again? I doubt if you are going to get comped to Platinum by SPG without doing the hard yards.
Old Mar 6, 18, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
As a former plat and now lowly useless gold, I agree with the OP, get out of SPG [unless you are going to get to plat]

SPG is great program if you have plat status but its pretty much useless if you are a lowly gold or heaven forbid a nobody

MR gold [I'm that too] is great but the threshold is pretty high for mid tier status but the MR Visa does help knock that down to something more manageable

If you have HH diamond I'd run with that while you have it. If not, I'd probably use that SPG gold status over at MR. At least you will have lounge access and 4P checkouts.

I'm not sure that those who said the 3:1 ratio is good [my 2 cents is that I think you get jobbed transferring 1 spg for 3 MR but that is just me]
Old Mar 6, 18, 8:51 am
Original Poster

So, out of the blue this morning, I get this email....

Hi Jake, we are glad to share good news with you. Your account has been upgraded to Platinum as a one time exception. Please note that you need 25 stays or 50 nights per calendar year to keep your Platinum status (1st Jan to 31st Dec), for more information about SPG T&C please visit: link
In the meantime, feel free to contact us for any further assistance.

Wow, I guess I am PLAT at least one more year!
Thanks for those who responded with opinions.
Old Mar 6, 18, 11:50 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tanner1821 View Post
So, out of the blue this morning, I get this email....

Hi Jake, we are glad to share good news with you. Your account has been upgraded to Platinum as a one time exception. Please note that you need 25 stays or 50 nights per calendar year to keep your Platinum status (1st Jan to 31st Dec), for more information about SPG T&C please visit: link
In the meantime, feel free to contact us for any further assistance.

Wow, I guess I am PLAT at least one more year!
Thanks for those who responded with opinions.
Wow did not expect that. Good on SPG for doing this and congrats OP
travelista likes this.
Old Mar 7, 18, 11:43 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
That's a good move on the part of the company. It should keep you loyal for a little while longer...
Old Mar 8, 18, 12:07 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by tanner1821 View Post
However, I have the SPG Amex card
Do you have just one SPG Amex or both personal and business. The SPG Amex card each give you 5 nights and 2 stays towards status. So if you had 23 stays last year, having the second card would have bumped that up to 25 and put you over the top.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: