FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DONE with SPG/Marriott
View Single Post
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:02 pm
Dr. HFH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by MarkOK
... I've missed dates to get my daughter to dance rehearsals because I "didn't do a simple quick check on the facebook to get the most recent dates", I've missed awesome deals at Lowes because "I didn't simply open the ad" that week, I in fact went years without an Aadvantage account because I didn't bother doing a number of 'simple' things to get one set up (I tried a few times online, but kept getting an error message that I was already registered. I'd forget about it and carry on, too busy and not caring enough to do it, but then early last year, I finally made the simple call and found that I was getting the error message because someone else with my exact name already had an account and she had to override it). I didn't think it mattered much, but since I recreated my flight history, I've found I'd be 17% on my way to million miler/lifetime gold by now instead of the 3% I currently am. Anyways, calling someone 'disengaged' for not knowing the ins and outs and particulars is a rather bold statement imo. We are all busy, and can't expect everyone to share their free time the same way we do. SPG, quite frankly, doesn't care how often you check your account history compared to someone else.
You have a point, but one could just as easily argue, "I don't look at every speed limit sign I drive by, officer."

If something is important to someone, whether it's PLT status or avoiding a speeding ticket, it's incumbent to become and stay informed about the rules and requirements.