Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Starwood Lurker
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

POSTING FORMAT

Hotel Name:
Arrival Date:
Departure Date:
Number of Rooms:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate:
Competing Rate:
Competing Web Site:

Comments:

FAQ

What is the Best Rate Guarantee (BRG)?

If a lower rate at an SPG Hotel is made available on a non-SPG website or non-SPG mobile application, upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions, SPG will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 25% discount off the Competing Rate (20% for Design Hotels) per room per night (up to a maximum of three rooms); or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest® Starpoints® per room per stay (up to a maximum of three rooms).

What should I do if my claim is successful?
  • Re-confirm your rate at check-in; normally the hotel will have the correct BRG rate in your reservation, but sometimes you will need to remind them.
  • If you choose points, they will be credited after the stay; check in one week to see if they have posted. If they have not posted, then contacted the BRG team to get it posted.
Are SPG benefits honored for BRG stays?

Yes. You should receive the same SPG elite member benefits and stay/night credit as for a normal paid stay.

How do I view my reservation after my BRG has been approved?
  • Click on your stays to view your current reservation.
  • Click on "Set Stay Preferences" link for the BRG reservation, then SAVE.
  • Refresh your stays page and the reservation should be visible again. You may need to repeat this step if the hotel touches your reservation. If you apply for Your24, you will not be able to view the reservation details.
How do I add a Suite Night Award (SNA) to a my BRG reservation?
  • Follow the steps as outlined under: How do I view my reservation after my BRG has been approved?
  • At the end of this process, you should be able to select "Apply SNA to this Stay" from within your stays page.
GUIDELINES FOR A SUCCESSFUL CLAIM

• You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.

• The rate you submit the BRG against must be a rate that is available to the general public
• Cancellation/Deposit Policies and amenities must match on both websites to be valid

A valid Starwood website reservation is required to submit a BRG

• If a room category is available on an external website but not on Starwood, you may still make a claim. You still need to make a booking with Starwood using the next lowest category of room and must include the cancel/deposit polices and amenities you are wanting- if your claim is approved the room type in the booking will remain what is booked.

• Only one claim may be submitted per reservation number (If your first claim is denied, you may submit a new claim for that reservation if you find another lower rate after you receive the denial email)

• You must book and submit a claim for the room type, cancel policy, deposit policy and amenities you are comparing. If you a flexible rate on SPG.com, they will look for a flexible rate when processing your claim, even if a lower rate for non-cancellable is available.
• You cannot BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. All information must be the same on both websites and the claim will be denied.

• If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is no room available with the same amenities, it will be denied.

• Room types must be the same for a BRG.

• If you are booking and comparing rates for a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved

• If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation, if it is within the cancellation deadline.

• The cancel policy of an approved claim will be the same as what was booked and approved. It will no longer default to flexible.

• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website for that room type to help clarify.

• If you find availability on a third party website/app but there is no availability on the Starwood Website, then this claim cannot be submitted as you must have a valid reservation to submit a claim. If it is submitted somehow without a reservation, the claim will not be processed as a valid Starwood reservation is required.

• Per the FAQ, "Any questions regarding claims should be directed to [email protected] or call 1-866-500-0368." A human is available at this number beginning at 9am EST.

OTAs not eligible because they do not confirm instantly:
  • AsiaWeb
  • BestDay
  • Cancelon
  • Ctrip (Known as MyTrip from Dec 2017)
  • Elvoline
  • HappyRooms
  • Hoteling
  • Hotelreservierung.de (according to BRG team 5 Sept 2017)
  • HotelsClick (Some rates on request, some instant)
  • Ostrovok
  • Roomertravel
  • Laterooms (according to BRG team 24 Oct 2016)
  • Hotelius (according to BRG team 21 Sept 2017)
  • Zenhotels (according to BRG team 10 Nov 2017)
  • Travelbag (according to BRG team 22 Dec 2017)

Special Conditions for BRG & Design Hotels
  • You may only claim against the absolute lowest rate on SPG.com, for the date(s) in question.
  • The rate must be the lowest on sale on SPG.com, and is regardless of the type of room you actually want, the number of occupants, cancellation policy and the amenities provided. In all likelihood this will mean you have to use a rate for a standard room, for 1 person, non-refundable and without any amenities.
  • It is not necessary for the rate on the external website to match the SPG.com rate in any way including room type and number of occupants. The only requirement for a successful BRG claim is that the rate be lower than the lowest rate on SPG.com for the date(s) in question.
  • As with normal BRG claims, you need to make a booking before submitting a claim but it must be the lowest rate for the hotel and dates. Since this will likely be a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved.
  • Amenities are not included in the comparasin
  • You will retain the category of room booked on SPG.com, even if the external website rate submitted for the claim refers to a different category of room. This is especially pertinent in situations where the hotel continues to sell lower categories of rooms on other websites, while not making them available on SPG.com. You will then be able to book a higher category of room on SPG.com, BRG the lower rate, and retain the higher category of room while paying the lower rate.
  • If you need to BRG Design Hotels for Double or higher occupancy.
    • The BRG will be processed for a single occupant, even if the rate does not change for more than one occupant. You must book the actual number of occupants intended. Effectively, you can only BRG for single occupant unless double rate happens to be the same as single. It is not possible to BRG if double rate is higher than single. No modification to occupancy is allowed if BRG is approved. If you submit with single rate, you will be stuck with single room; if you submit with double rate and single rate is lower, it will be automatically denied irrespective of competing rates.

Differing currencies

Marriott may deny claims where the difference between the comparison rate and the Marriott rate is less than $1. Rate disparities primarily attributable to fluctuations and/or differences in currency exchange rates are excluded from the guarantee.

Link to T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html
Print Wikipost

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

count on with 36-hour wait, at least
It will be my first stay with SPG, reservation starts soon too. Matched with another chain recently, they were Extremely prompt with emails and honoring the BRG. By prompt I mean <5 hours.

Last edited by VBoogie; Jun 27, 2018 at 7:40 pm Reason: add text
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
Waiting for my claim over 24h already, competing rate is gone
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Same here :-/ +30 hours on an english claim. Thought this was sorted out but guess not...
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: Aegean Gold, United Mileage Plus Silver, Privilege Club Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite (LTP)
I submitted by first claim after the BRG changes two days ago for a stay in Bangalore in October. This is the reply I got last night.

"Thank you for taking the time to fill out our Best Rate Guarantee claim form.
I have processed your claim to compare rates for a Executive room for one adult at our hotel, ITC Windsor, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bengaluru. Our website I found a rate of 11,400.00 INR plus taxes and fees, per night with a cancellation policy of: If you cancel between Thu, XX and 2:00 PM hotel time on XX, there will be no forfeiture amount. If you cancel after 2:00 PM hotel time on SAT XX, the forfeiture amount will be a 1 night stay. There may be additional applicable charges and taxes. I was not able to match the cancellation policy for a Executive room with the same cancellation policy. Galahotels.com offers a package for a fee for the site, which only provides 80% back if cancelled or changed and not 100%. Since I am not able to match the cancellation policy, I am unable to approve your claim."

This an was interesting experience. On the one hand was able to find availability on Galahotels.com, which I had written off except for Design Hotels
On the other hand it was eye opening, I did not know that Galahotels.com only refunds 80% if you cancel a flexible/refundable rate. I checked the FAQs and it does actually state they charge a penalty:
"Generally you can cancel your room(s) 3-4 days before the check-in date with a full refund and only a cancellation penalty". I guess that rules out Galahotels.com for flex/refundable rates.

Last edited by Zurich35; Jun 28, 2018 at 1:58 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Almost gave up hope on the best rate guarantee since my reservation starts in few days.

This will be my first approved claim and stay with SPG.

Very close call in terms of claim but SPG honored it and didn't let me down.

Hotel Name: Ovolo Southside, Hongkong
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: $104
UPDATE:Competing Rate found by me: $82 - $84, Competing rate found by SPG BRG team: $74
Competing Web Site: Expedia.com / Tripadvisor.com
Comments: 1. Rate was approved rather quickly compared to other member posts. [23 hours]
2. Hotel reservation was made in HKD but new changed rate shown was in CNY. Due to issue in changing currency overall price was just discounted by 20% for design hotel. It wasn't matched and then 20% discounted.
3. I was able to convince the agent to find it online and match it again over the phone. The match rate I was expecting is surprisingly still available online, While on call they found a lower rate than the rate I had quoted. Was matched to the much lower rate in HKD and then gave me the 20% discount on that rate. She also acknowledged SPG initial mistake.
4. Looks like there were 2 errors made during my BRG experience. But in the end it was all corrected. Folks, make sure currency changes are noted if claim is approved. Ended up paying $60 excluding tax per night.

Got confirmation email with new price.

Last edited by VBoogie; Jun 28, 2018 at 7:01 pm Reason: Font, New Update
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by VBoogie
Almost gave up hope on the best rate guarantee since my reservation starts in few days.

This will be my first approved claim and stay with SPG.

Very close call in terms of claim but SPG honored it and didn't let me down.

Hotel Name: Ovolo Southside, Hongkong
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: $104
UPDATE:Competing Rate found by me: $82 - $84, Competing rate found by SPG BRG team: $74
Competing Web Site: Expedia.com / Tripadvisor.com
Comments: 1. Rate was approved rather quickly compared to other member posts. [23 hours]
2. Hotel reservation was made in HKD but new changed rate shown was in CNY. Due to issue in changing currency overall price was just discounted by 20% for design hotel. It wasn't matched and then 20% discounted.
3. I was able to convince the agent to find it online and match it again over the phone. The match rate I was expecting is surprisingly still available online, While on call they found a lower rate than the rate I had quoted. Was matched to the much lower rate in HKD and then gave me the 20% discount on that rate. She also acknowledged SPG initial mistake.
4. Looks like there were 2 errors made during my BRG experience. But in the end it was all corrected. Folks, make sure currency changes are noted if claim is approved. Ended up paying $60 excluding tax per night.

Got confirmation email with new price.
I’ll be at Ovolo tonight on a BRG stay but I took the 2000 points with a rate of HK$590 + tax. This was under the old rules but it doesn’t make much difference for design hotels as you have to book the lowest non refundable rate anyway.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Hotel Name: Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
Dates: 1 night in late December 2018
Room Type: A kaiulani room with two adults
Actual confirmed rate: $127.72USD ($170.29USD less 25%) plus resort charge and taxes
Competing Website : OTEL via hotelscombined
Rate On SPG site : USD 194.75

This is my first approved claim since the rules changed. I had to resubmit the form 6 times because the rates kept changing. Once my claim was approved it was approved for the wrong rate ($142.81) and I had to call in to get it adjusted.

In case anyone is wondering why I'm staying only one night in Hawaii, I actually just needed to tack on one night to an existing reservation.

The agent noted in the 2nd reply:

Thank you for your call regarding your approved Best Rate Guarantee claim. It was a pleasure speaking with you today.

I have thoroughly reviewed your claim for our Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, including all of the associated documentation. While I was reviewing your claim, I noticed that an error had been made and I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience this may have caused.

As promised during our conversation, I have reprocessed your claim for our Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. I am pleased to confirm that your claim has been approved. The confirmation number for your reservation will remain the same, as well as the cancellation policy under which you originally booked. Please, present this e-mail upon arrival at the hotel. Here are the approved details that have been updated on your reservation.

Guest Name: (donotblink)
Confirmation #: XXXXXXXXXX
Hotel Name: Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
Arrival Date: December XX, 218
Departure Date: December XX, 2018
Room Type: A kaiulani room with two adults
Actual confirmed rate: $127.72USD ($170.29USD less 25%) plus resort charge and taxes
Claim reference number: 20180628XXXX

The approved rate is slightly higher than the rate that was submitted due to a hidden booking fee on the competing website. On the final screen before you submit your personal and payment information, there is a booking fee hidden within the taxes. In order to accurately compare their price with ours, I added the booking fee into the total charged by Otel.com via Hotelscombined.com.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:23 am

I'd like to see Marriott/SPG allow users with flexible reservations to be able to file a brg but compare the rates from prepaid vs prepaid on 3rd party. Like the old spg days. But.. ​​​​​The user approves with a text or something in the brg claim that Marriott/SPG may change the reservation to a prepaid reservation if the agent approves the claim.

In that way i wont be sitting on a regular prepaid rate I don't actually want if the brg is not approved. The reservation will be prepaid if the brg is approved so it's a win for the hotel. Must be lovely for a hotel to have a final future income.
It's a win win situation for both parties. Much customer oriented than what is now.

On some reservations my dates are actually final and I won't be needing a flex reservation. I'll also have to be sure that the rate won't drop so a prepaid reservation with brg rate is also a risk for myself.

No way that I today reserve a prepaid rate on Spg and take my chance and file a claim. The amount of customers doing this must be very low. Considering there's no 24 hour cancel without charge. Must be a low flexible rate on spg.com or Marriott is getting my money due to its 24 hour cancellation policy
​​​​​​
GalaxyChris, nli007 and puchong like this.

Last edited by joakgarp; Jun 29, 2018 at 10:30 am
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, BA Exec Continental, AAdvantage, Virgin,
Rate not available in to country residents

Originally Posted by mgkelly
What do you guys make of this one? I have had good success in the past:
Hotel: Ajman Saray UAE
Better rate on BA.com - where I have previously had successful BRG claims.
The rate is available to the general public - just not for residents of the UAE

Felt a bit of a cheat way of denying to me and wondered if any experience from others. The rate different was big which I cant help wondering if that had something to do with it.

Reply from SPG BRG:
"The Best Rate Guarantee Program does not apply to unpublished rates such as package rates, private rates, corporate rates, club membership rates, any rate targeted to a specific group, discount codes or coupons, and not available to the general public at all times.

The competing rate you submitted is not available to residents of the UAE or any Gulf states and therefore, is ineligible under the Terms and Conditions of the Best Rate Guarantee Program. As this rate is not eligible for the Best Rate Guarantee, I am unable to approve your claim."

Anyone got any similar experience or useful comments?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by mgkelly
Anyone got any similar experience or useful comments?
Not really, except to say that their T&C have always said that the rate has to be available to the general public ie everyone. They have become much more strict in enforcing this, and I have heard of several previously-approved sites being disallowed because of restrictions like the site only accepting customers from certain regions. Haven't heard of a rejection because the site didn't accept customers from a certain region but that's just the other side of the coin I guess.
mgkelly likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
I am still waiting one claim from June 23th....

Really annoying...

Still no news for my claim, already 1 week

Marriott Seriously ?
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: Aegean Gold, United Mileage Plus Silver, Privilege Club Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite (LTP)
Hotel Name: ITC Gardenia, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bengaluru
Arrival Date: October XX, 2018
Departure Date: October XX, 2018 (3 nights)
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 1
Room Type: Towers Room incl breakfast
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: INR 14373.33 excl. tax
Competing Rate: 139,06 EUR excl. tax
Actual Confirmed rate: 8,335.26 INR (11,113.68 INR less 25%) plus tax
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:45 am

Tried to file in my suggestion with a flex reservation but asked them to compare Spg's prepaid rate and 3rd parties prepaid rate. If approved they or I could change my reservation to a prepaid reservation and add the Brg rate if approved. They refused of course claiming I had to reserve and confirm a prepaid rate from the start before filing in a Brg-claim writing that's the only way. It was worth a shot but I had my suspicions they would deny.

I wrote back to them that their owner Marriott offers me better terms on marriott.com with 24 hour free cancellation from reservation and Spg doesn't. Also that the new Brg terms weren't executed right. Asked them to let their supervisors now about this and to consider a change.
I really want to continue to stay loyal to the Starwood brand but if Marriott offers me better terms in a more customer oriented way, why should I be loyal to Starwood?
I'm more confident in Starwood hotels and I've previously felt that Starwood cares a little bit more about the small human being than the big corporate Marriott. But that's about to be gone. I'm okay with that but let me decide and let me have the same terms whatever hotel I choose to stay at.
I really hope that changes are made for the better in august.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond
The Starwood BRG was one of the reasons that I remained loyal to the program. I really believe that they used it as a marketing/promotional tool that rewarded the customer and helped them to enforce their agreements either with the hotel or the OTA.

I agree with others that they need to at least let us cancel a non-refundable reservation within 24 hours like the Marriott hotels.
joakgarp likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, World of Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum
I need to book 2 nights at the Westin Puerto Vallarta 7/8-7/10.
On spg.com, the rate is $145/night + taxes/fees = $172.97/night x 2 nights = $345.93

When I check this on a Amoma.com, the rate is $164/night x 2 = $328 (taxes and fees included)

Does this qualify for BRG?
(if not, I’ll just book cash + Points)

Thanks for you help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.