Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
link accounts or join Marriott RewardsŪ,

Anyone received the Marriott email to link accounts?

Since you’re an SPG Lifetime™ Platinum member, when you link accounts or join Marriott RewardsŪ, you’ll instantly receive Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite status and benefits. You’ll continue to enjoy your SPG Lifetime status, and if you’ve already earned Marriott Rewards Lifetime status, you’ll keep that too. Please note that linking accounts will not result in a Lifetime status match in the other program.

I have LT, not sure base on above if I will be Marriott LT also.

Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite status = LT???
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:57 am

Can this window be used to cash out MR points? Transfer MR balance to SPG and get them out to an airline
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:58 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I am SPG Platinum this year and when I match, I will be MR Plat as well. Is the system smart enough to realize that if I do not get back to SPG Platinum status this year, the it should revert on 3/1/17 to MR Gold as I am lifetime SPG Gold and have MR Gold thru my lifetime UA Gold status?

This can get complicated.....
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:59 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
As a passionate SPG member and someone who watched this whole thing unfurl with trepidation, [I think] I'm glad this merger is finally done with. I skimmed through the linking T&Cs and got it for the most part, but was wondering if there was any downside to linking. I'm Plat with SPG and requalified for it again three weeks ago through to February 2018 which, hypothetically, should keep my status alive with them until the programs are rolled together. Based on the T&Cs, linking statuses enables me to Plat with MR/RC for my relevant period, which means 02/2018... No bad thing right?

Perhaps the more seasoned among us can chime in, but is there any reason NOT to link programs? [FWIW, I plan on staying with SPG as much as I can in the immediate term, for what it's worth... But there are a few choice Marriott-family properties out there that could get my business.]

Cheers!

khabah
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
I, for one, will wait and see and take time to analyze the whole situation. I'm not signing up for the accounts linking for the time being. So for now until the end of 2016, I'll keep my regular patterns and enjoy my stays with SPG.

SPG have been extremely good to to me for the last decade and I'll enjoy my benefits with them for one last year in 2017!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Vulcan
I am SPG Platinum this year and when I match, I will be MR Plat as well. Is the system smart enough to realize that if I do not get back to SPG Platinum status this year, the it should revert on 3/1/17 to MR Gold as I am lifetime SPG Gold and have MR Gold thru my lifetime UA Gold status?
See the FAQs, under "What happens if I don’t have enough stays to keep my current status in either program? " :

http://members.marriott.com/faq/#wha...either-program
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:04 am

So SPG plat with 25 stays can now score United Silver?

Or is this shortcut for Marriott-earned Plat status only. I'm
Hoping for the latter because SPG plat is much easier to attain and the MR pat will get diluted
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I know the FAQ says the status match will stay for the relevant period, but since I will have gold again right away on March 1st due to timeshare, will the Marriott account stay as gold as well?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:14 am

Linked my RC to SPG. No reason to wait, in my view.

Pleasantly surprised by the 3:1 conversion, quick integration, and promise to to leave the programs separate at least until 2008. It's fair, I think.

Big winners? Clearly Amex Plat card holders who receive SPG Gold, MR Gold, and HHonors Gold with only an annual fee without having make a single stay at any of the hotels. The match for SPG Gold - MR Gold is generous, in my estimation. Though it isn't exactly a challenge to achieve MR Gold (JPM Ritz MS/$10K, UA Match, the many challenges), it nonetheless requires more effort than merely have an Amex Plat.

As mentioned, RC and Marriott are the same program and completely interchangeable. All things equal, select MR when their promos are better and change back to Ritz when their promos kick in. There is no limit or restriction on how often you can switch, even daily.

If you stay at RCs, do get their CC. With the transfer to SPG, MR/RC points have increased in value, at least for the next year. RC stays have club level upgrades (up to 7 days with $100 resort credit and 3 per year) via the CC and are not complimentary to elites. However, you must pay a "standard" rate, since most promo rates (AAA/Corp) for RC stays will exclude you from applying the Club upgrades. Also, some RCs to not participate in the rewards program and upgrades/redemptions will be refused.

Admittedly, I know virtually nothing about MR properties. From a prior post and reading this morning, the 7 stay and 100+ FF Miles for 230MR points sounds like an excellent value. Will surely look into redeeming that, if I can.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:14 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kkl
As I am now Marriott Plat, so I get exact same benefits when staying in a Ritz property as if I am Ritz Plat, therefore it makes no diff?

Also, Marriott plat gets lounge access, does Ritz Plat get lounge access?
RC Plat = Marriott Plat. The RC program and the Marriott program are the exact same programs. The only difference is the marketing (i.e. promos, offers, etc.) If you think you will be staying more at RCs over Marriott, it might be worth switching your account to RC. Note that you can't (or are supposed to) have both a Marriott and RC accounts. You only need one. So figure out whether you prefer RC promos and marketing offers or whether you prefer Marriott, then change or keep you account's affiliation.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by travelexpert
As a Marriott lifetime platinum, I have no idea why an SPG platinum would want to try out a Marriott if there is an SPG property available.
I can think of a few markets that have both Marriott and Starwood properties where the Marriott option is a much better hotel (BOG, LIM, and the Pacific Coast of Panama come to mind; also LEX)

Most likely they will get the least possible upgrade (meaning better view, no parking lot outside the window),
That's exactly what an upgrade means to most SPG Platinums (outside of the Starwood cheerleaders on this board)

and if an FS resort--complimentary breakfast is not on the menu.
Have you ever read the free breakfast thread on this board??? SPG's implementation of free breakfast for Plats is an absolute sham.

If you as a Marriott Plat think that the grass is so much greener for SPG Plats, you are sorely mistaken (cries from the fanboys in this forum notwithstanding)
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Anyone received the Marriott email to link accounts?

Since you’re an SPG Lifetime™ Platinum member, when you link accounts or join Marriott RewardsŪ, you’ll instantly receive Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite status and benefits. You’ll continue to enjoy your SPG Lifetime status, and if you’ve already earned Marriott Rewards Lifetime status, you’ll keep that too. Please note that linking accounts will not result in a Lifetime status match in the other program.

I have LT, not sure base on above if I will be Marriott LT also.

Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite status = LT???
Haven't gotten the Marriott email yet. You currently won't be Marriott LT based on the above.

My guess is one of the bigger things both sides are still struggling w/ is how to combine the LT programs - raise the nights threshold as someone posted above (which could then impact a # of us on both sides), keep the # of years to be a member (which Marriott had & was higher than SPG, but then Marriott dropped a few years ago).

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Can this window be used to cash out MR points? Transfer MR balance to SPG and get them out to an airline
Don't see why not, if you want to use them for an airline.

Originally Posted by khabah
As a passionate SPG member and someone who watched this whole thing unfurl with trepidation, [I think] I'm glad this merger is finally done with. I skimmed through the linking T&Cs and got it for the most part, but was wondering if there was any downside to linking. I'm Plat with SPG and requalified for it again three weeks ago through to February 2018 which, hypothetically, should keep my status alive with them until the programs are rolled together. Based on the T&Cs, linking statuses enables me to Plat with MR/RC for my relevant period, which means 02/2018... No bad thing right?

Perhaps the more seasoned among us can chime in, but is there any reason NOT to link programs? [FWIW, I plan on staying with SPG as much as I can in the immediate term, for what it's worth... But there are a few choice Marriott-family properties out there that could get my business.]

Cheers!

khabah
I don't think there's a downside to linking. Just note that if you stay at a Marriott property you'll need to book it w/ your Marriott # to get the bennies, and then transfer points later if you wanted to redeem for a SPG property (or vice versa).

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
SPG Golds cleaned up on this deal. MR Golds got screwed. So with 10 SPG stays one now gets lounge access at Marriotts. But as a MR Lifetime Gold I get no lounge access at SPG? Seems very unbalanced to me.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I don't think there's a downside to linking.
I do. All other things being equal, I would prefer that the two programs not know that I am the same person. One never knows if the two companies' CRM and loyalty marketing teams might merge long before 2018 and tweak how they do targeted offers/who they target.

I wouldn't want to lose the opportunity to game promotions. So, a decision to link accounts should be weighed against that risk.

Last edited by Herb687; Sep 23, 2016 at 9:29 am Reason: clarify
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by LPCJr
SPG Golds cleaned up on this deal. MR Golds got screwed. So with 10 SPG stays one now gets lounge access at Marriotts. But as a MR Lifetime Gold I get no lounge access at SPG? Seems very unbalanced to me.
In my view, yes. It hardly seems equitable to just match SPG Gold to MR Gold. Also, I think the MR upper Elites should receive more than basic SPG Plat.

It seems (at least to me) MAR is making an effort to appease the SPG side, at least for the the first year.

PS - I was fulling expecting a 2:1 conversion, but 3:1 is excellent for MR/RC transfers.

Last edited by Visconti; Sep 23, 2016 at 9:33 am Reason: PS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.