FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:24 am
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Anyone received the Marriott email to link accounts?

Since you’re an SPG Lifetime™ Platinum member, when you link accounts or join Marriott Rewards®, you’ll instantly receive Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite status and benefits. You’ll continue to enjoy your SPG Lifetime status, and if you’ve already earned Marriott Rewards Lifetime status, you’ll keep that too. Please note that linking accounts will not result in a Lifetime status match in the other program.

I have LT, not sure base on above if I will be Marriott LT also.

Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite status = LT???
Haven't gotten the Marriott email yet. You currently won't be Marriott LT based on the above.

My guess is one of the bigger things both sides are still struggling w/ is how to combine the LT programs - raise the nights threshold as someone posted above (which could then impact a # of us on both sides), keep the # of years to be a member (which Marriott had & was higher than SPG, but then Marriott dropped a few years ago).

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Can this window be used to cash out MR points? Transfer MR balance to SPG and get them out to an airline
Don't see why not, if you want to use them for an airline.

Originally Posted by khabah
As a passionate SPG member and someone who watched this whole thing unfurl with trepidation, [I think] I'm glad this merger is finally done with. I skimmed through the linking T&Cs and got it for the most part, but was wondering if there was any downside to linking. I'm Plat with SPG and requalified for it again three weeks ago through to February 2018 which, hypothetically, should keep my status alive with them until the programs are rolled together. Based on the T&Cs, linking statuses enables me to Plat with MR/RC for my relevant period, which means 02/2018... No bad thing right?

Perhaps the more seasoned among us can chime in, but is there any reason NOT to link programs? [FWIW, I plan on staying with SPG as much as I can in the immediate term, for what it's worth... But there are a few choice Marriott-family properties out there that could get my business.]

Cheers!

khabah
I don't think there's a downside to linking. Just note that if you stay at a Marriott property you'll need to book it w/ your Marriott # to get the bennies, and then transfer points later if you wanted to redeem for a SPG property (or vice versa).

Cheers.