Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
So at least some questions have been answered. I am sure that 3:1 will have some people relieved and others feelng cheated. But at least now we have answers and it was not 1:1. I had dumped most of my points into DL because I did not trust Marriott. I only have 100K left and can use them in 2017, transfer them to DL, or at the worst get 300K when they combine. I'm fine with all of this, and think they have handled this well.

I am Gold with Marriott but was going to drop to Silver next year. Guess what, now I will be Marriott Plat. Love it! Not having to scrape together nights in two programs will be nice.

Oh, and Silver on UA which I only fly a few times a year. It's free, I'll take it.

But my biggest worry has not yet been addressed, and carefully crafted wording has me nervous:

LIFETIME

I am not lifetime in either but will be lifetime SPG Gold by January. I have even more nights in MR but no lifetime because of the crazy points requirement. I will have over 600 nights in the combined programs when they merge. If I don't have at least lifetime Gold I will not be a happy camper.

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Sep 23, 2016 at 2:03 pm
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bhrubin
SPG Plats are guaranteed a suite upgrade PERIOD based on availability, even without using a SNA.
You seem stuck on this SPG guarantee but acknowledge it's based on availability at check in. I can't tell you how many times my Plat upgrade has been to any old room on the SPG Member floor. Yes, I have received some nice upgrades - overwhelmingly outside the U.S. - but without confirmed suite upgrades it's very much hit or miss. I'm ready to try some Marriott brands with my newly matched status and see if there is any difference to the upgrade benefit in practice.

Now, before regulars of Marriott Rewards get too excited about available suites, recognize that eligible (standard) suites are not identified to travelers by property. As with free night awards for standard rooms not subject to blackout dates, there is opportunity for room/suite type segmentation that takes inventory out of the eligible standard pool. These are issues that cry out for better transparency.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
Not sure why this is a big deal. This is a one time status match which SPG and Marriott already did if you contacted them.

But the 3 to 1 ratio is nice

I wouldn't expect the SPG program to last and the LT SPG program to disappear too with no matching

Last edited by anotheran2; Sep 23, 2016 at 2:27 pm
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by anotheran2
Not sure why this is a big deal. This is a one time status match which SPG and Marriott already did if you contacted them.
That's a simple, but excellent observation. ^ (Although the ability to transfer points back and forth is new and big-ish news for some people).

Originally Posted by anotheran2
I wouldn't expect the SPG program to last and the LT SPG program to disappear too with no matching
You might be right, but it would be a pretty dumb move on their part. If they don't give SPG LT Plats some form of LT status in the new program with benefits that are at least equivalent to those presently offered under SPG Plat, I bet thousands of the highest revenue and most loyal members of the rewards program that they just paid a fortune to acquire will walk. I definitely would.

Last edited by tjk1976; Sep 23, 2016 at 2:22 pm Reason: Added something
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:22 pm

As someone who was Plat in both programs before the status match, I can confirm that SPG doesn't always upgrade Platinums, even with a SNA, and even when I could prove that there were suites available. (I don't want to debate whether a suite is "standard" or not when I'm on a family vacation.) It's not truly guaranteed for either program.

I've been on the second floor of a nice 15+ story SPG hotel before. That doesn't normally happen with Marriott. I've also received no upgrade on a $600/night room at Luxury Collection. But I've also received some amazing SPG suite upgrades, normally during low-occupancy periods.

The upgrades with SPG tend to be more consistent than with Marriott. With Marriott, you have to beg and grovel. But I've had more free Presidential Suite, top-level suite, 2-bedroom suite, and 1-bedroom Ritz Carlton Suite upgrades with Marriott than with SPG. Your mileage may vary, and mileage tends to improve in both programs with a hotel Salesperson calling in a favor for you, or a $cash sandwich at check in.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You seem stuck on this SPG guarantee but acknowledge it's based on availability at check in. I can't tell you how many times my Plat upgrade has been to any old room on the SPG Member floor. Yes, I have received some nice upgrades - overwhelmingly outside the U.S. - but without confirmed suite upgrades it's very much hit or miss. I'm ready to try some Marriott brands with my newly matched status and see if there is any difference to the upgrade benefit in practice.

Now, before regulars of Marriott Rewards get too excited about available suites, recognize that eligible (standard) suites are not identified to travelers by property. As with free night awards for standard rooms not subject to blackout dates, there is opportunity for room/suite type segmentation that takes inventory out of the eligible standard pool. These are issues that cry out for better transparency.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:35 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by CPRich
My family of 4 all received free breakfast at the Port Douglas buffet a couple of months ago, for a 6 night stay - at least $250 value.

That's my only experience, but hardly a sham to me.
Same here. 4 people, full breakfast.

Change of topic:

While MR needs more stays to be Platinum, I think the level is actually quite similar:
- You can become MR Platinum through Credit Card spent
- There are just so many more Mariotts out there. In Starwood, I will have many none Starwood nights because there is no Starwood hotel.
- My gut feel is that there is not just more Mariotts but more cheaper Mariotts. In other words, I will need to pay more for my Starwood nights than my Mariott nights.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:40 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
While MR needs more stays to be Platinum, I think the level is actually quite similar:
- You can become MR Platinum through Credit Card spent
- There are just so many more Mariotts out there. In Starwood, I will have many none Starwood nights because there is no Starwood hotel.
- My gut feel is that there is not just more Mariotts but more cheaper Mariotts. In other words, I will need to pay more for my Starwood nights than my Mariott nights.
^^^
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme

I suspect that's because I likely spend more to stay at nicer hotels than you do. I also try to travel for leisure at lower/shoulder season. And the fact that I'm SPG Plat100 has its benefits--more likely upgrades as I've discovered. That's a benefit well beyond normal Platinum. But I was upgraded as a "normal" Plat about 1/2 - 3/4 of the time to suites and EVERY TIME at least a category or two.

It's also harder to get upgraded when you stay at a Sheraton or Westin with fewer suites proportionally. It's impossible to get a suite upgrade at most Four Points, Element, Aloft...even though the Four Points Chelsea has upgraded me to an amazing suite on the top floor with a terrace looking out to the Empire State Building.

It's easier to get upgraded at W, LC, and StR properties with more suites proportionally.

It's also impossible to expect upgrades when one is traveling for a convention/conference or at holiday or peak periods--even though I did get upgraded on an award stay last Thanksgiving to a deluxe suite at the StR Punta Mita. I've been upgraded on almost EVERY StR SF stay I've ever had--with SNA or not, and more often to the Metropolitan Suite rather than the Astor Suite standard upgrade.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by kauppias

Anyone else faced difficulty getting UA silver through this link? I could log on to my MR account through this but in the next step it showed "database error" repeatedly. Hopefully just because of too much traffic and not discontinued.
Fingers crossed!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by souravsarkar59
Anyone else faced difficulty getting UA silver through this link? I could log on to my MR account through this but in the next step it showed "database error" repeatedly. Hopefully just because of too much traffic and not discontinued.
Fingers crossed!
So sign up from United: https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...lus/index.html
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Delta Plat
Unfortunately both are not the same thing. The link you mentioned only works for UA elite members (premier gold and higher) who want to get elite marriott status and NOT the other way around.

If as a base UA member you access the above link, it will tell you you are not eligible.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Bolding mine.

There is a reason that SPG has the most affluent customer base of all the major point currency hotel chains like Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, and Accor. While everyone in those other chains are freaking out over free breakfast and lounge/club access, far more SPG elites are ordering room service or enjoying free or subsidized breakfast in the restaurant while also enjoying their upgraded suites at higher end hotels.
Here's a reason there are more Marriott elites. Many of us work for consulting firms or companies that must look out for the best interest of our clients. Though I do agree that the SPG portfolio is much nicer on the whole, I've never worked for a client in a market where the SPG property (if one even existed) was the same or less cost than Marriott. That is why general business travel is the sweet spot for Marriott and the people who don't necessarily care about price flock to SPG. I also think this is a big part of the reason why Marriott bought SPG and has seemingly been so accommodating with the transfer rates.

Believe me, if I had an unlimited expense account, I would most definitely choose the Westin over a flagship Marriott, but that would not work for my client. Not all of us have that privilege. That said, I am excited to use my millions of Marriott points at the newly acquired Starwood properties.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jtmann05
Here's a reason there are more Marriott elites. Many of us work for consulting firms or companies that must look out for the best interest of our clients. Though I do agree that the SPG portfolio is much nicer on the whole, I've never worked for a client in a market where the SPG property (if one even existed) was the same or less cost than Marriott. That is why general business travel is the sweet spot for Marriott and the people who don't necessarily care about price flock to SPG. I also think this is a big part of the reason why Marriott bought SPG and has seemingly been so accommodating with the transfer rates.

Believe me, if I had an unlimited expense account, I would most definitely choose the Westin over a flagship Marriott, but that would not work for my client. Not all of us have that privilege. That said, I am excited to use my millions of Marriott points at the newly acquired Starwood properties.
I think your anecdotal experience, while true for you, is not the case in general.

First, most corporate accounts like MR, Hilton, and IHG maybe more than SPG or Hyatt is because those former chains are EVERYWHERE. SPG and Hyatt were smaller, and therefore understandably less appealing to some corporate travel departments.

Second, corporate negotiated rates are substantially lower than those seen by the public, so your assumption that MR rates are lower than SPG rates is impossible to substantiate. I've worked with clients with both MR and SPG contracts (as well as Hilton and Hyatt), and I know from that anecdotal experience that you are in error--but I can't be certain beyond that.

Third, when you look at public rates in most locations, I'd argue that Marriott properties are the more overpriced--not SPG--based on the quality of property. Yes, the StR may be more...but it's also a lot nicer than the JW or Autograph. More times than not, I've seen the Courtyard costing almost as much as or more than the Westin--and that's antithetical to your premise.

Finally, it is the brand standards which cause many people to flock to Marriott or SPG. Some people prefer consistency...in which case Marriott is a plus. Some people prefer consistent personality...in which case SPG often is the plus. Some people prefer having an option everywhere, no matter the brand...in which case Marriott is the winner. Other people prefer having more unique, interesting brands...in which case SPG wins.

You assume Marriott has more general business travel...when you ignore than Marriott simply has FAR more hotels overall. I don't agree with that assessment.

Of course, there's no way either of us can prove our points. So it will be what it will be.

On the other hand, the fact that you would prefer to stay at a health conscious and trendy Westin (or artsy or trendy Le Meridien) over a consistent but otherwise dull Marriott substantiates at least part of my points. I'll take it.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
I really hope there's a pecking order on the upgrade list with the newly minted SPG Plats as being dead last at Starwood Properties. I also would not mind being last on the upgrade list while staying at MR properties. Not like there's anything to upgrade to on that side anyways in Europe or other Non-NA properties
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
As a SPG loyalist (and SPG Gold) this is going to really help me. I had run out of the easy ways to earn free points a long time ago (credit card sign up bonuses). My wife and I had both the SPG Biz and personal cards. Now I can add to my balance by us both getting the Marriott card that I have been getting mailers on every month for 80k. Even with the conversion from Marriott to SPG that is still 26666 points for each of us and when you add in the 3k spend its almost 30k

I have a vacation in Feb 2018 to Asia. I can book all those rooms before any changes are made in late 2017. I don't know what will happen after that but I will be having a very nice and super cheap stay in Asia for a couple of weeks and now I am gold with Marriott for the occasional stay there (and not to mention the status match I received from Hyatt to be Plat there which already got me a great upgrade on my first stay with them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.