Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:11 pm

I'm sorry - I'm positive I seen this somewhere already....as for the SPG Plat match to Marriott - I automatically received my package last year for the United status match. Is that going to just happen again now for the New Year as I am Plat again or does a person have to initiate anything?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by lilpisher
I agree. I'm going for the 50 nights this year at SPG to get my LT Plat and then will definitely re-evaluate my stay patterns. My Ambassador has been great, and I would definitely get to the 100 if I knew I could keep her in 2018, but with no news on what 2018 holds, it may be a gamble too far.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Marriott has started a personal concierge program, but its qualification requirements are unpublished and it's supposedly experimental as are the guidelines regarding what concierges are empowered to do and what they're supposed to do.

BTW, Hyatt is also moving in this direction. Globalists with 60 night's in the new WOH program will be assigned some sort of personal concierge. It's unclear what will happen to the current private line agent program and how the functions will compare.
i'm 1 year short on ltp so i'll get there at some point later this year....i should hit 50+ nights sometime around june....after that even i am not sure if i want to push for 100 nights since there is no guarantee the ambassador service will be retained....

if i continue with my regular stay patterns & don't divert any spg stays to other chains then i will end the year with over 100 nights....i would expect marriott to announce what the merged program would look like in the 3rd or 4th quarter of the year so by that time i'll know whether to go for 100 nights or not....
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:39 pm

Hi guys

I was over on Amex Canada website to see what kind of cards they offer up there and saw this footnote on the Canadian version of the SPG Amex:

You can earn 2 Starpoints for every dollar of eligible purchases charged to the Card at participating SPG®* and Marriott Rewards®* hotels from November 15, 2016 through November 15, 2017

There's no similar date mentioned on the US site. Could
This be a key date regarding the merger of programs ? Or maybe just Amex losing
SPG ?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Hi guys

I was over on Amex Canada website to see what kind of cards they offer up there and saw this footnote on the Canadian version of the SPG Amex:

You can earn 2 Starpoints for every dollar of eligible purchases charged to the Card at participating SPG®* and Marriott Rewards®* hotels from November 15, 2016 through November 15, 2017

There's no similar date mentioned on the US site. Could
This be a key date regarding the merger of programs ? Or maybe just Amex losing
SPG ?
NEW: US/Canada SPG Amex now earns Starpoints (2 per $1) at Marriott hotels
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Marriott has started a personal concierge program, but its qualification requirements are unpublished and it's supposedly experimental as are the guidelines regarding what concierges are empowered to do and what they're supposed to do.

BTW, Hyatt is also moving in this direction. Globalists with 60 night's in the new WOH program will be assigned some sort of personal concierge. It's unclear what will happen to the current private line agent program and how the functions will compare.
The Hyatt one sounds tempting - I've been pretty loyal to SPG hotels over the past ten or so years but am definitely anticipating needing to look around. While it may be anathema on FT, I'm more interested in good in-hotel treatment than the pure value of points. 60 nights sounds kinda low though for a truly differentiated program. I've also really liked Kimpton hotels and could see myself increasing my stays there.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Originally Posted by tth6133
It was posted in the FT Marriott forum (based on a Marriott document leaked in China) that MR/SPG plat will no longer receive suite upgrades under Marriott Rewards 2.0
If they did that, they'd lose most of my business overnight.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by d'Yquem
If they did that, they'd lose most of my business overnight.
And shortly after the OP you quoted was:

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Debunked by Gary...that was an old 2014 document
So I wouldn't lose any sleep over this (at an SPG property or otherwise).
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by lilpisher
The Hyatt one sounds tempting - I've been pretty loyal to SPG hotels over the past ten or so years but am definitely anticipating needing to look around. While it may be anathema on FT, I'm more interested in good in-hotel treatment than the pure value of points. 60 nights sounds kinda low though for a truly differentiated program. I've also really liked Kimpton hotels and could see myself increasing my stays there.
IMO, Hyatt won't be the saving grace we SPG loyalists had hoped for when the Marriott merger was announced. Hyatt is completely changing their rewards program in March and it's a major downgrade (feel free to read the threads at Hyatt or their Reddit AMA after the announcement). While 60 nights isn't hard for many of us to do with SPG, Hyatt has only ~600 total properties, only about 30 in all of Europe and very few in Asia, too. Also, many of those Hyatt properties are Hyatt Place (Four Points/aLoft equivalent) or Hyatt House (Element equivalent).

More importantly, you only get credit for one room, (if you have mult. rooms for family or co-workers) toward the 60 nights requirement AND points stays also don't count.

Add that with the elimination of welcome gifts (like SPG, points are usually the best option) for their top-tier members, ZERO benefits now for staying at their lower-tier Hyatt Place or Hyatt House hotels and many hotels increasingly playing games with the 'standard rooms' category so they never have award nights availability.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Feb 26, 2017 at 12:22 am
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Alright...no flaming please.

How in the world does one get UA silver if they ALREADY have a UA number?

The link that is posted everywhere (https://mrrewardsplus.com) wants you to sign up for a new UA account.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Alright...no flaming please.

How in the world does one get UA silver if they ALREADY have a UA number?

The link that is posted everywhere (https://mrrewardsplus.com) wants you to sign up for a new UA account.
Click on the JOIN REWARDSPLUS (not the ENROLL NOW) icon on that page. It will ask for your UA number.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by controller1
Click on the JOIN REWARDSPLUS (not the ENROLL NOW) icon on that page. It will ask for your UA number.
Thanks
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
I have SPG LTP, didn't both hitting 25 stays/50 nights last year as the SNAs are pretty much worthless (most expired unused last year).

Just got a Marriott physical mailing welcoming me to Gold for 2017 -- maybe based on my SPG activity as I did only one or two Marriott stays. Or possibly a soft landing if Marriott does that. Certainly wrong, as I still have SPG plat thanks to lifetime status. Can't find my 2017 Marriott status online, but it shows me as currently platinum but with an offer to "buy back" my status for 2017 for 40K points.

I'll ignore this for now, but heads up that there seems to be a glitch in automatically renewing linked Marriott status from lifetime SPG status. That's a separate issue from the still unresolved question of what will happen to us once the programs merge.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 1:28 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by ENIAC
I have SPG LTP, didn't both hitting 25 stays/50 nights last year as the SNAs are pretty much worthless (most expired unused last year).

Just got a Marriott physical mailing welcoming me to Gold for 2017 -- maybe based on my SPG activity as I did only one or two Marriott stays. Or possibly a soft landing if Marriott does that. Certainly wrong, as I still have SPG plat thanks to lifetime status. Can't find my 2017 Marriott status online, but it shows me as currently platinum but with an offer to "buy back" my status for 2017 for 40K points.

I'll ignore this for now, but heads up that there seems to be a glitch in automatically renewing linked Marriott status from lifetime SPG status. That's a separate issue from the still unresolved question of what will happen to us once the programs merge.
Must be an error. I am also LTP and received status mTch to Marriott. Like you I haven't made 50 nights or 25 stays, more like 38 and 15 respectively. Of course this will probably change after the programs merge next year. I would definitely challenge your match to gold.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:49 pm

Hello

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.