Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Deal closed SEP 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs.

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018.

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG
Print Wikipost

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How much would the Starwood dividend have been to Starwood shareholders?
Looking at this it would have been .375. It says payable end of September, but last quarterly report was in July from Q2 ending June. The chart shows payment of .375 for the last year, but for some reason doesn't show it for June of this year.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/corpor...tockquote.html

Also, part of the press release:

"As previously announced, Starwood shareholders will receive $21.00 in cash and 0.80 shares of Marriott International, Inc. Class A common stock for each share of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. common stock.

Assuming that the transaction closes as expected, former Starwood shareholders will be entitled to receive Marriott’s quarterly cash dividend of 30 cents ($0.30) per share of Marriott common stock that Marriott’s Board of Directors declared on September 13, 2016 and which is payable to all Marriott shareholders of record at the close of business on September 23, 2016.

In that case, Starwood’s former public shareholders will not receive the dividend declared by Starwood’s Board of Directors on September 13, 2016. The dividend to Marriott shareholders, including the former Starwood shareholders, will be paid on September 30, 2016."

http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/mar...pproval-china/

Cheers.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So in terms of the dividend, current Starwood shareholders will get 0.24 rather than 0.375 per Starwood share.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
So in terms of the dividend, current Starwood shareholders will get 0.24 rather than 0.375 per Starwood share.
Not sure that's accurate, but I'll leave it to our stock experts who have posted in the past on this thread to weigh in.

Cheers.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Yes, the 30 cents will be paid for each share but only .8 shares of MAR will be issued for each share of HOT. $21/share will also be paid out as the cash portion of the deal.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum = Mid Tier Master!
Done Deal!

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-st...-idUSKCN11Q1OW
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Darn.

To repeat an earlier post, "I for one would like to welcome our new insect overlords..."

Sigh.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Darn.

To repeat an earlier post, "I for one would like to welcome our new insect overlords..."

Sigh.
LOL...+ 1,000,000!

Since distorting reality is no longer an option, on to the business of trying to maximize the value of remaining SPG points. So, realistically, we have until end of 2018 before SPG converts to MR?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Visconti
So, realistically, we have until end of 2018 before SPG converts to MR?
Unless perhaps this lengthy delay will cause that to be pushed out til January 2020? #wishfulthinking
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gumpfanatic
Done, as in cleared by Chinese authorities. The financial transaction between the firms is set for Sept. 23.

Marriott International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAR) and Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT) today announced their merger transaction has received approval from the Chinese Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM). As this was the last regulatory approval required to complete the merger, Marriott and Starwood are now able to proceed with closing the transaction and expect the transaction to be completed before the market opens on September 23, pending satisfaction of customary closing requirements. Upon closing, Marriott will solidify its status as the world’s largest hotel company.

Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
i know i am in the minority, but i view certain hotel points as more valuable than air except for last minute (my norm) travel. last minute domestic travel on UA award is a great deal due to availability vs last minute ticket prices- as is last minute CA J/F using AA/AK. as AA ExP, buying cheap fares and using SWU's has been incredible value- that ended on the earn side in July and i will not meet $ spend to maintain it after next year.
Likewise, I value hotel points (especially cash & points) generally more than FFs for stays in Europe/Asia. I'd even value them more for NY, but points & cash are almost never available in Manhattan.

However, for redemptions in the US, in the past anyway, I've found FFs (AA & UA especially) a better value than hotel redemptions.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat 100, Marriott Gold
That sounds about right 80% of .30 is .24. I'm sure the Starwood shareholders are extremely happy the merger went through. Please note the sarcasm.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AC Altitude50
StarwoodMarriott Merger Finalized

The merger is complete.
I know there is a separate thread, however many if us don't follow it.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...tt-merger.html
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm planning a wake for tonight, followed by an extensive period of mourning.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
It's a very sad day today.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Stariott is finally going to be reality! Looking forward to St. Regis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.