Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Deal closed SEP 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs.

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018.

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG
Print Wikipost

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
[QUOTE=BonnieO;27205608]The problem with your nickels and dimes analysis is that MR doesn't earn 10 nickels and SPG earn 2 dimes. On the conversion angle MR earns 10 dimes and SPG earns 2 dimes. How would that be a slap in the face of MR loyalist if SPG were to receive a fair conversion.

Sorry, I can't figure out what you're trying to say. My point was that MR and SPG points are currently worth different amounts; with SPG worth more than MR. So people can't expect/demand a conversion ratio just off of the amount of points earned per dollar spent.

I honestly don't understand what you're point is in the bolded section. How did MR "nickels" become "dimes" in your example?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Arne's in China signing a franchise deal that will add 1,400 more rooms owned by China partners.
I sense a merger approval in the near future.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I was one of the original lifetime Plats. I'm pondering whether to let my 2016 nights drop below 50 for the first time since 1999. I'm not feeling like it matters at this point. (I will have a dozen or so Marriott nights.) Anyone have any reason to push me one way or another from my tipping point? I know we're all mostly speculating these days.
Do you want ten SNAs to use during 2017?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Reading all of the speculation about how they might convert the value of SPG points into MR points reminds me of some sage advice I once received: The optimal number of points / miles to have in any rewards program is ZERO. Rewards miles / points rarely, if ever, go up in value, so having zero points (or as close to zero as possible) means you used them when they were at their most valuable.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tjk1976
Reading all of the speculation about how they might convert the value of SPG points into MR points reminds me of some sage advice I once received: The optimal number of points / miles to have in any rewards program is ZERO. Rewards miles / points rarely, if ever, go up in value, so having zero points (or as close to zero as possible) means you used them when they were at their most valuable.
That's just what I did. Converted to AA miles during the extra 20% promotion.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eajusa
That's just what I did. Converted to AA miles during the extra 20% promotion.
I think the question is which program do you trust more to not devalue and how many points you have [to bet].
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you want ten SNAs to use during 2017?
Thanks, MSPeconomist. Good advice for others who may be in my situation. I've never used an SNA. I don't like suites, but that's just me.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Thanks, MSPeconomist. Good advice for others who may be in my situation. I've never used an SNA. I don't like suites, but that's just me.
Then are any of the other Plat50 choices useful to you?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and may be more franchise deals (or transfers) to chinese to come
some of the terms of deals might be especially/unusually favorable

365RoadWarrior, what were the benefits that you found valuable?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by username
I think the question is which program do you trust more to not devalue and how many points you have [to bet].
Given AA recently devalued, I'd think it would be more likely that AA would hold for a while as opposed to a guaranteed opportunity for devaluation (the merger).
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Productivity
Given AA recently devalued, I'd think it would be more likely that AA would hold for a while as opposed to a guaranteed opportunity for devaluation (the merger).
The larger issue isn't even the devaluation, but the lack of awards availability. In the past, AA offered an excellent value on their F awards to LHR/Europe and transcons for 62.5K and 32.5K respectively. Now, I can't even find availability, even with tons of Miles. Sure, BA is available, but who wants to pay the fuel charge into LHR, if one can avoid it?

All is well if AA opens up awards availability, but if they don't, transferred miles will have limited use. Sure, one can redeem a bunch of 25K pseudo F flights to ORD, I guess.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Visconti
The larger issue isn't even the devaluation, but the lack of awards availability. In the past, AA offered an excellent value on their F awards to LHR/Europe and transcons for 62.5K and 32.5K respectively. Now, I can't even find availability, even with tons of Miles. Sure, BA is available, but who wants to pay the fuel charge into LHR, if one can avoid it?

All is well if AA opens up awards availability, but if they don't, transferred miles will have limited use. Sure, one can redeem a bunch of 25K pseudo F flights to ORD, I guess.
That made me nervous too. Availability with AA miles to certain destinations has become almost impossible unless you want to fly coach or can plan 11 months out. I was going to credit a bunch of miles to AA for the bonus, but decided to move them to Asiana instead for star alliance flights to Europe. I still might move some more to JAL for an Asia trip or i may just keep them in SPG and roll the dice.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
That made me nervous too. Availability with AA miles to certain destinations has become almost impossible unless you want to fly coach or can plan 11 months out. I was going to credit a bunch of miles to AA for the bonus, but decided to move them to Asiana instead for star alliance flights to Europe. I still might move some more to JAL for an Asia trip or i may just keep them in SPG and roll the dice.
thru N&F i moved a fair # of miles to Alaska literally right before their overnight zero warning massacre. the value is still there for CA flights, but those are experiencing unexplained artificial blocks of late. i don't trust any airline as far as i can throw them- and i can't throw an airliner! i'm still north of 1mm SPG points and view the China delay as buying me a bit more time. Arne's little trip to China makes me think the clock is about to start ticking.

i am also strongly considering moving some to JAL- there is value to be had there and their non alliance deals (like Bangkok Airways) offer outsized value especially via a N&F transfer. the AA bonus was tempting, but AA miles are worth considerably less than UA or AK miles given their routing rules and RIDICULOUS no stopover nonsense. the 20% bonus was negated by this imo. will have to take a look at Asiana- haven't looked at them since their last change.

i know i am in the minority, but i view certain hotel points as more valuable than air except for last minute (my norm) travel. last minute domestic travel on UA award is a great deal due to availability vs last minute ticket prices- as is last minute CA J/F using AA/AK. as AA ExP, buying cheap fares and using SWU's has been incredible value- that ended on the earn side in July and i will not meet $ spend to maintain it after next year.

my point... hotel points are, IME, more predictable both in terms of ease to redeem and value for points (caveat: NOT for US redemptions- which i rarely do). i was in a suite several times this year in CNX in a full hotel with regular rooms priced north of 8000 baht- and i was staying (booked before the move to Cat 3) for 3000/4000 points a night. the suites were over 13,000b some nights. consider my cpp and PLT benefits and they were paying me to stay there!

i don't trust MAR and i do not care for their hotels- i mourn the end of SPG. my plan was to liquidate all but 2-300,000 points by early next year with a lot gone to N&F. i just don't see that making sense given the death spiral to US based airline FF programs. i can wake up tomorrow with a 50%+ airline mile devaluation, i don't see the same risk in my SPG points right now.. heck, i've even added over 200k points to my account the past couple months thru some good opportunities at less than .005/point (impossible to pass up at that rate of acquisition).

so, yeah.... i am still very negative on the merger, but, in contrast to my thinking when MAR bid, i view the risk of my SPG points losing value overnight as much less likely than other currencies (airline) i could convert them to. so... bullish short term, but still bearish long term on SPG points.

someone really needs to create a derivatives market for points/miles so we can properly hedge these 'currencies'! granted, it would be a one way trade for members. imagine the value of AK miles puts the morning of the great Emirates deval!!!!!!
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:39 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Marriott's acquisition of Starwood receives antitrust approval in China; deal expected to close 23-Sep before market open

• Marriott and Starwood announced their merger transaction has received approval from the Chinese Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM). As this was the last regulatory approval required to complete the merger, Marriott and Starwood are now able to proceed with closing the transaction and expect the transaction to be completed before the market opens on 23-Sep, pending satisfaction of customary closing requirements.
• Assuming that the transaction closes as expected, former Starwood shareholders will be entitled to receive Marriott's quarterly cash dividend of 30 cents ($0.30) per share of Marriott common stock that Marriott's board declared on 13-Sep-16 and which is payable to all Marriott shareholders of record at the close of business on 23-Sep-16. In that case, Starwood's former public shareholders will not receive the dividend declared by Starwood's board on 13-Sep-16. The dividend to Marriott shareholders, including the former Starwood shareholders, will be paid on 30-Sep-16.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:10 am

How much would the Starwood dividend have been to Starwood shareholders?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.