Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Deal closed SEP 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs.

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018.

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG
Print Wikipost

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:12 pm

Marriott associate here. Lots of meetings, conference calls and updates internally today. Very exciting news. Can't wait for Friday!!!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by calguy77
Marriott associate here. Lots of meetings, conference calls and updates internally today. Very exciting news. Can't wait for Friday!!!
Please don't gloat or if you must do so, go over to the Marriott forum where others are more likely to share your views. Many of us here from the Starwood side don't want the merger to ever happen.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please don't gloat or if you must do so, go over to the Marriott forum where others are more likely to share your views. Many of us here from the Starwood side don't want the merger to ever happen.
Yup. Why rub this in?

RIP Starwood & SPG.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:44 am

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...rger/letter.mi

"In fact, we don't anticipate launching a newly combined program until 2018."

Arne Sorenson
Marriott
President & CEO
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Trajan

Arne Sorenson
Marriott
President & CEO
He (calguy77) was likely referring to the imminent announcement of an initiative to link your SPG and MR (and Ritz) accounts and benefit from elite status match between programs and point transfer between them.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Visconti
Couldn't agree more.

Obviously, this merger works out fabulously for you. You benefit from the larger footprint where you may accrue and earn more points for your future stays. Anyone in your position would feel the same.

For whatever reason, I never find myself anywhere other than major cities. How would someone like me benefit from the larger footprint? What do I gain from potential devaluation and the sharing of Elite benefits with my soon-to-be MR brethren?

Obviously, there are always winners and losers in every M&A. In this case, I’m a loser; and, that’s ok. I’m a big boy and can accept it. Is it that unreasonable to be a little frustrated by the forced change? Is it that immature to vent a little? Or, even be upset? Sure, it shouldn’t be a passion, but for some it may be. And, if it is, what’s really so bad about that? Is that any worst than having a “passion” for Fantasy football, quilting, and gambling in Vegas?

Sure, points are a kind of fiat currency that only depreciates. Let’s say, for whatever reason, I’ve accumulated 1,000,000 SPG points. At 2cpp, this would be approximately $20,000, give or take. Does this seem like a small irrelevant amount to you? Is it that surprising someone with this amount of points would be more concerned over “prudent speculation” on what the future may hold for SPG than others with say, 30,000 points and benefits from the merger?

Finally, as to complaints on the incessant whining, ranting, and rampant speculation, this is an Internet forum. What Internet Forum is free from any of that? Better yet, if there were such a forum, who would actually be on it? Imagine a Wall Street Analyst tasked with only to provide the raw numbers without any analysis, color, or future projections. What use would that be? It wouldn’t even be worth the paper or web page it’s printed on, since the only thing relevant is what “will” happen, and not what “has” happened. Same here, only thing relevant is what will happen—the educated (FT folks are amongst the most informed on this topic, in my view) speculation.

In my view, the speculation on what "may" be is the most interesting and valuable aspect of FT. Facts I can always stream from Reuters or 1,000s of the free news services.
+100
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
+1000!

Now that this sad merger is a done deal, I am wondering what will happen to our beloved Lurkers? They represent what's great about being a Starwood loyalist!

Last edited by sapguy; Sep 22, 2016 at 7:24 am
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

tomorrow morning is the end of an era

skift.com/2016/09/21/starwoods-hospitality-legacy-after-the-marriott-merger/

When Starwood first appeared in the 1990s, it was unlike any other lodging company out there. It wasn’t a storied family brand like Hilton or Marriott. Instead, it was headed by a 31-year-old dealmaker named Barry Sternlicht, someone whom Bill Marriott once called “a kid with a backpack.”

Funny how, 18 years later, things have changed

“Loyalty programs had been around for a while by then,” said Hanson. “Marriott’s kind of the big loyalty program player, but Starwood launched one that really became the driver for why Marriott had to keep enhancing its loyalty program. It was kind of like a loyalty program war going on between Starwood and Marriott. Where we are today in loyalty programs really came about as Starwood found ways to launch its program around those things that were valued most by guests.”

So, when the Marriott-Starwood combination was announced in November 2015, one of the first things people thought was, “What will happen to SPG?”

“Starwood turned SPG into a loyalty program that stood out form the crowd,” Shealy said. “It gave you access to a lot of these hotels that clearly stood out, but they also brought in these perks and set into motion this wave of new innovations in the loyalty space. It’s been one of the most contentious issues with the merger. People believe so strongly in the value of the SPG loyalty program, compared to others.”

“SPG created relationships with our guests that were way beyond just earning loyalty program points for a free stay,” said Ingham. “I personally experienced that regularly.”

It never ceases to amaze me how powerful these experiences can be for our guests.”
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:44 am

I’ve had nothing but heartfelt sorrow for all those hotel programs lacking the international presence or Elite upgrades often touted by and associated with the SPG Program.

I think it’s fabulous to have reciprocal benefits. I’m so psyched for those MR Folks with 100 days at assorted Fairfield Inns to finally be able to use their hard earned points at all the ST. Regis/Westin properties around the world. If Marriott properties were reticent to give you Suite upgrades, no problem! *Wood properties have been known to process the occasional complimentary Suite upgrade, guarantee late checkout, and in most cases treat you like the true Elite that you are.

I can barely control the excitement on receiving MR reciprocal status! Finally, I can join with those who have reached status by MS’ing the JPM Ritz, matched from UA, navigated the assorted challenges, and accrued 100s of Corp stays at various small Inns around the country. Now, here’s my chance to finally rent a car, drive across this great nation, try out the Cosmo, and stay at the foothills of so many of the small towns I’ve only read and heard about.

I hope the Marriott Associate is going to have some good news! This is so awesome!
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Trajan

Arne Sorenson
Marriott
President & CEO
I think it has been fully expected, if not previously explicitly stated, that the combined frequent stay program will be launched 1/1/18. But as stated elsewhere, and has occurred with airline mergers, many of us suspect there will be some level of cross-recognition, points combination, etc., at some point in 2017.

This is different than the actual corporate merger, which closes tomorrow. And different from reflagging/re-branding that will take some time (just like the few planes still floating around with USAirways paint schemes)
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
"Leaked" report on HFP. True or not no idea:

3M for 1SPG
Gold SPG -> Gold Marriott
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai

3M for 1SPG
SPG Gold to MR Gold would be ridiculous. 10 stays or 25 nights is not equivalent to 50 nights. If this happens, the combined program might as well give upgrades by holding a lottery for all guests arriving that day. It's bad enough that MR doesn't treat PPs or Plats any better than Golds.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SPG Gold to MR Gold would be ridiculous. 10 stays or 25 nights is not equivalent to 50 nights. If this happens, the combined program might as well give upgrades by holding a lottery for all guests arriving that day. It's bad enough that MR doesn't treat PPs or Plats any better than Golds.
which illustrates why it doesnt matter ?

spg >

An upgrade to an enhanced room at check-in — corner room, higher floor, or better view.

mr >

Complimentary Room Upgrade: Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites. All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel.

Guaranteed Room Type: Guaranteed priority for your requested type of room. Subject to availability at participating locations worldwide when your qualifying Elite level and specific preference are noted on the reservation for your stay. (Pillow, room location, extra bed, crib requests, etc. are not included in Guarantee.) Outside U.S. and Canada: smoking/non-smoking preferences may also be given priority, based on availability; exact bed sizes may vary and only Platinum members will have guaranteed priority for your requested type of bed and room.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai

3M for 1SPG
Interesting - if true, this signifies an attempt by Marriott to retain SPG elites by gifting superior status (supposedly, it's still Marriott so automatically inferior IMO). But MR was never going to fairly convert Starpoints so that's no shocker.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
What would you have preferred? SPG Gold to MR Silver?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.