Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Deal closed SEP 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs.

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018.

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG
Print Wikipost

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:57 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by terpzone
I just hate that Marriott requires you to book first to submit. I've passed over a few Marriott properties after finding lower prepaid rates and being unable to submit a price match as the Marriott prepaid price was actually HIGHER than the refundable price and I wasn't willing to gamble.
In most cases, you have to book to submit for an SPG BRG also. Additionally, you most book the lowest rate (even if it is not flexible) to price-match a Design property. @:-)
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:00 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by uxb
In most cases, you have to book to submit for an SPG BRG also. Additionally, you most book the lowest rate (even if it is not flexible) to price-match a Design property. @:-)
I've only used BRG a handful of times, but I don't think I've ever booked beforehand. Was always told to just book within 24 hours with the following language:

I have reviewed your claim and I am happy to inform you that your claim is approved, pending further response from you. In order to finalize your claim at the Best Rate, please do the following within 24 hours:

1. Please make your reservation online via a Starwood website for the dates submitted in your claim.
2. Return this email with your online confirmation number.
I believe Hyatt worked the same way, as well.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:14 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by terpzone
I've only used BRG a handful of times, but I don't think I've ever booked beforehand. Was always told to just book within 24 hours with the following language:

I believe Hyatt worked the same way, as well.
Well, allow this to serve as official notice that the process did change. For the latest updates, visit here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...on-thread.html
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by uxb
Well, allow this to serve as official notice that the process did change. For the latest updates, visit here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...on-thread.html
Well poo.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by uxb
+1, I think I may be one of a handful of people who contributed actual facts to this thread, which has been meta for so many months now. At one point, the thread didn't even deal w/ Starwood's merger, but with United's RCC. A big SMH moment for sure.
The thread wiki is, and has been, available to collate and summarise all the facts relating to the SPG/Marriott merger. Forum members are invited and welcome to contribute.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by sapguy
With all due respect, you CLEARLY do not understand the passion, anger, and sadness of the SPG members.

For us, there is no LOL
Having been on the United side of the Continental merger where the UA elites lost more than the CO elites I totally understand. Having flown 3million miles on dif airlines & having slept a couple thousand nights in dif hotel chains I get that the programs are a big part of our lives.

However programs still aren't life or death, & ranting in advance & just doing wild speculation when we don't know how it's going to play out doesn't really do much good. Once we have actual details let the rants begin.

And since I consumed a bit of alcohol when my beloved United disappeared I thought my recommendation to have a drink might help, even if meant a bit in jest. Sorry it was taken the wrong way.

Cheers.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
[QUOTE=Visconti;27240590]In addition, we'll lose (assuming) the best and most rewarding credit card points program on the Planet [QUOTE]

One answer: --> CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I thought my recommendation to have a drink might help, even if meant a bit in jest. Sorry it was taken the wrong way.
Your posts in this thread have a gleeful tone to them. they would probably be better received here.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...d-12bn-35.html
Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Having been on the United side of the Continental merger where the UA elites lost more than the CO elites I totally understand. Having flown 3million miles on dif airlines & having slept a couple thousand nights in dif hotel chains I get that the programs are a big part of our lives.

However programs still aren't life or death, & ranting in advance & just doing wild speculation when we don't know how it's going to play out doesn't really do much good. Once we have actual details let the rants begin.

And since I consumed a bit of alcohol when my beloved United disappeared I thought my recommendation to have a drink might help, even if meant a bit in jest. Sorry it was taken the wrong way.

Cheers.
Well stated.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by mhdena
Your posts in this thread have a gleeful tone to them. they would probably be better received here.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...d-12bn-35.html
I truly am perplexed that you think my posts in this thread have a 'gleeful' tone to them, other than the posts where I try to make jokes.

I've posted more in this thread than the other one, and in this thread...

* I've provided answers when SPG folk had questions about the Marriott program & been happy to do so, as some will find themselves staying at Marriott brands in the future &/or may not know how the program works;

* I've asked questions re: the SPG program that SPG elites have answered & have been grateful when they have, for the same reason as listed above;

* I've said that SPG is not the second coming of Chr*st & that Marriott is not the anti-Chr*st

* I've said a # of times that elites of all programs (whether airline, hotel, credit card) should evaluate their programs each year (re: of mergers) to make sure it/they still work for them moving forward

* I've said a # of times we should all wait (on both sides) to hear what the actual details are before we go into total rants, etc. Some of the current rants are rants re: things that might not occur (or might - the point is we don't know).

* I've mentioned (as have others) we really aren't going to know what will happen until sometime next year at the earliest, for a complete merger that won't take place in terms of programs until 2018

* I've said that while I appreciate the importance of hotel & airline programs to those of us who have investments in both via staying & flying, it's still not as important as life & death things (realizing that some may compare the comment to the starving children in India when we don't eat our peas, but still).

* I have said, like it or not, we're all going to be one happy (or dsyfunctional!) family come 2018

I have attempted to contribute to this thread & some other threads in this forum where I think I can provide input that would help; normally on more customer service items, but occasional property threads where I've stayed. Heck, I offered up a word doc on places to eat/things to do/transport to those traveling in Vienna, Austria, as I went to school there & have been back several times. I've had many SPG elites PM me to ask for the doc, as well as Marriott elites, and been quite happy to provide them the doc.

Re: your comment that I should post in the Marriott thread re: the merger, I went back & re-read that thread (which isn't as long as this one) & I was not 'gleeful' in any of my posts there.

Cheers.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:45 pm

[QUOTE=Duke5150;27244131][QUOTE=Visconti;27240590]In addition, we'll lose (assuming) the best and most rewarding credit card points program on the Planet

One answer: --> CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE
True, why not?!

$300 X 2 and 100K UR could pay for a bunch of cash & points Hyatt stays! LOL
Old Sep 21, 2016, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by username
I agree. That is why I proposed to CLOSE this thread and start new threads for different topics. It would be specially helpful for those who don't read carefully
Couldn't agree more. This thread has approximately zero content related to the "latest on Starwood and Marriott merger." It's just one gigantic gripe and speculation fest. But since the thread remains, I'll stay at the party!

Originally Posted by lilpisher
To pretend there is anything beneficial about this from the loyal Starwood customer perspective is the only thing laughable. The only question is just how much we'll be hurt and how quickly...
Well I don't know if I count as a "loyal" Starwood customer but I do hold lifetime status in SPG and stay at specific SPG properties when they have proven themselves decent properties that meet my travel needs. But I also eschew the crap SPG properties (of which there are many) and question the marketing BS that SPG feeds me as it overpromises and undelivers (suite upgrades that never materialized, inability of Starwood to impose discipline on its individual properties, attempts by hotels to weasel out of 4pm late checkouts, etc.).

I would argue that what is laughable is to stay loyal to an airline/hotel frequent flyer/guest program in this day and age.

But if you use me as a proxy for the loyal SPG elite, I very much look forward to the merger. Why? Well the reason for me is, pure and simple, the new property footprint of Starriott.

I frequently travel to smaller markets with nary a Starwood property within 150 miles. Since any hotel loyalty scheme is going to overpromise and underdeliver (at best) or outright cheat me out of promised benefits (at worst), I may as well have 1000s of reliable, consistent Courtyard type properties at which I can earn a few token points when I'm forced to be in the Abilene, Akron, Albany, and Allentowns of the world.

The greatly expanded footprint is a huge benefit to some SPG customers/elites.

Originally Posted by sapguy
With all due respect, you CLEARLY do not understand the passion, anger, and sadness of the SPG members.

For us, there is no LOL
I certainly do not.

Please, get some perspective. We are talking about a hotel loyalty scheme here. A hotel loyalty scheme is not something about which anyone should be passionate.

Originally Posted by stimpy
Yeah it's not life and death, but hotels are where many of us here live the majority of our lives. The quality and value of these hotels, and by extension the programs, count for a lot.
I would argue that the quality and value of hotel loyalty programs generally and SPG specifically have been on the decline for years. I've been around here for a long time. The SPG of today is nothing like the SPG of 10-15 years ago.

And the hotels are not the program. What do YOU do when the best quality or best value hotel in a market is not the one affiliated with your preferred loyalty scheme?

* I've said that while I appreciate the importance of hotel & airline programs to those of us who have investments in both via staying & flying, it's still not as important as life & death things (realizing that some may compare the comment to the starving children in India when we don't eat our peas, but still).
(emphasis mine)

Agree with your quote above and wanted to highlight your use of the word "investments." People need to realize that their banked balances in airline and hotel programs are not investments in any way, shape, or form.

Last edited by Herb687; Sep 21, 2016 at 5:34 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Sep 21, 2016, 5:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
The thread wiki is, and has been, available to collate and summarise all the facts relating to the SPG/Marriott merger. Forum members are invited and welcome to contribute.
The problem is usability. When I login and see threads are BOLDed, it signifies new posts. 99% of the time I click on this BOLDed "Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger" thread to see the new posts, it's been useless speculation. To add insult to injury, wiki updates make the thread BOLDed.

Thus my repeat request that there should be a thread dedicated ONLY to official annoucements so that when it does show up in BOLD, I know it is actual news on the merger/integration.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
I would argue that what is laughable is to stay loyal to an airline/hotel frequent flyer/guest program in this day and age.
Couldn't agree more.

But if you use me as a proxy for the loyal SPG elite, I very much look forward to the merger. Why? Well the reason for me is, pure and simple, the new property footprint of Starriott.

I frequently travel to smaller markets with nary a Starwood property within 150 miles. Since any hotel loyalty scheme is going to overpromise and underdeliver (at best) or outright cheat me out of promised benefits (at worst), I may as well have 1000s of reliable, consistent Courtyard type properties at which I can earn a few token points when I'm forced to be in the Abilene, Akron, Albany, and Allentowns of the world.
Obviously, this merger works out fabulously for you. You benefit from the larger footprint where you may accrue and earn more points for your future stays. Anyone in your position would feel the same.

For whatever reason, I never find myself anywhere other than major cities. How would someone like me benefit from the larger footprint? What do I gain from potential devaluation and the sharing of Elite benefits with my soon-to-be MR brethren?

Please, get some perspective. We are talking about a hotel loyalty scheme here. A hotel loyalty scheme is not something about which anyone should be passionate.
Obviously, there are always winners and losers in every M&A. In this case, I’m a loser; and, that’s ok. I’m a big boy and can accept it. Is it that unreasonable to be a little frustrated by the forced change? Is it that immature to vent a little? Or, even be upset? Sure, it shouldn’t be a passion, but for some it may be. And, if it is, what’s really so bad about that? Is that any worst than having a “passion” for Fantasy football, quilting, and gambling in Vegas?

Agree with your quote above and wanted to highlight your use of the word "investments." People need to realize that their banked balances in airline and hotel programs are not investments in any way, shape, or form.
Sure, points are a kind of fiat currency that only depreciates. Let’s say, for whatever reason, I’ve accumulated 1,000,000 SPG points. At 2cpp, this would be approximately $20,000, give or take. Does this seem like a small irrelevant amount to you? Is it that surprising someone with this amount of points would be more concerned over “prudent speculation” on what the future may hold for SPG than others with say, 30,000 points and benefits from the merger?

Finally, as to complaints on the incessant whining, ranting, and rampant speculation, this is an Internet forum. What Internet Forum is free from any of that? Better yet, if there were such a forum, who would actually be on it? Imagine a Wall Street Analyst tasked with only to provide the raw numbers without any analysis, color, or future projections. What use would that be? It wouldn’t even be worth the paper or web page it’s printed on, since the only thing relevant is what “will” happen, and not what “has” happened. Same here, only thing relevant is what will happen—the educated (FT folks are amongst the most informed on this topic, in my view) speculation.

In my view, the speculation on what "may" be is the most interesting and valuable aspect of FT. Facts I can always stream from Reuters or 1,000s of the free news services.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
And the hotels are not the program. What do YOU do when the best quality or best value hotel in a market is not the one affiliated with your preferred loyalty scheme?
I said that the program is an extension of the hotel experience. The hotel itself is what we are directly connected with during a stay. But yes I won't stay at a bad hotel just because it's in SPG. That's why I have top status in a bunch of other chains. I stay more at IC's than any other chain. And yes, I know I'm not normal.

Also I would argue that since the first news came out that Starwood was going to be acquired by Hyatt, my Starwood stay experience has gotten MUCH better. So while 2007-2014 (roughly speaking) weren't the greatest years for Starwood elites, 2015-2016 has been really good. For me anyways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.