Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

suite usage 2 -> 3 people (Additional charge appropriate?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

suite usage 2 -> 3 people (Additional charge appropriate?)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're bringing three people, you should pay for three people according to the hotel's terms. Some places let kids sleep free, but other properties don't have this policy.
Its perfecly reasonable yo deal with nonsensical policies by ignoring them.

(It is beyond me why anyone would invite a third person to actually sleep in his/her room and why anyone would join in but thats a different story)

Last edited by azepine00; Feb 29, 2016 at 11:07 am
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by azepine00
Nonsensical by your standards? Does each of us get to make similar independent decisions according to our standards?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG PLT100, Marriott Gold
I don't really understand this attitude. It's no different than illegally downloading music or lying about your age to get a discount you aren't entitled to or any other act of petty service theft. Sure, you'll probably get away with it, and neither party was seriously harmed or inconvenienced by your individual, illicit act, but you still broke a contract and stole something (a service, in this case, as opposed to something with hard value). I just don't subscribe to the Jack Sparrow school of ethics ("The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do...").
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A charge of only 30 Euro for a third person in a suite sounds surprisingly reasonable to me. Depending on location, in some properties the charge could be a couple hundred Euros.
I disagree. The OP was upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite, and 3 people in a 2 bedroom suite is not "extra". Up to 4 people would be perfectly normal for a 2 bedroom suite.

OP - I would advise checking the room description and initiating a CC chargeback unless it explicitly states that there will be an extra charge for more than 2 guests in this room type.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
I disagree. The OP was upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite, and 3 people in a 2 bedroom suite is not "extra". Up to 4 people would be perfectly normal for a 2 bedroom suite.

OP - I would advise checking the room description and initiating a CC chargeback unless it explicitly states that there will be an extra charge for more than 2 guests in this room type.
I'm not sure that free suite upgrades come with all of conditions that a booking in a suite would normally entail though. Obviously the airline industry is different, but on all airlines, there are significant differences in the fine print between first class seats that come from free upgrades and first class seats that were purchased. This has an obvious benefit to the airline in terms of what compensation and rebooking privileges they're obligated to provide if something goes sideways.

I would assume that hotels have similar protections in place. It's possible that if you booked a double occupancy room rate and then got upgraded to a suite that would normally not carry an extra charge for a third person, you might still have to pay the charge, because you're still bound by the rate that you paid for the double occupancy room.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOSTransplant
I don't really understand this attitude. It's no different than illegally downloading music or lying about your age to get a discount you aren't entitled to or any other act of petty service theft. ...
You should understand as i bet you exceed speed limit occasionally and perhaps jaywalk too..

This is where we draw lines for ourselves and i see no problem about having two kids in a room with us. In years of travel with kids i have never had a property count them as 3/4 person in suites (or occasionally rooms) even though online reservation almost never allows it.

Ymmv but lets drop this holier than thou attitude - its not up to us to police this.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:57 pm

You should understand as i bet you exceed speed limit occasionally and perhaps jaywalk too..

This is where we draw lines for ourselves and i see no problem about having two kids in a room with us. In years of travel with kids i have never had a property count them as 3/4 person in suites (or occasionally rooms) even though online reservation almost never allows it.

Ymmv but lets drop this holier than thou attitude - its not up to us to police this.
There is a definite difference between theft of service (no matter how small) and things like speeding or jaywalking. I don't think it's a moral imperative to not speed or jaywalk, but I do think that theft is wrong in every case. All I said before though is that I don't understand or agree with the philosophy you espoused. I believe in freedom of thought and expression though, so I'm not particularly opposed to other people expressing different philosophies. I will say that I would fully support a hotel if it leveled a substantial fine on you or anyone else caught intentionally violating the rate rules.

As an unrelated side note though, I actually don't speed or jaywalk, much to the annoyance of people that walk and ride with me. I've been intentionally avoiding both activities, plus any other short cuts like cutting lines for several years now. Every time I talk to people about things like this, they always say same thing: "There's no way you actually live like that in real life!" The people who know me well in real life know that I do, and I'm sure they think it's weird, but I don't really care. I live alone, and I travel all the time (almost exclusively alone), plus I don't even own a car (though I do rent them somewhat frequently). That said, I don't expect anyone else to follow my personal philosophy to the same degree I do. I only do it to prove to myself that I can. Every time I don't cut a corner that a normal, reasonable person would have cut, I spend the extra few minutes I cost myself doing a quick mental meditation exercise to reflect and center myself. I've found since I started doing this, I'm much happier and less stressed overall, but this isn't the correct place to discuss that, as it is not a lifestyle forum.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by BOSTransplant
There is a definite difference between theft of service (no matter how small) and things like speeding or jaywalking.
Exactly.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995

aaaaaaannnnnnnddddddd this is why you can't give out nice things for free
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:59 am

(It is beyond me why anyone would invite a third person to actually sleep in his/her room and why anyone would join in but thats a different story)
Well you just have a very limited imagination
Old Mar 1, 2016, 4:35 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
The hotel would have had to clean the second bedroom, change the sheets etc and possibly clean an additional bathroom if there was one. I think the charge was perfectly reasonable.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
The hotel would have had to clean the second bedroom, change the sheets etc and possibly clean an additional bathroom if there was one. I think the charge was perfectly reasonable.
I have stayed in rooms with two bathrooms by myself and used both bathrooms. I have also stayed in a room with two beds for more than one night and used both beds. I have also stayed in hotel rooms with another person where we were both "authorized" and we made a huge mess for the maid vs. other times with "unauthorized" guests where we left the room super neat.

What if I invited a friend over who wasn't planning on it but fell asleep in my room? Should I pay extra? What if I picked up a woman at a bar and brought her back to my room? Should I pay the hotel extra then?

I often travel to Europe alone and sometimes get asked by the front desk at check-in if anyone else will be joining me in the room. Given that I think privacy should be rule #1 in hotels I answer "not planning on it but I may get lucky". While I can understand occupancy requirements based on fire codes, as long as I'm within the safety regulations, It's none of the hotel's business if I bring one extra person and it shouldn't be an extra charge.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NYTA
What if I picked up a woman at a bar and brought her back to my room? Should I pay the hotel extra then?
Well if you have to pay extra for her, just ask her to deduct said amount from her 'service charge'.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I don't get why there are so many people who have problems with hotels charging extra for more than 1 person in the room, in this case 2. I have stayed at many SPG hotels with my wife and daughter over the years (my daughter grew from a toddler to over 13 in those years) and I have had to pay for extra person after my daughter turned 12 in a number of hotels, including ones where I was upgraded to suites. I don't like it, I just have to understand their rules and play accordingly.

If you feel so strongly against paying for extra person charges, then you're free to stay away from those hotels. As everyone on FT like to say, you can walk.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CIT85
I don't get why there are so many people who have problems with hotels charging extra for more than 1 person in the room, in this case 2. I have stayed at many SPG hotels with my wife and daughter over the years (my daughter grew from a toddler to over 13 in those years) and I have had to pay for extra person after my daughter turned 12 in a number of hotels, including ones where I was upgraded to suites. I don't like it, I just have to understand their rules and play accordingly.

If you feel so strongly against paying for extra person charges, then you're free to stay away from those hotels. As everyone on FT like to say, you can walk.
i feel strongly about hotels not making a distinction anywhere between baby/toddler/child and grown ups. making a reservation for 2 adults and two small kids is impossible on most sites therefore i have no way to find out what the rules (or real constraints) actually are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.