Old Feb 29, 16, 2:13 pm
BOSTransplant

Programs: Delta DM, SPG PLT100, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995 View Post
I disagree. The OP was upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite, and 3 people in a 2 bedroom suite is not "extra". Up to 4 people would be perfectly normal for a 2 bedroom suite.

OP - I would advise checking the room description and initiating a CC chargeback unless it explicitly states that there will be an extra charge for more than 2 guests in this room type.
I'm not sure that free suite upgrades come with all of conditions that a booking in a suite would normally entail though. Obviously the airline industry is different, but on all airlines, there are significant differences in the fine print between first class seats that come from free upgrades and first class seats that were purchased. This has an obvious benefit to the airline in terms of what compensation and rebooking privileges they're obligated to provide if something goes sideways.

I would assume that hotels have similar protections in place. It's possible that if you booked a double occupancy room rate and then got upgraded to a suite that would normally not carry an extra charge for a third person, you might still have to pay the charge, because you're still bound by the rate that you paid for the double occupancy room.