FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   suite usage 2 -> 3 people (Additional charge appropriate?) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1749676-suite-usage-2-3-people-additional-charge-appropriate.html)

destg Feb 28, 16 11:18 am

suite usage 2 -> 3 people (Additional charge appropriate?)
 
I booked a room for 2 people, got upgraded to a suite with 2 bedrooms.
So i invited someone to sleep in the second room. At checkin i told this change from 2-3 people. At checkout i had to pay 30 EUR extra for this. Is this ok?
In the same hotel i once changed from 2-3 people by calling the hotel before and there was no extra fee, so i wonder whats up.

mahasamatman Feb 28, 16 11:32 am


Originally Posted by destg (Post 26256569)
At checkout i had to pay 30 EUR extra for this. Is this ok?

Yes. Many European hotels charge extra for more people.


Originally Posted by destg (Post 26256569)
In the same hotel i once changed from 2-3 people by calling the hotel before and there was no extra fee, so i wonder whats up.

Maybe policies changed. Maybe they didn't appreciate you changing the terms of your reservation this time.

abk Feb 28, 16 11:50 am

On award rooms I am starting to see a $10 charge per extra person over two on domestic hotels.

Flews Feb 28, 16 12:12 pm


Originally Posted by abk (Post 26256688)
On award rooms I am starting to see a $10 charge per extra person over two on domestic hotels.

Examples? I have never seen this on points booking.

Cheers,

mahasamatman Feb 28, 16 12:23 pm


Originally Posted by Flews (Post 26256794)
I have never seen this on points booking.

I've never looked, but by the T&C, awards are for double occupancy, so they're free to either charge for a third person or prohibit it.

I have seen North American properties on revenue bookings that charge more for double occupancy than for single occupancy, however, so it wouldn't be unheard of.

MSPeconomist Feb 28, 16 2:10 pm


Originally Posted by destg (Post 26256569)
I booked a room for 2 people, got upgraded to a suite with 2 bedrooms.
So i invited someone to sleep in the second room. At checkin i told this change from 2-3 people. At checkout i had to pay 30 EUR extra for this. Is this ok?
In the same hotel i once changed from 2-3 people by calling the hotel before and there was no extra fee, so i wonder whats up.

A charge of only 30 Euro for a third person in a suite sounds surprisingly reasonable to me. Depending on location, in some properties the charge could be a couple hundred Euros.

pewpew Feb 28, 16 4:00 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2576 Mobile Safari/537.35+)


Originally Posted by Flews

Originally Posted by abk (Post 26256688)
On award rooms I am starting to see a $10 charge per extra person over two on domestic hotels.

Examples? I have never seen this on points booking.

Cheers,

Sheraton Philly University City.

abk Feb 28, 16 7:22 pm


Originally Posted by Flews (Post 26256794)
Examples? I have never seen this on points booking.

Cheers,

History only goes back so far now but look at the Sheraton Madison WI and Four Points RDU

Often1 Feb 28, 16 7:26 pm

To answer OP's question, if you change the terms of your booking, the property is free to change the rate to anything it wants. If you don't like the new terms, you are free to reject them and stay elsewhere or not change the terms.

Best to have asked the property by calling ahead or asking before you invited someone else.

As others note, lucky this was only EUR 30.

Dr. HFH Feb 28, 16 8:16 pm

I recall another recent thread with precisely the same issue. Same OP?

destg Feb 29, 16 5:07 am

Oki thanks for the replys. Next time i simply wont mention if more people stay than booked.

Out of my Element Feb 29, 16 6:59 am

Ahhh, so now YOU want to violate the Terms and Conditions and that's ok?

Dubosc Feb 29, 16 7:25 am

This is typical European nickel-and-dime BS (calm down, I'm European). The crappiest 50/night hotel and an excellent 500/night will both do it. I travel often with my family and they will even impose these extra charges for my 2-year-old. I'm not talking about places that offer breakfast, in which case this charge is understandable (depending on price of course). So what do I do? Don't declare the third person! Sure, sure, I'm not being a perfect citizen but I refuse to pay 10 extra a night (what it usually seems to be) for my toddler.

BOSTransplant Feb 29, 16 8:13 am


Originally Posted by destg (Post 26259886)
Oki thanks for the replys. Next time i simply wont mention if more people stay than booked.

Or you could just not invite the third person to come sleep in your room...

MSPeconomist Feb 29, 16 8:49 am


Originally Posted by Dubosc (Post 26260392)
This is typical European nickel-and-dime BS (calm down, I'm European). The crappiest 50/night hotel and an excellent 500/night will both do it. I travel often with my family and they will even impose these extra charges for my 2-year-old. I'm not talking about places that offer breakfast, in which case this charge is understandable (depending on price of course). So what do I do? Don't declare the third person! Sure, sure, I'm not being a perfect citizen but I refuse to pay 10 extra a night (what it usually seems to be) for my toddler.

If you're bringing three people, you should pay for three people according to the hotel's terms. Some places let kids sleep free, but other properties don't have this policy.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:28 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.