Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

suite usage 2 -> 3 people (Additional charge appropriate?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, LT Marriott Plat

I booked a room for 2 people, got upgraded to a suite with 2 bedrooms.
So i invited someone to sleep in the second room. At checkin i told this change from 2-3 people. At checkout i had to pay 30 EUR extra for this. Is this ok?
In the same hotel i once changed from 2-3 people by calling the hotel before and there was no extra fee, so i wonder whats up.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by destg
At checkout i had to pay 30 EUR extra for this. Is this ok?
Yes. Many European hotels charge extra for more people.

In the same hotel i once changed from 2-3 people by calling the hotel before and there was no extra fee, so i wonder whats up.
Maybe policies changed. Maybe they didn't appreciate you changing the terms of your reservation this time.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:50 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
On award rooms I am starting to see a $10 charge per extra person over two on domestic hotels.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by abk
On award rooms I am starting to see a $10 charge per extra person over two on domestic hotels.
Examples? I have never seen this on points booking.

Cheers,
Old Feb 28, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Flews
I have never seen this on points booking.
I've never looked, but by the T&C, awards are for double occupancy, so they're free to either charge for a third person or prohibit it.

I have seen North American properties on revenue bookings that charge more for double occupancy than for single occupancy, however, so it wouldn't be unheard of.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I booked a room for 2 people, got upgraded to a suite with 2 bedrooms.
So i invited someone to sleep in the second room. At checkin i told this change from 2-3 people. At checkout i had to pay 30 EUR extra for this. Is this ok?
A charge of only 30 Euro for a third person in a suite sounds surprisingly reasonable to me. Depending on location, in some properties the charge could be a couple hundred Euros.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2576 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by abk

Cheers,
Sheraton Philly University City.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 7:22 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.

Cheers,
History only goes back so far now but look at the Sheraton Madison WI and Four Points RDU

Last edited by abk; Feb 28, 2016 at 7:31 pm
Old Feb 28, 2016, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To answer OP's question, if you change the terms of your booking, the property is free to change the rate to anything it wants. If you don't like the new terms, you are free to reject them and stay elsewhere or not change the terms.

Best to have asked the property by calling ahead or asking before you invited someone else.

As others note, lucky this was only EUR 30.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I recall another recent thread with precisely the same issue. Same OP?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, LT Marriott Plat
Oki thanks for the replys. Next time i simply wont mention if more people stay than booked.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:59 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Ahhh, so now YOU want to violate the Terms and Conditions and that's ok?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: SPG lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Super Elite, Priority Club Platinum Elite,
This is typical European nickel-and-dime BS (calm down, I'm European). The crappiest 50€/night hotel and an excellent 500€/night will both do it. I travel often with my family and they will even impose these extra charges for my 2-year-old. I'm not talking about places that offer breakfast, in which case this charge is understandable (depending on price of course). So what do I do? Don't declare the third person! Sure, sure, I'm not being a perfect citizen but I refuse to pay 10€ extra a night (what it usually seems to be) for my toddler.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG PLT100, Marriott Gold
Oki thanks for the replys. Next time i simply wont mention if more people stay than booked.
Or you could just not invite the third person to come sleep in your room...
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dubosc
This is typical European nickel-and-dime BS (calm down, I'm European). The crappiest 50€/night hotel and an excellent 500€/night will both do it. I travel often with my family and they will even impose these extra charges for my 2-year-old. I'm not talking about places that offer breakfast, in which case this charge is understandable (depending on price of course). So what do I do? Don't declare the third person! Sure, sure, I'm not being a perfect citizen but I refuse to pay 10€ extra a night (what it usually seems to be) for my toddler.
If you're bringing three people, you should pay for three people according to the hotel's terms. Some places let kids sleep free, but other properties don't have this policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.