Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All belongings removed from room

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: AA,BA,CO,AMEX,SPG
Originally Posted by craz
No theory, you didnt say anything but that you came back on the middle day to find everything was removed. Had you said I left the hotel for 2 hrs came back and everything was removed I wouldnt have had to ask you what I did.
But, YOU seem to have assumed certain things to fit your theory; which the OP blew a hole in.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:51 am

Dr. HFH stated "In many places, the hotel can't just move you out for an overstay. It has to invoke a legal eviction process, which, in many U.S. jurisdictions, is designed primarily to protect the tenant."

I don't know about the country where this took place, but in the US, hotel guests don't normally have tenant rights.

If you are a resident in a hotel or motel, you do not have the rights of a tenant in any of the following situations:

"You live in a hotel, motel, residence club, or other lodging facility for 30 days or less, and your occupancy is subject to the state’s hotel occupancy tax.
You live in a hotel, motel, residence club, or other lodging facility for more than 30 days, but have not paid for all room and related charges owing by the 30th day.
You live in a hotel or motel to which the manager has a right of access and control, and all of the following is true:
The hotel or motel allows occupancy for periods of fewer than seven days.
All of the following services are provided for all residents:
- a fireproof safe for residents' use;
- a central telephone service;
- maid, mail, and room service; and
- food service provided by a food establishment that is on or next to the hotel or motel grounds and that is operated in conjunction with the hotel or motel.
If you live in a unit described by either 1, 2 or 3 above, you are not a tenant; you are a guest. Therefore, you don't have the same rights as a tenant.4 For example, the proprietor of a hotel can lock out a guest who doesn't pay his or her room charges on time, while a landlord would have to begin formal eviction proceedings to evict a nonpaying tenant."

Last edited by rjtraveler; Aug 25, 2015 at 12:18 pm
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Who needs Ashley Madison when Starwood will do the job just as well
A few things to consider:

AM: You get to choose your partner
Starwood: No choice of partner

AM: No loyalty points
Starwood: SPG points

AM: Hackers break into the database
Starwood: Hackers break into the database

AM: Red face if your spouse catches you
Starwood: Red Amex card (until you get your purple one)

Mike
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rjtraveler
Dr. HFH stated "In many places, the hotel can't just move you out for an overstay. It has to invoke a legal eviction process, which, in many U.S. jurisdictions, is designed primarily to protect the tenant."

I don't know about the country where this took place, but in the US, hotel guests don't normally have tenant rights.

If you are a resident in a hotel or motel, you do not have the rights of a tenant in any of the following situations:

"You live in a hotel, motel, residence club, or other lodging facility for 30 days or less, and your occupancy is subject to the state’s hotel occupancy tax.
You live in a hotel, motel, residence club, or other lodging facility for more than 30 days, but have not paid for all room and related charges owing by the 30th day.
You live in a hotel or motel to which the manager has a right of access and control, and all of the following is true:
- food service provided by a food establishment that is on or next to the hotel or motel grounds and that is operated in conjunction with the hotel or motel.
If you live in a unit described by either 1, 2 or 3 above, you are not a tenant; you are a guest. Therefore, you don't have the same rights as a tenant.4 For example, the proprietor of a hotel can lock out a guest who doesn't pay his or her room charges on time, while a landlord would have to begin formal eviction proceedings to evict a nonpaying tenant."
IANAL but surely this is not uniform throughout the USA. State (and sometimes local, for example in rent control jurisdictions) laws would define rights of tenancy and eviction proceedings rules as well as innkeeper laws.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
That just made my day!

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Who needs Ashley Madison when Starwood will do the job just as well
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by sbierig
I was staying at the Hard Rock in Orlando, FL ... and returned to my room one evening to find everything missing. The previous occupant thought they left something in the room and called hotel security. Security got confused when they came in and just took everything, including what was in the locked safe.

After a 5 minute freak-out and no help from the front desk, the senior guy from security sorted everything out and returned my belongings. He came to my door and handed me my suitcase and was about to leave when I insisted he come in and watch as I confirm that everything was still there. He claimed that my room showed up as vacant in their system but I had my doubts as my keys worked.
This issue about "but my cardkey still worked" has come up at least twice in this thread. In virtually situations (except perhaps for the very latest technology where someone can unlock a hotel door with their NFC-enabled phone), the door room lock is not connected to the Property Management System. The key gets coded at the front desk for your intended length of stay, possibly including late checkout on the final day, and the lock validates the key completely independent of any external data or power source.

If you check out early (or if by mistake they check you out early as in some of the situations in this thread) and the maid prepares the room for the next guest, the room will get marked as "vacant - clean" in the PMS. But your existing cardkey will still work in the room lock up until its original expiration date and time. This is not really a security issue, as the first time the next guest for that room uses their cardkey in the door, it will automatically invalidate all of yours, even if they are not yet expired (the lock remembers itself which "key sequence" that is valid, and won't accept earlier sequences, even if they are still valid based on date and time).
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:16 pm

MSPeconomist, wrote "IANAL but surely this is not uniform throughout the USA. State (and sometimes local, for example in rent control jurisdictions) laws would define rights of tenancy and eviction proceedings rules as well as innkeeper laws."

Well, I can only speak for Oregon where I know the 30 day rule is enforced. Here's a link with more details:

http://lawdigest.uslegal.com/travel/...mittedAsGuests
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Steve M
This issue about "but my cardkey still worked" has come up at least twice in this thread. In virtually situations (except perhaps for the very latest technology where someone can unlock a hotel door with their NFC-enabled phone), the door room lock is not connected to the Property Management System. The key gets coded at the front desk for your intended length of stay, possibly including late checkout on the final day, and the lock validates the key completely independent of any external data or power source.

If you check out early (or if by mistake they check you out early as in some of the situations in this thread) and the maid prepares the room for the next guest, the room will get marked as "vacant - clean" in the PMS. But your existing cardkey will still work in the room lock up until its original expiration date and time. This is not really a security issue, as the first time the next guest for that room uses their cardkey in the door, it will automatically invalidate all of yours, even if they are not yet expired (the lock remembers itself which "key sequence" that is valid, and won't accept earlier sequences, even if they are still valid based on date and time).
HMMMMM.....I've had my key card invalidated by the system when I ask the front desk clerk to print my bill. Sometimes no matter how much I stress that I'm not quite checking out at that time, they nevertheless do something that cancels the key card.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by rjtraveler

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IANAL but surely this is not uniform throughout the USA. State (and sometimes local, for example in rent control jurisdictions) laws would define rights of tenancy and eviction proceedings rules as well as innkeeper laws.
Exactly. IAAL; and if rjtraveler has done a survey of the relevant laws in all 50 states, great. Otherwise, be aware that innkeeper laws are state laws, not federal, and vary from state to state. Exceptions to this rule would be specific federal issues like anti-discrimination laws.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: aa plat
I had this happen to me a few years ago at Orlando Portofino hotel

In my case the front desk wanted a room with two beds and knowing I was there alone, they moved me to another room while I was at a business conference without asking me. I was 2 days into a 5 night stay. But they didn't move all of my stuff, they left items in the bathroom and closet. And the family they moved into my room were quite shocked when I walked in and started screaming (my key still worked). Needless to say the manager apologized, gave me a credit, sent flowers to my office, etc. But it was a huge invasion of privacy. Unforgivable!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HMMMMM.....I've had my key card invalidated by the system when I ask the front desk clerk to print my bill. Sometimes no matter how much I stress that I'm not quite checking out at that time, they nevertheless do something that cancels the key card.
Could it have been the time? I got a late checkout a couple of days ago, and they told me my key would expire at noon and I'd have to get it reauthorized to get into the room after that.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
This is a traveller's nightmare for sure. I hope you raise a HUGE fuss, insist on a total refund for every penny you spent at the hotel, plus 100K points as an apology.

Of course it was some kind of mistake, but it's absolutely outrageous to subject a guest to this kind of treatment. What? Now do we have to hang the DND sign plus a little note that says we have not checked out, we are not checking out, and this room is to be left undisturbed. Ridiculous. They're lucky you are so understanding, many of us would not be.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by judyserienagy
This is a traveller's nightmare for sure. I hope you raise a HUGE fuss, insist on a total refund for every penny you spent at the hotel, plus 100K points as an apology.
Don't you think that's a little excessive for having to spend a minute at the front desk getting my key reauthorized?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Keycards rarely work after I checkout so I just make doubly sure that I don't need the room again before checking out. And, yeah, if you have separate reservations, good idea to get re-keyed when you return each day. Hotels are getting better at it, but still annoying to stack up all your stuff in the hall and trudge down to the front desk.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
Could it have been the time? I got a late checkout a couple of days ago, and they told me my key would expire at noon and I'd have to get it reauthorized to get into the room after that.
No and in fact with late checkouts, I've stood there and watched the front desk agent make me a new key card and then print my bill. When I get up to the room, the new key card doesn't work so I must go back to the front desk. All because I was trying to save time and get a copy of the bill when the front desk wasn't busy and I was there walking past it anyway. I suspect the problem is that many front desk agents don't know how to print the bill without checking the person out automatically, nor do they understand that what they do has the effect of also being a checkout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.