Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All belongings removed from room

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I am starting to think that the safest place to put something in the room is not in the safe. I might have to start carrying my hollowed out book again.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
This is my biggest fear when I have a late check out by a few hours and I am out doing something that I will come back and my belongings will be handled. Issue for me is that I often have a lot of camera equipment, hard drives, things like that.
if you are late "by a few hours", I don't think it is so surprising that hotel either bills an additional night and/or removes your personal things out of the room (you are not supposed to be in the room anymore).

The minimum of politeness wouldn't be to make a call at the hotel?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Originally Posted by nicolas75
if you are late "by a few hours", I don't think it is so surprising that hotel either bills an additional night and/or removes your personal things out of the room (you are not supposed to be in the room anymore).

The minimum of politeness wouldn't be to make a call at the hotel?
Think you are missing what is being said. He says he has a a late check out - not that he is late.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PHX_SOUS
Think you are missing what is being said. He says he has a a late check out - not that he is late.
Exactly. The problem is lack of communications about late check outs or lack of respect for them by some hotel staff.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:46 pm

Seemingly, an overwhelming population of posters that are disgusted by the incident and people wondering what the compensation will be.

At the end of the day, OP has all of his things - nothing is lost and stolen. Just a little violated. So there are hurt feelings and OP has all the right to say 'what the heck?'

A little benefit of the doubt for the hotel? Maybe it was just human error. Maybe just a transposed room number. Maybe they were supposed to clear our room 123 but room 132 got cleared out. Is it an isolated incident and OP just happened to roll the unlucky dice.

Ever make a mistake before?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe it was a mistake, but this is the sort of thing about which a hotel should be very careful. What if the OP had returned to the room very late and his/her possessions had already been shipped to the other guest? In addition, it seemed like the in room safe and its contents were mishandled.

Part of my reaction is the thought that if the hotel is careless about something like this, perhaps they're equally careless about making extra key cards whenever some random person requests them, giving out guest room numbers to third parties, etc. The story doesn't reflect well on the hotel's general level of security for either people or their possessions.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
One more reason why this is troubling; I travel a fair amount for 10+ days at a time. I rarely know exactly what I have packed (yes I do check a large bag when I go to Europe for business). I have spare items of a number of things, extras, stuff I picked up as gifts, stuff I was given, etc. I honestly would have no way of knowing if all my stuff were returned to the room until I got home.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think it's time for the OP to name and shame the hotel.

This incident reminded me of a time at a conference center on my day of departure ....
But I note that you didn't "name and shame" the conference center.

Originally Posted by nicolas75
In many places, the hotel can't just move you out for an overstay. It has to invoke a legal eviction process, which, in many U.S. jurisdictions, is designed primarily to protect the tenant.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Aug 12, 2015 at 8:09 pm
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
But I note that you didn't "name and shame" the conference center.
It's not a Starwood and in fact isn't public in that they do not accept reservations from the general public. You must be part of some meeting/group with connections to stay there.

In many places, the hotel can't just move you out for an overstay. It hotel has to invoke a legal eviction process, which, in many U.S. jurisdictions, is designed primarily to protect the tenant.
It's not an overstay when you have a late checkout.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not a Starwood and in fact isn't public in that they do not accept reservations from the general public. You must be part of some meeting/group with connections to stay there.
... which many of us are. And many of us stay at non-Starwood properties from time to time. If you're going to ask us to respect your decision not to reveal the name of the conference center, then you should similarly respect the decision of the OP not to reveal the name of the hotel.

It's not an overstay when you have a late checkout.
Yes, but that's not what I was talking about. I was responding to nicholas75's comment that,
I took that to mean "late" compared to the agreed checkout time. If you have a "late checkout" you aren't late checking out (as in overstay) as long you do so before the agreed upon checkout time.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:40 pm

... which many of us are. And many of us stay at non-Starwood properties from time to time. If you're going to ask us to respect your decision not to reveal the name of the conference center, then you should similarly respect the decision of the OP not to reveal the name of the hotel.

Yes, but that's not what I was talking about. I was responding to nicholas75's comment that,I took that to mean "late" compared to the agreed checkout time. If you have a "late checkout" you aren't late checking out (as in overstay) as long you do so before the agreed upon checkout time.
I requested that the OP name the hotel but I certainly did not "disrespect" his/her decision not to do so.

The post by nicholas75 was a response to a post about a late checkout.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I requested that the OP name the hotel but I certainly did not "disrespect" his/her decision not to do so.
And still choose not to name the property involved in your incident.... Any particular reason?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
In many places, the hotel can't just move you out for an overstay. It has to invoke a legal eviction process, which, in many U.S. jurisdictions, is designed primarily to protect the tenant.
I've always suspected that this is why you sometimes see seemingly insane rack rates. For example, suppose someone were staying near a Super Bowl in the days leading up to the game and then invoked this legal right to stay through the weekend.

A $2,000 rack rate would protect the property.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by JackE
I've always suspected that this is why you sometimes see seemingly insane rack rates. For example, suppose someone were staying near a Super Bowl in the days leading up to the game and then invoked this legal right to stay through the weekend.

That's part of it. Also, laws in some states (e.g. New York) prohibit ever charging higher than posted (rack) rates.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JackE

Exactly. Your rate is good for your rezzie. If you overstay, it's at rack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.