Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All belongings removed from room

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JackInThePlane
Seemingly, an overwhelming population of posters that are disgusted by the incident and people wondering what the compensation will be.

At the end of the day, OP has all of his things - nothing is lost and stolen. Just a little violated. So there are hurt feelings and OP has all the right to say 'what the heck?'

A little benefit of the doubt for the hotel? Maybe it was just human error. Maybe just a transposed room number. Maybe they were supposed to clear our room 123 but room 132 got cleared out. Is it an isolated incident and OP just happened to roll the unlucky dice.

Ever make a mistake before?
I make mistakes all the time. And I am very apologetic when those mistakes have a negative impact on other people. If I made a mistake that causes me to be in the possession of someone else's property for a time, I would return it as soon as possible, and I would be extremely apologetic. I would also understand that there may be some pretty severe negative consequences to me as a result.

I can understand that this was most likely a mistake, since it would be a pretty dumb thing to do intentionally. And I commend the OP on being much, much more understanding than I would have been in that situation.

Would the hotel be as understanding if I took the TV from the room and returned it a few days later?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:58 pm

This thread reminded me of a couple incidents... A few years ago I checked into a room at a Starwood property in Chicago only to find the previous occupant still sitting on the bed. We both got a good laugh out of it, but I was shocked that there weren't safeguards in place to prevent this from happening.

Also, during a stay in Tokyo, despite having the DND sign on housekeeping knocked and entered my room for turndown service. I was napping and none too pleased to be interrupted. Also, why do turndown service at 2pm?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
Would the hotel be as understanding if I took the TV from the room and returned it a few days later?
Under what circumstance would it be reasonable to assert such an action to be a mistake rather than intentional?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:56 am

Programs: DL Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Singapore Airlines Gold and a bunch of others
Originally Posted by GH83
This thread reminded me of a couple incidents... A few years ago I checked into a room at a Starwood property in Chicago only to find the previous occupant still sitting on the bed. We both got a good laugh out of it, but I was shocked that there weren't safeguards in place to prevent this from happening.

Also, during a stay in Tokyo, despite having the DND sign on housekeeping knocked and entered my room for turndown service. I was napping and none too pleased to be interrupted. Also, why do turndown service at 2pm?
Not as bad as the time I entered my new room at 11pm to find the current occupant on the bad sans clothes.

Neither of us were happy. He was a 250 lb naked man
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SLC 4217

Neither of us were happy. He was a 250 lb naked man
Would you have been more happy he were a 150 lb naked man?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Under what circumstance would it be reasonable to assert such an action to be a mistake rather than intentional?
He takes it, then feels bad about it. Realizes he should not have done it. Mistake.
But apparently the person at the hotel does not feel bad about removing someone's belongings? They do not bother to check they have the correct room, or is it just commonplace for this hotel's staff to remove guests' possessions such that they do not bat an eye when doing so?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
We see this mentioned on FT from time to time, and I'm always struck by two things. First, It's often treated as a "no big deal." Seems like a pretty big safety issue to me. Second, I can't believe how many people don't chain/deadbolt their doors.

Mike
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by s0ssos
He takes it, then feels bad about it. Realizes he should not have done it. Mistake.
That doesn't seem like the definition of mistake to me... lets say I'm at the store and I put a case of water under the cart - I realize it when I get outside, know its a mistake and go back to pay for it. Taking something intentionally, with the intent being to deprive the owner of its use (taking a TV) is theft.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by abk
Over the years I have had a number of hotel safes malfunction and in every case it was a manager who came with the magic tool to open the safe. They appear to watch that tool carefully.
I was staying at a hotel in New Orleans and when the safe malfunctioned it was the maintenance guy who came to fix it-i was a little taken back by this but manager explained that it is a family owned property and maintenance guy has been with them forever and is totally trusted.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:25 am

I had similar accident happened to me 2 wks ago. After an 8 hr drive to Toronto Canada I checked in the Sheraton, got the keys and went up to the rm. keys didnt work, back down to the front desk got new keys and went back up and tried keys again and was successful. I opened the door and saw an opened suitcase and clothes on a chair. I quickly closed the door-luckily no one was in at the time. At the end they took off the parking fee off. $15/day. I was ok with that.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
And under what circumstances do you think a person would just leave all their belongings, plus things in safe, and not checked-out to be intentional?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by sweeper20
That doesn't seem like the definition of mistake to me... lets say I'm at the store and I put a case of water under the cart - I realize it when I get outside, know its a mistake and go back to pay for it. Taking something intentionally, with the intent being to deprive the owner of its use (taking a TV) is theft.
When I stayed at a hotel I would consider a theft too if they take anything away from my room, not to mention the safe, without my consent. It is not a mistake. The maid could of easily called the front desk, the front desk could of easily checked, and as I understand it you needed a manager to open a locked safe. This is not a "mistake", this is an atrocity.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
When I stayed at a hotel I would consider a theft too if they take anything away from my room, not to mention the safe, without my consent. It is not a mistake. The maid could of easily called the front desk, the front desk could of easily checked, and as I understand it you needed a manager to open a locked safe. This is not a "mistake", this is an atrocity.
What makes you think the maid initiated this? Since we do not know the property or who initiated the removal of items from the room.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
What makes you think the maid initiated this? Since we do not know the property or who initiated the removal of items from the room.
So who initiated it then?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
And under what circumstances do you think a person would just leave all their belongings, plus things in safe, and not checked-out to be intentional?
The relevance of your question I don't understand but to answer it I can think of many circumstances where a person would just leave all their belongings, plus things in safe, and not check out to be intentional eg at the end of night 1 of a 2 night stay.
But as I said I am confounded as to the relevance of the question to the example of someone taking a TV out of a hotel room which one might have contrition about afterwards and subsequently rectify but could never be characterised as a mistake rather than a crime

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.