Search

All belongings removed from room

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by s0ssos
So who initiated it then?
I don't know, since the hotel has not responded here. Possibbly OP and the hotel are the only to know.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
When I stayed at a hotel I would consider a theft too if they take anything away from my room, not to mention the safe, without my consent.
From a legal perspective, most state theft statutes have a requirement that there must be an intent to permanently deprive the owner of the items stolen.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
From a legal perspective, most state theft statutes have a requirement that there must be an intent to permanently deprive the owner of the items stolen.
Ouch, so someone can just joyride my car, return it, and it's not theft? Urgh... I need a good lawyer...
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Ouch, so someone can just joyride my car, return it, and it's not theft? Urgh... I need a good lawyer...
This is the law in Germany. To deal with such issues, legislator created sec. 248b of the Criminal Code:

Section 248b
Unlawful taking of a motor-vehicle or bicycle

(1) Whosoever uses a motor-vehicle or a bicycle against the will of the person authorised to use it shall be liable to imprisonment not exceeding three years or a fine unless the act is subject to a more severe penalty under other provisions.

(2) The attempt shall be punishable.

(3) The offence may only be prosecuted upon request.

(4) Motor-vehicles within the meaning of this provision are vehicles which are driven by machine power; this applies to terrestrial motor-vehicles only to the extent that they are not rail-bound vehicles.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by SLC 4217
Not as bad as the time I entered my new room at 11pm to find the current occupant on the bad sans clothes.

Neither of us were happy. He was a 250 lb naked man
Yikes. Fortunately the guy in this room was fully clothed. It wasn't until these incidents that I made it a regular practice to bolt/chain the door.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
As Flying Lawyer pointed out, CB, motor vehicles are usually treated differently. "Unauthorized use" is a crime in many/most U.S. states.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:20 pm

I guess it's a matter of law catching up with behaviors. It is such an appalling behavior that no one imagine people doing (hotel cleaning out your belongings before the contract stay is up) that legally it seems to be a gray area.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by mikeef
Second, I can't believe how many people don't chain/deadbolt their doors.
Kind of tricky to do that when you're NOT in your room.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Kind of tricky to do that when you're NOT in your room.
Agree. I was referring to the occupant of the room, not the person mistakenly given their key.

Mike
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:35 am

Nobody's Perfect

I January, I was staying at the Hard Rock in Orlando, FL for business meetings and returned to my room one evening to find everything missing. The previous occupant thought they left something in the room and called hotel security. Security got confused when they came in and just took everything, including what was in the locked safe.

After a 5 minute freak-out and no help from the front desk, the senior guy from security sorted everything out and returned my belongings. He came to my door and handed me my suitcase and was about to leave when I insisted he come in and watch as I confirm that everything was still there. He claimed that my room showed up as vacant in their system but I had my doubts as my keys worked. He apologized sincerely but did not even mention some type of compensation. I would have thought that a hotel manager would have at least contacted me but that never happened. I survived.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: nada these days
Yeesh! The only time this has happened to me was at a London youth hostel (upscale, as youth hostels go) in 1999 -- the housekeepers took all my stuff during the day and put it in a locker to which I was not given the combination until I paid them £10 or so in ransom. I was running late for a film premiere and my dress was in that locker! Seems like a paltry sum now, of course, but when you're a student, that's like three pints.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
To add some light reading:
SPG property in Europe - my room was given away during my active reservation. Key card didn't work and was given a new one without asking for ID to match the name on the room. Walked into my room and a couple had just finished the throws of passion. I stood there and pointed to my shoes on the floor and asked if they enjoyed themselves on my bed?
SPG property in Europe - on day of checkout but before checkout time, couldn't get into my room. They gave me a new key. Still couldn't get into my room. Manager came up and knocked hard on my door. Housekeeper was in the room with the door locked behind him. Very strange, nothing personal touched or missing.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME this was a real violation and the hotel should have been much more careful. I can't imagine how upset I would have been if this had happened to me, starting with entering "my" room and seeing that it was occupied by another guest with no sign of my belongings.
Pardon me, all of you, for skipping over several pages of posts here, but I just wanted to point out how much I agree with this statement. Spot. On. I cannot imagine the feeling, first of disorientation (Wait, is this my room?), then of violation (Someone went through my things, including my private things that I did not want touched by anyone, packed them up and took them out of my room while I was a guest of this hotel? I am a fairly private person. I don't want strangers knowing what kind of birth control I use, what prescriptions I take, what my lingerie looks like. All of those things are kept in bags or other containers, and then placed discreetly in drawers. Heck, I even keep certain wrinkle creams in my 311 bag, instead of on the counter. I know housekeeping could theoretically open up drawers and unzip bags and rifle through stuff, but to know that someone has, for no discernible reason? Total violation.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by SLC 4217
Not as bad as the time I entered my new room at 11pm to find the current occupant on the bad sans clothes.

Neither of us were happy. He was a 250 lb naked man
I have told this story elsewhere on FT, but years ago, DH and I had taken separate flights up to Ottawa, and I arrived first, and had checked into our hotel (not a Starwood property, just to be clear). The room was what the hotel deemed a Junior Suite, which meant you entered into a living room area, then, on the left were some sliding doors leading to the bedroom. DH's flight was delayed due to weather in NYC, so I took a quick shower and went to bed, where I waited for him to arrive.

Sometime before midnight, the door to the suite opened, and I heard the heavy tread of a man entering. I figured it was my husband. Suitcase was put down. Coat was taken off and presumably set down on the couch. I heard the sliding door to the bedroom open and lo and behold, a stranger stood before me. I gave a little shout. He looked startled and confused. Fortunately, I was wearing a nightshirt, and he was just a harmless man in town on business.

He went back downstairs, while I called the FD and gave them a piece of my mind. I suspect he did much the same.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:25 am

Who needs Ashley Madison when Starwood will do the job just as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.