Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All belongings removed from room

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FD1971
Are you trying to make up a story here?

The OP never entered a room that was occupied by a stranger (which is impossible without recoding the key)

The OP left his hotel room and when he returned, somebody had packed his belongings.

Let's hope it is not a St.Regis, by the way

So why do we need to name and shame the hotel?

BTW, what is a 'real violation' ?

Is the GM going to jail for this 'real violation' ?
Originally Posted by Keyser
i too had a similar experience at the ic singapore a few years ago....had a 4pm late checkout as an ra....i left for my meeting around 10am & got back to my room around 3pm but my key wouldn't work....i went to the front desk, got it reprogrammed & went back to my room....when i entered i noticed my bags & stuff was missing but another guest's items were in the room....i went back to the front desk for an explanation & it turned out that they had checked me out, moved all my stuff to storage & checked in another guest to my room....nothing was missing as i had already packed most of my stuff before leaving in the morning but i got no real apology from them....that was the last time i ever stayed there....
Sorry. I was confusing the OP with Keyser who found his/her room occupied by another guest after getting a key card that worked. Apparently the OP just found an empty room, which would freak me out as my first thought would be that all of my belongings had been stolen from the room, including whatever had been in the (presumably left open) safe.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This incident reminded me of a time at a conference center on my day of departure which was also a day when the place needed to "turn over" almost all of their rooms. I had organized my belongings for packing by sorting things into piles on the bed. [This was part of a long and complex itinerary and I wanted to put some minimal needed things into a small carryon piece in case my checked bag got lost or delayed.] Then I went to breakfast, planning to finish packing quickly after breakfast and immediately move toward the airport, still well before check out time. I was shocked when I returned from breakfast to discover that--despite my do not disturb sign on the door--the housekeeper had come into the room, put everything from the bed into a heap on the floor, and proceeded to change the bed for the next guest. I absolutely had a fit, complained bitterly (they didn't think that there was anything wrong with the housekeeper's actions because "no one was in the room and we needed to prepare the it for the next guest" despite this being several hours before the stated check out time), and got a bit of revenge by taking the time to mess up the newly made bed before leaving and toss every one of the fresh towels (that had been put in place for the next occupant) into the shower and turn the water on long enough to soak them thoroughly. In the years since, I have adamantly refused to consider going back to that conference center. The attitude that it was fine for the maid to do what she did because all of the rooms needed to be cleaned that day still bothers me.
Which hotel was that?

Too bad they weren't one with some sort of satisfaction guarantee (or were they?)
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by FD1971
Apology from the GM and the case is closed.

Maybe, they should throw in some Starpoints, but it was obviously a mistake and they were simply confused about two rooms with a guest having the same name.
What the what! No....no!

This is a security risk on so many levels! The face that the GM was shocked, is shocking to me. Staff - from top to bottom - at this property needs a shakedown.

I honestly hope davidw70, has contacted CCS.

We need to know the hotel because this SITUATION IS unacceptable, PERIOD!
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
This is my biggest fear when I have a late check out by a few hours and I am out doing something that I will come back and my belongings will be handled. Issue for me is that I often have a lot of camera equipment, hard drives, things like that.

I am curious in this case what happened in the protocol for the safe.

I've had the Ovolo in Central Hong Kong have to come change the battery out so I could open it. It was a technician with some device who also checked my ID and that my key card worked. I must have put in the wrong numbers than I normally do and didn't realize at The W in Westwood and same thing security came and verified and opened.

At The Table Bay Hotel in Cape Town I thought it locked but it didn't. Story goes that house keeping came in, standard procedure when they saw it was open to leave the room and call security who comes and re-locks it. I wasn't left a note or a message so when I tried a few times to open it I called the front desk and security came and explained, had me check the contents, etc.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by remymartin
I'd request a bottle of champagne and the amount of points for one night at the same category hotel.
Now that's the spirit! ^

But I like this reply even better...

Originally Posted by ChiCityJetsetter
Request 50,000 Starpoints, IMO.
And seriously, for a screw-up such as this I'd suggest an even higher level of compensation: refunding all charges for the OP's stay plus a substantial allotment of points is the least the hotel can do, unless it somehow comes up with a reasonable explanation for what it did (though it escapes me what that explanation could be).
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
To be honest, I'm not in this for the compensation. I posted because I wanted to understand whether this was a common occurrence which, fortunately, it doesn't seem to be (apart from IC Singapore which doesn't surprise me too much!). I've also been concerned about issues with late check-outs at both SPG and IC properties, so it is interesting to read these comments too.

The explanation I've now received from SPG customer care/the hotel GM does not fully answer every question. However, it does show they have learned from the experience and I'm pretty sure that it won't happen again. In fact, I would be happy to stay there in the future and hence why I don't think the hotel's name should be dragged through the mud for one stupid mistake.

The problem arose as a result of the previous occupant of the room leaving stuff behind. They called the hotel, and (this is where it gets a bit unclear to everyone), it seems that reception gave the wrong instructions to deal with this (my guess is they mistook the previous occupant's name for mine, and hence assumed that all my items were actually those of the previous occupant).

I have been offered a small number of Starpoints for the trouble caused, but certainly nowhere near the numbers discussed earlier in this thread. As far as I'm concerned, the case is closed.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Was this a St. Regis, where a butler just packed up everything for you, even though you were not ready to go?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davidw70
To be honest, I'm not in this for the compensation. I posted because I wanted to understand whether this was a common occurrence which, fortunately, it doesn't seem to be (apart from IC Singapore which doesn't surprise me too much!). I've also been concerned about issues with late check-outs at both SPG and IC properties, so it is interesting to read these comments too.

The explanation I've now received from SPG customer care/the hotel GM does not fully answer every question. However, it does show they have learned from the experience and I'm pretty sure that it won't happen again. In fact, I would be happy to stay there in the future and hence why I don't think the hotel's name should be dragged through the mud for one stupid mistake.

The problem arose as a result of the previous occupant of the room leaving stuff behind. They called the hotel, and (this is where it gets a bit unclear to everyone), it seems that reception gave the wrong instructions to deal with this (my guess is they mistook the previous occupant's name for mine, and hence assumed that all my items were actually those of the previous occupant).

I have been offered a small number of Starpoints for the trouble caused, but certainly nowhere near the numbers discussed earlier in this thread. As far as I'm concerned, the case is closed.
In this case, it seems to me that the correct procedure would be for a manager to come to your room to explain to you and to look (together) for the previous guest's possessions when you're in the room, not for housekeeping to enter your room in your absence and look around for the forgotten stuff when you had a do not disturb sign on your door. If housekeeping had found what they thought was the forgotten item, would they have just taken it from your room without notice and sent it to the other person, without verifying who was the correct owner?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:01 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
As far as I'm concerned, the case is closed.
Glad to hear you are happy. But I for one would appreciate if you would share the name of the hotel. Not from a drag thru mud perspective, but atleast from a allow future guests to be super careful when staying there and making sure DND is on, housekeeping/reception is aware when checking out late etc.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred

You brought it to our attention. One of the purposes of FlyerTalk is to share experiences, good and bad.

How does sharing the name equate to "dragging it through the mud"? We don't know if it's already happened before, since the name of the property is not known. Also, FT is such a small number of SPG members, this or something similar could have happened, just not be reported.

Hopefully you'll share the name of the property.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
You brought it to our attention. One of the purposes of FlyerTalk is to share experiences, good and bad.

How does sharing the name equate to "dragging it through the mud"? We don't know if it's already happened before, since the name of the property is not known. Also, FT is such a small number of SPG members, this or something similar could have happened, just not be reported.

Hopefully you'll share the name of the property.
1- if the OP is OK with the outcome then thats that

2- If I was the OP I also wouldnt post the name especially since the OP says they will be returning there again. If I wasnt OK with the outcome and would never return then maybe I would post the name. Otherwise not every time must the name of a hotel be posted. If the hotel did it on a constant basis it would be all over TA and other sites and wed know the name, it does seem to be a 1 off and I see no reason not to let the hotel slide if thats what the OP feels is the correct thing to do
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jpdx
Of course this being the IC Singapore, no explanation or real apology ever came forth.
Not quite sure to get your point

(PS: I've always received stellar service at this property).
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for updating us, OP. Glad you're ok with the outcome.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable

Sounds like an honest explanation of a simple mistake.

If the GM is smart, your next stay there will result in some nicer memories.

BTW, a very refreshing and down to earth description what happened and not the usual 'Horror stay - I demand a Million points and a call from the President' rant we see so often on FT these days...
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I thought this is SPG's new Magic program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.