Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Select Member Exclusive Email offer [Targeted], 30 April 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Select Member Exclusive Email offer [Targeted], 30 April 2015

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2015, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by princesakura
I received a promo for 1 Free Award Night for each of my next three stays between May 1 and July 31, for use before end of November.
I'm new to SPG (3 stays since December); can someone direct me to where I can get details about using the Free Award Nights? Specifically, I'd like to know if I need to pay fees or points to use them, as well as what the availability is like, especially for Asia/Pacific locations. Thanks!
I wasn't targeted for this promo, so the terms and conditions might be different this time around, so I would read your email and the website carefully.

In the past, the certificates could be used for any property (or, sometimes, any property up to a certain category level) and you redeemed the certificate by calling SPG corporate. I've never paid any points, taxes, or fees (but I haven't used them at properties with resort fees, so you might want to check on that if your were going to redeem at that type of property) and availability was the same as the availability for standard points awards (i.e., if SPG.com showed that the hotel had availability to redeem points for a standard room, you could also use your certificates).
Old May 2, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Has anyone been targeted for more than one of theses promos, so I can get really worked up?
Old May 2, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Not eligible here
Old May 2, 2015, 2:58 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Nothing for me... 41 nights ....
I will go for accor hotels they offer 10000 points after 3 * 2 nights. After this there will be another Marriott or IHG promo...

Let's see what happens...
Old May 2, 2015, 3:12 pm

As usual, some people think promos are a reward for loyalty. They aren't. The opposite, in fact.

Promos are incentives to increase sales. Targeted promos target individuals to encourage them to stay more often. Promos have nothing to do with rewarding loyalty. They have everything to do with heads in beds.

For every person who threatens to walk because the promo doesn't include them, promos deliver countless other sales that more than offset any out-of-joint noses.

Cheers,
Old May 2, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't agree. As I posted in another thread:

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I'm very irked at being excluded. Hopefully all those people that were targeted will be sending positive votes SPG's way, especially those that didn't even know there was a promo.

Many promos don't work for me and you will not find a single post from me complaining. However to be excluded from a promo really rubbed me the wrong way this time. I understand that there are often promos to draw in new members and accept that. The Member Exclusive promo seems to have been sent to a diverse group of regular members, but not me. That doesn't sit well with me.

SLIV, feel free to pass on to your marketing department!
This set of promos seems to have been sent to a random group of people. Some of them received the bonus points and had no idea what they were for. (I don't feel like looking for the thread.) Other people had multiple reservations already booked and were still targeted for the promo. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to who gets targeted with these promos. Hopefully the marketing geniuses at SPG have something they are trying to prove or disprove because it eludes the average customer like me. All this was happening during the Freddies. I chose not to vote this year.

Luckily, I have a short memory and tend to move on. Then this idiotic promotion keeps coming up again and again to rub more salt into the wound, and I'm ticked off all over again.
Old May 2, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I don't agree. As I posted in another thread:

This set of promos seems to have been sent to a random group of people. Some of them received the bonus points and had no idea what they were for. (I don't feel like looking for the thread.) Other people had multiple reservations already booked and were still targeted for the promo. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to who gets targeted with these promos. Hopefully the marketing geniuses at SPG have something they are trying to prove or disprove because it eludes the average customer like me. All this was happening during the Freddies. I chose not to vote this year.

Luckily, I have a short memory and tend to move on. Then this idiotic promotion keeps coming up again and again to rub more salt into the wound, and I'm ticked off all over again.
I'm assuming no Plats got this offer (at least no Plats who already made Plat for 2016). Am I wrong?
Old May 2, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: AC SE
Plat50 with <50 for this year (but almost enough booked to make it). Not eligible.
Old May 2, 2015, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I'm assuming no Plats got this offer (at least no Plats who already made Plat for 2016). Am I wrong?
In the original thread/offer which came out in Nov, there were lots of Plats that were targeted.
Old May 2, 2015, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
In the original thread/offer which came out in Nov, there were lots of Plats that were targeted.
Just for referencing. here is the link to the original thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ail-offer.html
Old May 2, 2015, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by YXXFlyer
Plat50 with <50 for this year (but almost enough booked to make it). Not eligible.
Ditto.
Old May 2, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: AC SE
Not eligible either. I didn't stay much at SPG last year, so didn't have any status, but started moving away from Marriott to SPG this year, so have 8 stays so far and had been planning to stay enough to get Platinum this year. Was hoping for some promos to make it a bit easier to build up some points when moving up the ladder from no status, but no luck.
Old May 2, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
I'm a Plat -- already have 62 nights this year and have another dozen booked for the balance of May and am not eligible.

My wife who only has an account because she has an Amex SPG account is also ineligible.

Hard to say what the criteria is. Disappointing for me largely because there isn't a promo right now.
Old May 3, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
The November thread, IIRC, was nowhere near as much of a slam dunk as 3 nights, 3 FNAs. You had to work to get extra points there. It was a reward/incentive thing to get folks with many stays to stay a few more at year end. Fine.

I'm 100% with margarita girl on this one: bad business. While I totally understand that promos are made to deliver incentives for people to stay, clearly such incentives apply equally to someone who has 5 nights this year in a *wood property as they do to someone who has 45 or even 75. I'm sure folks in corporate are running all kinds of clever trade-off calculations, still isn't going to stop me from shopping around. I sincerely hope that, of the handful of folks who book a few stays at a *wood property because they've been targeted for a promo, some turn into ambassador status people, 'cause I can totally see some folks being pissed enough to cut their stay levels substantially. Some back of the envelope calculation done on last year's stays shows me that the fourth point benefit itself is not worth that much, I could happily drop down to 50 nights and live to tell the tale.
Old May 3, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Flews
As usual, some people think promos are a reward for loyalty. They aren't. The opposite, in fact.

Promos are incentives to increase sales. Targeted promos target individuals to encourage them to stay more often. Promos have nothing to do with rewarding loyalty. They have everything to do with heads in beds.

Cheers,
Exactly, you can actually do better if you are less loyal. The theory with these targeted promos is they drive extra revenue without added cost for those customers already "locked in". But with social media these days you may end up chasing a good few of those hooked customers away when they realize they aren't getting as much as less loyal folks. And unless we do that, we are playing into that strategy. I plan to not stay at any Starwood property until I get a targeted promo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.