Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Surprise for staying at all 9 spg brands

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe this year they'll be a special gift for making Plat by only staying at only one brand.
Drat, I've already lost out. My two stays this year were at different brands. But then again, I don't think I have to worry about hitting Platinum either.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by keepssmile
I tried SO hard to stay all 9 brands last year, but it seems that there is indeed no surprise/gift/chocolates/3 cat6 certs whatsoever
Looks like you are surprised.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
I stayed at all 9 brands last year and I have to tell you, it's not easy to do.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Once again showing the challenges of being in a marketing department. Do something special once and you get smacked if you don't do the same (or, often, better) perpetually.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by jb3t
I stayed at all 9 brands last year and I have to tell you, it's not easy to do.
I hope they have an Element planned for Bangkok and then I could do the 9 in 9 nights.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I think they're working on a bonus for staying in all 1,175 Starwood hotels in one year.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I think they're working on a bonus for staying in all 1,175 Starwood hotels in one year.
^^^
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by CPRich
Once again showing the challenges of being in a marketing department. Do something special once and you get smacked if you don't do the same (or, often, better) perpetually.
Completely agree. Damned if they do, damned if they don't sometimes.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:47 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Marketing 101. It's all about perception. And I think the SPG Marketing team has been very clever in this regard. They deliberately never came out and said this was a one-off, or that it would not be repeated (or conversely that it would be repeated).

Their careful response was a great marketing ploy. A very coy - it's a surprise / don't know about future etc etc. The reason for this was to implictly encourage guests to try to achieve the metric of stays all 9 brands without any guarantee of any award this year.

SPG marketing can of course now have their cake and eat it too - by not repeating the incentive or some form of it. However, it may certainly influence future buyer behavior. And they clearly don't need me to suggest that they consult some marketing text which may help quantify the tradeoffs between long term customer trust and retention versus one-off gains.

P.S. And in the interests of full disclosure, I did happen to stay at all 9 brands last year, so feel free to discount whatever bias you think I may have!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Their careful response was a great marketing ploy. A very coy - it's a surprise / don't know about future etc etc. The reason for this was to implictly encourage guests to try to achieve the metric of stays all 9 brands without any guarantee of any award this year.
My guess is that it was something far less nefarious: I think it was just a quirky "thank you" to the small group of SPG members who happened to stay in all nine brands that year. It wasn't meant as an on-going promotion or part of the program, and to the degree recipients told others about this nice surprise, I suspect SPG expected others to view it just as SPG doing something nice, not like something they too should expect. It's kind of like hearing someone found chocolates or a birthday cake or flowers in their room and thinking you're entitled to it too. I had a long conversation about the Philippines with the Filipino pastry chef at the Westin Seattle last year and he sent some elaborate chocolates he made, including a replica of the Space Needle, to my room. That similarly didn't mean Flyertalkers should seek him out and spend time talking about the Philippines because they expect doing so will yield chocolates.

(On the staying at all SPG properties thought, it's something I've been tempted to try over a lifetime, but it would clearly be quite difficult, particularly with the many properties under construction. I haven't updated my list of different SPG properties I've stayed at recently, but it is over a hundred.)
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Anybody receive the same gift for 2013 stay?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Just confirming that nothing came from SPG in the past few months. I'm unintentionally at 8 brands YTD and thought I'd hit Le Meridien just for the heck of it, but would be more inclined if there were a prize for it.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by Songer5
Just confirming that nothing came from SPG in the past few months. I'm unintentionally at 8 brands YTD and thought I'd hit Le Meridien just for the heck of it, but would be more inclined if there were a prize for it.
There was nothing (so far) for doing so in 2013, so I wouldn't be expecting one in 2014... but who knows?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 4:42 pm

last year I got a nice gift as Ambassador Guest for my Birthday.. This year, nada, not even a greeting from my ambassador.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plt, Marriott Gold, National Exec
Wink

Well, I just completed staying at all 9 brands again this year (hit for the cycle again). Don't know if there will be any special surprise or not but I do like the fun/challenge of trying to accomplish it each year.

We will see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.