Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Official 2013 Category Changes - effective 5 March 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2013 Category Changes - effective 5 March 2013

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jkburns1
I don't think anyone is celebrating devaluation but many FT'ers redeem at the higher end properties and SPG's devaluation happened at the mid category level. SPG also benefitted from announcing after IHG gave us a punch to the gut, then Marriott kicked us in the teeth hard enough to knock a few out, and then that was followed by a knock-out roundhouse from Hilton.

So are all these loyalty program changes significant devaluations? Yes.

Is SPG the best of the bad and ugly - yes (depending on where you find redemption values).

Lurker tell your cronies reading the thread not to go patting themselves on the back we're all still bitter at the continued showing that loyal customers are taking it on the chin.

Anyone who's watched the news or knows travel industry knows we've been hearing for a good 6 months how hotels are going to go the way of airlines with added hidden fees, and additional surcharges (and probably crappier service - and if you stay at any US based Sheratons just go into the majority of their club lounges and you tend to get a first hand look at how much they skimp and couldn't care less about providing quality service).

So basically the travel industry continues to hammer frequent travelers in "anticipation" of a better travel economy. SPG did better then the rest of the beatings from the hotel loyalty programs so sadly the "celebration" on this thread means we've reached such a sad state of devaluation we're now happy when we don't get roundhouse kicks to the head and instead only get a punch from SPG that knocks some wind out for a few minutes...

I'm sure the bean counters are sitting next to Lurker saying "see guys told ya we could pull this off and these suckers would still be happy."
Simply put, the news was taken well because Hilton numbed everyone, without that it would have been much more negatively received.

I think its time to move all spending onto Cashback cards and start staying at boutique hotels again. Loyalty is a two way street.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: Delta-Platinum, Starwood-Platinum
Originally Posted by xxmimxx
I dont see anything to celebrate here...
Agreed ... not very pleased.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:40 am

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Simply put, the news was taken well because Hilton numbed everyone, without that it would have been much more negatively received.

I think its time to move all spending onto Cashback cards and start staying at boutique hotels again. Loyalty is a two way street.
This x1000.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:27 am

Sheraton Four Point Lexington, it went up from 1 to 2, it should have gone from 1 to 0.5. Worst hotel in the world.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm surprised that the Beaver Creek Westin is dropping from Cat 6 to Cat 5. I'm holding a MLK week reservation there right now, and the current non-refundable rate is $869/night. I gladly booked at 17K (20K/nt, 1 free), and will be even more than happy to rebook at under 14K.

The Hawaii increases do kind if s@ck - good thing I'm already holding Princeville STR, Princeville Westin, Kaanapali Villas and Sheraton reservations for this summer.

Anyone have the total count of properties by level? I'd like to do the same aggregate calculation that I did with MR and HH. Frankly, cherry picking three properties, twisting them into 100% increases, and using that to illustrate how horrible these increases are is disingenuous.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrredskin
using this comparison, it would be like her saying she just bought a brand new BMW 7 Series and financed at 6.9% as the "trivial" portion.
Yes, An aggregate 4-5% increase (est), including 15 high-end (cat 5/6) properties going up and 23 going down, is exactly like spending a fortune.

Exactly like it.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
Anyone have the total count of properties by level?
I found/counted them, and can update my spreadsheet when I have time.

Without knowing the redemption figures by properties, I've simplified the analysis by determining the number of points it would take to redeem one night at every property in the system, at the new categories and the old categories, to get a feel for overall system increases.

MR: 9.6%

HH: 15% (est - still looking for detailed numbers)

SPG: 4.7%

Last edited by CPRich; Feb 21, 2013 at 12:06 pm
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:52 pm

I found/counted them, and can update my spreadsheet when I have time.

Without knowing the redemption figures by properties, I've simplified the analysis by determining the number of points it would take to redeem one night at every property in the system, at the new categories and the old categories, to get a feel for overall system increases.

MR: 9.6%

HH: 15% (est - still looking for detailed numbers)

SPG: 4.7%

Were you using the spreadsheet that I setup? If not, I have the same numbers you have, which is good.

For anyone else using it, did anyone notice any issues? Looks like quite a few people are still accessing it/downloading it. Let me know if anything is amiss.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by schley
This is absolutely true. The c and p increase combined with a cat increase is deadly. I hope no one was planning on going to Fiji :

Sheraton Denarau Villas
ASIA/PACIFIC
Fiji
SHERATON
4 OLD
6 NEW

This is REALLY painful for both point redemptions and c and p after March 5.
Now- 10k points or 4k and $60
March 5 - 20-25k points or 10k and $180!!!!!!!!

That is a HUGE devaluation at that property. It sounds like the Taj Mahal.
Book now. If they went too far, will drop to 5 next year. Not the centre of the world like Venice or Hawaii.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Agree that this is a pretty serious devaluation, especially when you add in the C&P mess from last month. The only thing that "saves" it is how bad the IHG, Marriott and Hilton changes were.

The only major program that didn't have a devaluation this year was Hyatt. Only 17 properties changed category; for every up there was a corresponding down, and the net effect was actually a decrease. Too bad they're not everywhere you want to go.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:15 pm

Why I am annoyed, is that its the Cat 6's that I target as my aspirational trips; so when they bump from 20K to 30k a night that is a 50% increase just the same as Hilton (worse actually..) and 5-6 isn't much better.

I understand we are supposed to believe in 'inflation' (though there is no real proof of this concept) but telling me that there are more points out there from Credit Cards means they have to raise the prices is BS.

You sell me the credit card (with an annual fee) to get the points at the price that is shown.

I focus my travel AND my credit card spend on the Loyal brand... and what - you raise the price of my next vacation by 50%, and I'm supposed to be happy because at least it wasn't as bad as Hilton raising the price by 50%...
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WhyPayRent
Were you using the spreadsheet that I setup?
I downloaded and used it for the up/down counts, then manually counted from the SPG website that listing the properties by category.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why I am annoyed, is that its the Cat 6's that I target as my aspirational trips; so when they bump from 20K to 30k a night that is a 50% increase just the same as Hilton (worse actually..) and 5-6 isn't much better.
Did you miss that more 6's went down than up? And more 5's went down than up?

I understand we are supposed to believe in 'inflation' (though there is no real proof of this concept)
You don't believe in the concept of inflation?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:35 pm

Did you miss that more 6's went down than up? And more 5's went down than up?

You don't believe in the concept of inflation?
I don't believe in inflation for points. And if was to be convinced I wouldn't expect more than a flat 3-5% raise per year, rather than 50%.

And lets be honest, out of those that went down, how many are great hotels, vs those that went up? Do you really think they did you a favor here?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by starflyer
... but it might be time to at least look around and check out the competition, which I haven't done in years.
Don't think you will find anything better at the competition - not with the punches we got from IHG, Marriott, and HH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.