Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: a
I am Spg Lifetime plat with 1075 nights ... so I am going from being top of the line for upgrades to being third in line .. very disappointing.. Staying over 1000 nights with spg is a testament to my loyalty that I feel should have been rewarded
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
For us, the bigger issue is the 10 years platinum for SPG LTP. Marriott does not require 10 years.. Judicious credit card spend on the Marriott card could get you Marriott LTP in 5 years. We (well hubby) have the nights for SPG LTP (member since 1999 and Westin member prior to that). Gold all but the last 5 years in which we were Platinum. I think 10 years Plat is harder than 750 nights. Combined nights will be over 1000 by the end of the year, have 1.75M Marriott lifetime points, 90k current SPG points and I'm sure close to 2M lifetime SPG points...we are earners and burners...just in the last year we"ve stayed at Royal Palm South Beach, St. Regis Maldives, and 2 rooms at Westin Maui for 6 nights over Christmas. We *don't* put everyday spend on the SPG Amex (use CSR, except for United, home improvement and grocery stores which goes on the no longer available United Premier select total of 10k PQMs on that card which helps towards 1K). So IMHO, everything should be equal...Marriott LTP should have to have 10 years as Plat to get LTPP in the new program and SPG LTP should have to have 10 years, 750 nights, 2M points lifetime...and yes, SPG points, not trippled. If not, than I can make an argument that we have just as much right to be LTPP in the new program as anyone else.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by wimvlb
I am Spg Lifetime plat with 1075 nights ... so I am going from being top of the line for upgrades to being third in line .. very disappointing.. Staying over 1000 nights with spg is a testament to my loyalty that I feel should have been rewarded
Welcome to being a poster on FT! I wish it could have been for a more pleasant issue.

Please, contact SPG and let them know your situation. I do believe there is time for them to change the requirements and hope they do, but if they don't hear from us, don't expect a change.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by mooper
I've seen mostly complaints about SPG LT Plats as a group not being mapped, but agree with you that if an exception is made for just 750+ or 1000+ night SPG LT Plats, then it's reasonable.

If you look at the current SPG Plat benefits and compare to the new program Plat benefits, they are closely aligned.
To conversely argue for a pathway for SPG LTP between 500 and 750 nights to have some pathway to (even eventual) LTPP, I as but one example altered my stay patterns after the merger was announced to experience more of the Marriott portfolio, and ended up staying nearly 100 nights on the Marriott side in the past year or two. I'm currently just over 600 nights on the SPG side, but if the Marriott nights are added in at 8/1/18 from the past couple of years, I will likely have over 750 nights. I recognize that there are many people in their own unique situations, but I would have 100% kept all of my nights on the Starwood side for the last two years if I knew that 750 within SPG only was the threshold for this new status. It's not for the name or prestige of LTPP, there are real implications in terms of suite upgrades (very important when traveling with family), and seemingly the United partnership which may only be at the 75-night level.

Absolutely still holding out hope that the thoughtful Marriott leaders reading these threads will yet announce some modifications or clarifications that improve the outlook for those on the SPG LTP side.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 360guy
I have been a platinum for 10 years and currently have 475 SPG LT nights. I am 25 nights away from making LT Platinum in the SPG Program. I also have 105 LT nights in the Marriott Program. Will I get LT Platinum status in the New Program in August, without completing the additional 25 nights in the SPG Program ?
Originally Posted by RogerD408
From what I read, you have two choices: 1) make SPG LTP with 500 nights at SPG properties by 12/31, or 2) have 600 nights in any of the properties after 8/1.

As it reads now, only those making MR LTP by 8/1 will get LTPP with no means to get there using SPG numbers. I really hope that changes.
In nearly the same situation here (450/10 yr plat SPG + 100ish MR nts) - my read on this is the same.
Before this week's announcement we thought of pushing for 500 nts this year but it looks like we can hit 600 the natural way early in 2019 and get the very same LT Plt... We'd definitely do 50 nts even by august if it led to LT PP
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by azepine00
In nearly the same situation here (450/10 yr plat SPG + 100ish MR nts) - my read on this is the same.
Before this week's announcement we thought of pushing for 500 nts this year but it looks like we can hit 600 the natural way early in 2019 and get the very same LT Plt... We'd definitely do 50 nts even by august if it led to LT PP
You'd need 200 (making 750 LT nights) to earn MR LTP to get bumped to MPG LTPP IF they change their minds and merge the numbers before assigning status. I suspect/hope we will see some changes to acknowledge those of us that were very loyal to SPG. Personally, I'm at 493/740, so I may step over today's line just to lock it in.
You would need 650 MR Nights to earn MR LTP under the original announcement. But I hear they are rethinking that.
jrothenb likes this.

Last edited by RogerD408; Apr 18, 2018 at 4:42 pm Reason: Ooops, got it backwards.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by christianj
I am not keen on some of the changes to SPG/MR (especially the Lifetime Elite and Premier issue) BUT we saw where that got us with IHG and I would hope HH does not do this. IHG has become the worst program out there and HH already has it's own issues. I personally think HH could get some of us to move more business over to them IF they actually had decent Diamond benefits. Currently they mirror the "old" Marriott Rewards structure were Gold is almost as good as Diamond. If HH introduced suite upgrades and confirmed upgrades for a certain number of nights there would be a lot of us that would seriously consider a move. I wouldn't move for some points which essentially will be devalued anyway based on HH track record.
i'm not saying i would move if they threw a few points my way....hilton devalued their points & ihg offered points in return....marriott has devalued the program for spg members so if hilton were to offer similar perks that spg did then that would convince a lot of people to move....this is a chance for hilton & others to gain a decent number of members who have been with spg for a long time....i don't think they are going to do anything about it & in my opinion it would be a wasted opportunity....
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I don't understand this at all. Why would it be fair to award LT SPG members who earned LT status at the 50+ night tier the same status as Marriott members who earned LT status at the 75+ night tier? The mapping they already laid out seems almost perfectly in line with the nights loyalty and the related perks... It seems you are focusing on the naming convention of Platinum = Platinum which isn't accurate here.
what's not there to understand????there are those who are well in excess of 750 nights & 10 years plat status with spg....the same requirement marriott lifetime plats had....so why is it not fair to give the same status to these members????
wimvlb likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
The biggest issue is the unfairness of it. As stated before, there is no way for someone with a significant number of SPG stays to get to the highest lifetime status via grandfathering.

This Is unfair to both SPG AND Marriott members. Marriott made it seem like, before this announcement, that staying at SPG properties was equivalent to staying at Marriott properties and that status, including lifetime, would be recognized across both programs. I’m sure there were some Marriott members who shifted stays to SPG and were on the cusp of LT Marriott Platinum. They are just as screwed as the SPG elites. Marriott needs to make this right​​​​​.
Just to be clear, I think the overall mappings are fair. The biggest issue is that SPG stays do not count at all towards the lifetime premier platinum status and this is patently unfair especially considering this announcement was many years in the making and members across both programs shifted their stays; SPG nights and points should count toward Marriott Lifetime status @750 nights and 2 million points.

Last edited by sfosyd; Apr 18, 2018 at 11:27 am
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some may be in excess, but many are not, so it's really just the name Platinum that is being focused upon.
The reality is that LT Plat SPG is 50+ nights, and the relevant perks are akin to LT Gold MR, which is also 50+ nights.
LT Plat MR is 75+ nights and the perks more closely align with the new LT PP perks.
Giving 50+ night loyalists the same status as 75+ would cause more of a backlash than keeping 50+ in line with what they had before.
if you go through this thread then you will realise that those under 750 lifetime nights are not asking to be put at the same level at their marriott counterparts....its those that are in excess of 750 nights who are feeling left out....
RogerD408 and wimvlb like this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
I don't understand this at all. Why would it be fair to award LT SPG members who earned LT status at the 50+ night tier the same status as Marriott members who earned LT status at the 75+ night tier? The mapping they already laid out seems almost perfectly in line with the nights loyalty and the related perks... It seems you are focusing on the naming convention of Platinum = Platinum which isn't accurate here.
Realistically, someone could have Marriott LTP without ever having been a Marriott Platinum. The requirement is 750 nights and 2M points. Over the lifetime of the program I can easily see how someone could have 750 nights and 2M points without ever having had Platinum status. Heck, we have almost 500 nights and 1.75 M points and have never have "earned" more than silver status because of the credit card (although with United, we got Gold a few years back, and now with SPG, we have Platinum). One could earn a lot of those 750 nights with the credit card. So no, Marriott LTP does not mean that the person stayed 75 nights/year. There is no way to get to SPG Plat without earning it. 10 years Plat is much, much harder, in either program.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I understand why the current LTP Plats are upset, particularly the ones with over 750 and the points.

But I do not have a dog in the hunt since I was never going to make it anyway because of the points.

I am SPG LT Gold. What I am VERY happy about is that there is in fact a clear and reasonable path to LT Plat. (points gone!!!!) Honestly this is better than I expected.

But......since the new Plat is 50, I think MR Gold years should count too in additional to SPG Plat and MR Plat years. I already have the nights.

Of course MR cannot tell me how many Plat and Gold years I have......

I would just like to know where I stand

I'm sure this will all come out in the wash soon.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Keyser
what's not there to understand????there are those who are well in excess of 750 nights & 10 years plat status with spg....the same requirement marriott lifetime plats had....so why is it not fair to give the same status to these members????
Originally Posted by Keyser
if you go through this thread then you will realise that those under 750 lifetime nights are not asking to be put at the same level at their marriott counterparts....its those that are in excess of 750 nights who are feeling left out....
I take no issue with SPG LTPs with 750+ nights and 2MIL+ points (or 667K SPG equiv) also being grandfathered to LTPP. Only issue is with *all* SPG LTPs joining that group.

jrothenb summed it up brilliantly in this post.

Originally Posted by jmkclee
For us, the bigger issue is the 10 years platinum for SPG LTP. Marriott does not require 10 years...
Originally Posted by jmkclee
Realistically, someone could have Marriott LTP without ever having been a Marriott Platinum. The requirement is 750 nights and 2M points. Over the lifetime of the program I can easily see how someone could have 750 nights and 2M points without ever having had Platinum status.
Great points and valid concerns. Note, however, that to get 750 MR nights, you'd have to average at *least* 75/year for at *least* 10 years, which is averaging Platinum. If you were short a year, say 50 nights, you'd need to do 100 another year. Using a credit card to get EQNs is possible with both programs, as is using award nights (which I believe has counted for SPG much longer).
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
If you look at the current SPG Plat benefits and compare to the new program Plat benefits, they are closely aligned.
But that's not what you said - you implied that MR Plat benefits are better aligned w/the higher tier PPlat, and SPG Plat benefits are better aligned w/the regular Plat. Thus basically implying that MR Plat benefits were more substantial than SPG Plat benefits.

I am calling BS on that, as most would generally agree the reverse was true.

So curious as to your rationale why.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Great points and valid concerns. Note, however, that to get 750 MR nights, you'd have to average at *least* 75/year for at *least* 10 years, which is averaging Platinum. If you were short a year, say 50 nights, you'd need to do 100 another year. Using a credit card to get EQNs is possible with both programs, as is using award nights (which I believe has counted for SPG much longer).
This isn't really telling the full story...my $60K spend on the SPG AmEx last year got me 5 EQNs. That spend on the Marriott Visa would have gotten me 35 Marriott nights. Plus the rollover nights...yes, Starwood would give you multiple room credit going back a few years now, but that is also still actual room revenue, vs. CC or rollover nights.

I would have made Marriott LT Plat in ~6 years, FWIW...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.