Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Looking ahead, I'll finish the year with 49 nights based on current reservations... (already requalified plat on stays) and don't really need any more real hotel nights. Are 10 SNA's worth $100 or whatever I have to spend for a cheap one night mattress run? I was never able to use the SNA's I got first year of the program, I tried multiple times with no success. Not trolling...they just never cleared for any of my stays. Now that the program is more mature - are these 10 certs worth the Benjamin?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by SportsTech
Looking ahead, I'll finish the year with 49 nights based on current reservations... (already requalified plat on stays) and don't really need any more real hotel nights. Are 10 SNA's worth $100 or whatever I have to spend for a cheap one night mattress run? I was never able to use the SNA's I got first year of the program, I tried multiple times with no success. Not trolling...they just never cleared for any of my stays. Now that the program is more mature - are these 10 certs worth the Benjamin?
I'm in the same boat as you. 49 nights to end the year. I have a BRG at $78 to reach 50, don't really need it but I guess I'll just take the 10 SNA's.

I've had around 13 SNA's expire earlier this year but I'm still going for it. Looks like what Starwood is doing is working on me .
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: SPG P, HH G, MR G, IHG P, Hyatt D
From the SPG Platinum eConcierge received 1 week ago.

Please note Suite Night Awards issued for 2011 and 2012 had their expiry date extended to April 30, 2014 a one-time gesture of goodwill. However, we are unable to extend the expiry date of the Suite Night Awards you earned in 2013. If unused, these certificates will be forfeit after December 31, 2014.

Sad news indeed. But maybe they will relent and make those of us who have unused SA happy.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Do front desk agents have no visibility into SNA usage? I checked in tonight, having burned 2 of my remaining 5 on a work trip as I'll have not other options, and I was told I was given a complementary upgrade to a suite.

I usually don't bother, but tonight I mentioned that a suite was actually what I reserved. The agent looked down and told me that no, I had only reserved a standard room. Not the end of the world, but basically calling me a liar isn't great customer service.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by CPRich
Do front desk agents have no visibility into SNA usage? I checked in tonight, having burned 2 of my remaining 5 on a work trip as I'll have not other options, and I was told I was given a complementary upgrade to a suite.

I usually don't bother, but tonight I mentioned that a suite was actually what I reserved. The agent looked down and told me that no, I had only reserved a standard room. Not the end of the world, but basically calling me a liar isn't great customer service.
FDCs are among the most clueless when it comes to loyalty programs. Many do not qualify to belong so there's little incentive to learn the ins and out. Many times they state an upgrade was given even when it was the room type reserved in the first place. I even had one convinced that once you earn Plt it's your's for life (not talking LTP). Just like a lot of CSRs will describe the problem you're reporting as how it's supposed to work just so they don't have to spend time trying to fix it. Sad state, but what we've got.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i'm going to end this year with 5 unused snas....but this year has been very good for me in terms of suite upgrades....infact, there is only 1 stay where i did not receive a suite (excluding a few stays i had at aloft properties)....3 suite nights were declined for a stay last week (at another aloft property) where the hotel was completely sold out....

so all in all i did not need suite nights much this year....my suite upgrade percentage without them was fantastic....
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Well I have ended up using 9 of my 10 SNAs this year, with only one that didn't clear a few weeks ago, which I expected as the property in question was sold out of suites for my dates couple of days prior to our stay.

Overall I have been pleased with what I have received. In so e cases they were insurance upgrades to make sure we had a decent room on leisure stays, followed by some burning of the remaining SNAs at nice hotels that we know well, but wanted to enjoy the stay with a good upgrade.

If one goes to waste, then that is fine for me. If it rolls over, even better, but I will have another 10 to make use of next year. It sounds like it has been a frustrating year for a number of members, but I suspect I have been a bit more fortunate with my hotel selections and by not trying for longer stays in peak dates.

For those of you with SNAs still in play for the rest of the year, good luck with your upgrades and safe travels.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by RAPC
Well I have ended up using 9 of my 10 SNAs this year, with only one that didn't clear a few weeks ago, which I expected as the property in question was sold out of suites for my dates couple of days prior to our stay.

For those of you with SNAs still in play for the rest of the year, good luck with your upgrades and safe travels.
^

Still sitting on 7 SNAs. If all else goes well, I'll only have 3 go to waste..
Old Nov 29, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
4 months. The 2013 SNAs were extended from December 31, 2013 to April 30, 2014. This was announced in very early December 2013 (post here) - so it still may be a bit early for such an announcement this year (assuming one is forthcoming).

-FlyerBeek
I have 5 SNAs left, with 3 of 4 requests fulfilled. I'd love to use 3 of them for a stay in early January. Does anyone recall if the expiration for all unused SNAs was extended last year, or was there a limit to the number?
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Does anyone recall if the expiration for all unused SNAs was extended last year, or was there a limit to the number?
Last year, they extended all SNAs. But I wouldn't count on it happening again.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I just hit Platinum and received my ten SNA, expire Dec 2015. Will I get another ten SNA awards come Jan 1st?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by kenme1
I just hit Platinum and received my ten SNA, expire Dec 2015. Will I get another ten SNA awards come Jan 1st?
No, That's your award for hitting 50 nights in 2014.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kenme1
No, SNA is not an annual award. You receive ten SNA when you accumulate 50 nights for a calendar year which will be valid until the end of next calendar year. You will receive ten SNA after you accumulate 50 nights in 2015 which will then valid until end of 2016.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Will end the year with 9 expiring SNA ...

I'd like SPG to re-vamp the program, personally. I like the idea to prioritize upgrades for stays we care about (vs. stays where we just happen to be the first platinum to check in that day), but even on a capacity controlled basis, I'd much prefer the opportunity to confirm the upgrade at booking for the "big vacation" of the year. It would probably make a big difference in deciding which hotel to book and be a big selling point from SPG to the properties that people who use them will often spend a lot on property since it's likely to be their big vacation of the year...
Old Nov 30, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat
Do Suite Night Awards Work if I am not There

I just booked a room for my parents using my points. I called the Platinum line and had them add my father's name to the reservation since I will not be there to check them in. I noticed that my Suite Night Award upgrade requests were immediately cancelled as soon as I did this.

I called the Platinum line back and was told that this is by design. That the hotel will not upgrade the room if there is a name on the reservation other than my own. Is this correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.