Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: New Benefit for SPG Members - Award & Cash + Points Nights Count Toward Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: New Benefit for SPG Members - Award & Cash + Points Nights Count Toward Status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2011, 6:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This is a definite play to get the leisure traveler / small business owner who racks up tons of points on their SPG credit card. Spend enough->lots of stays->status.

I don't need the nights (~90 so far), but I'd be very bummed if I did and my 10+ award nights earlier this year didn't count.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who worry too many Platinums, maybe they can balance it by increasing the STAY requirements (but keep the NIGHT requirements the same). On the other hand, that only encourages more hotel hopping and that is not good for the environment.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
Add me to the list that says that any increase in Plats from this decision will be minuscule and on an individual night property-by-property is even less.

For me, I appreciate that it gives me more flexibility when deciding if I want to use points or pay for a stay when the travel is on my dime, which it generally is nowadays.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I just made a new C&P rez, and noticed the following line in the Terms & Conditions of the reservation:

•Guest will not receive Starpoints or airline miles for their reservation; therefore, a Cash & Points stay does not qualify as an eligible stay toward earning elite level or toward any promotions requiring nights or stays.

Starwood Lurker - any idea when the line above will be amended from the C&P T&C?

Thanks,
Bostonbali
Old Oct 1, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by username
For those who worry too many Platinums, maybe they can balance it by increasing the STAY requirements (but keep the NIGHT requirements the same). On the other hand, that only encourages more hotel hopping and that is not good for the environment.
+1.
25 stays and 50 nights are in no way equal.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
maybe they can balance it by increasing the STAY requirements (but keep the NIGHT requirements the same).
Assuming you qualify by nights, that could be seen as a pretty selfish proposal. Not everyone has tons of free time to take long trips.

that only encourages more hotel hopping and that is not good for the environment.
It all depends how you do it. Walking is good for both the environment and you personal health.

Originally Posted by Medved
For the average person, I'd say 25 stays is more difficult, but if you're willing and able to put in the extra effort, why shouldn't you be rewarded?
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:08 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
As it is the 2nd of October, I'll be curious to see if anyone soon finds that their number of stays/nights has increased on a points stay. I had no doubt when the concierge told me but I still would love to hear from someone that it worked.

It was interesting reading the thread on this matter. I found myself seeing both sides. When I initially posted, I thought I had less stays than I did. I spent the weekend in Cancun and the night before at the airport hotel, so the stays I had already planned for October would've gotten me to Platinum. However, I am now planning on taking a few of them and staying on cash and points. This is the time of year I need to save money, as bonuses in our household don't come until the Spring. If I had been as low as I thought when I originally posted, this new addition would've helped me to reach Platinum this year- the 1st year I wouldn't have had above and beyond 25 stays a year.

I hope it helps people reach Plat this year. I'm not adverse to a Diamond Level but I do think that 25 stays a year is a lot, especially for those of us who combine business and leisure travel in a year. When I start off a trip as business I often stretch it a few extra days on my own dime. It's nice to know Starwood appreciates leisure stays and our out-of-pocket expenses.

I'm just happy that it began on October 1st as I had and have 4 stays planned just for October alone. I hope to change at least 2 of them to C&P or full points stay and enjoy the extra cash! My Xmas Fund this year can definitely use a boost!

PS- to the person who asked if I knew if this applied to the free resort nights, I did not ask and have no idea. I just used my last one this week to extend my trip but it was the 30th to the 1st so it wouldn't qualify even if they did earn stays. Now I wish I had waited. Oh well, mustn't get greedy. The points/cash & points stays alone will be a great help to me this month as I will save $. All 4 stays are personal, not business, so I can't wait to see what I can do to save that extra $.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:15 am

Programs: SKF, ROP, SPG, SL Golden Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriot
+1.
I tend to have nights per stay, re-qualify for Plats with 50 nights by 12th stay.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
+1.
I think the reason they have the two levels is to account for two different travel types. There is the type of person who may only take two trips per year, but stay 25 nights in the same hotel on each trip. And there is the type of person who travels 25 times per year, but hits town after town after town, staying only one night in each town. The latter is more difficult and more costly when you include the travel costs between cities.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by cur
I do: recognition for extreme loyalty. And what is the harm in an even higher tier to recognize ~0.3% (pulling this number out of my arse... I'm trying to illustrate that it would be a super small, high volume customer, think George Clooney's character in Up in the Air) of SPG's customers that would pull 180 nights a year? I think it would be pretty rad for those that spend at least 1/2 of their life the previous year in a SPG hotel.

FTR: I probably would not qualify for a hypothetical super-platinum, I get plat by hopping from property to property for the first 25 stays, and I only log 50-60 nights a year anyways.
I expect *wood already knows who these precious customers are, and treats them accordingly.

Cheers,
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by ktjan
It would be 43,750 starpoints unless you live somewhere outside the USA near the following properties, then you just need as little as 37,500 points:
Sheraton Luxor Resort
Sheraton Sharm Hotel, Resort, Villas & Spa
Le Méridien Dead Sea
Sheraton Lampung Hotel
Sheraton Bandara Hotel
Sheraton Media Hotel & Towers
Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort
Sheraton Mustika Yogyakarta Resort and Spa

Anyone who spends more than one night at Le Meridien Dead Sea deserves instant *lifetime* Plat status! Plus all the free booze they can consume to drown out the memory.

Cheers,
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:02 am

Since most folks tend to look at how these things affect them personally, it doesn't surprise there are different views as to the value of this. Some of us are the target beneficiaries, and some of us aren't. The bottom line is it's intended to benefit *wood, something I respect and even applaud. Free breakfast, shmeakfast.

Cheers,
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: SPG Plat, MAR Lifetime Plat, UAMM, AA3MM
Originally Posted by Flews
Anyone who spends more than one night at Le Meridien Dead Sea deserves instant *lifetime* Plat status! Plus all the free booze they can consume to drown out the memory.

Cheers,
+1 At this point this thread is just going around in circles. Those that think this new benefit will dilute the program vs. those who think it's just fine. The person who is going to use POINTS to do 25 mattress runs is already doing mattress runs on low season weekend rates for CASH anyway... and don't think there are too many of these people anyway... that's a lot of work and what's the point? Most people use this concept to top off if they're short. Those that worry this will dilute the program need to remember, POINTS = DOLLARS. There will be no appreciable difference in Plat ranks... just a nice convenience for all of us.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Assuming you qualify by nights, that could be seen as a pretty selfish proposal. Not everyone has tons of free time to take long trips.

It all depends how you do it. Walking is good for both the environment and you personal health.
Selfish? I think many nice people become "selfish" in the FT world of chasing miles and statuses Like our politics, it is the "haves" vs. the "have-nots"- health care, tax cuts, rights to marry... you name it...

The problem is not when you actually move between the hotels - it is the hotel's overhead to change all the sheets, towels, cleaning after a single night when one goes back and forth between 2 different hotels.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mreed911
Breakfast is expenseable - why does this matter?

Hampton Inns offer free breakfast. Why not stay there instead of an SPG location?
There is a world outside your little village. In several cultures and/or jurisdictions breakfast is not expenseable - we (e.g.) get a per diem lump sum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.