Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: New Benefit for SPG Members - Award & Cash + Points Nights Count Toward Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: New Benefit for SPG Members - Award & Cash + Points Nights Count Toward Status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, MAR Lifetime Plat, UAMM, AA3MM
This is a non issue... but a nice convenience

I qualify for Platinum each year so I don't "need" this component... that said, I still like it. The way I look at it... POINTS are just like MONEY. I like new flexibility of not having to think about whether to use cash or points based on if I'll get credit for a stay or not. It's a nice convenience.

I don't think we have to worry about Platinum being devalued. I believe the increase in Platinum members as a result of this will be marginal.

Thank you SPG
Old Sep 29, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
From my point of view, this is terrific. Much more likely now to use a C&P award at a nice property now (with plenty of F&B and spa spend while there) than to do a mattress run to the cheapest local property if needed to requalify.
Although I travel every week, many trips are for speaking engagements when the conference venue hotel is not my choice.

This will also encourage me to use some of my points occasionally to stay at Starwood properties on business trips. Case in point- the rates at the Westin and W in New York were too pricey for my client on a recent trip so I stayed at the Benjamin. Faced with a similar situation I would now go ahead and use cash and points to stay at the Starwood property because I would get the stay credit (and the Starwood hotel would have benefitted from our $200+ tab for a breakfast meeting).

Last edited by pbjag; Sep 29, 2011 at 1:36 pm
Old Sep 29, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by moulder3

Without the addition of 'lifetime platinum' or adding a new tier above platinum, why would travelers logging 50+ stays a year choose Starwood over Marriott or Hyatt? Marriott offers amazing perks for staying 75+ nights a year as well as the possibility of lifetime elite, while Hyatt offers lifetime elite and offers Diamond members perks that (are generally considered) much more generous that SPG Platinum. I don't want to leave Starwood...I'm just pointing out what else is out there.
I don't want to turn this into a Hyatt vs. SPG, but I think in this forum you will have some strong dissent from that statement.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
By the end of the year I will have around 160 nights, slightly up from my 152 nights last year. So this has no benefit for me.

To all the people saying that 'high value platinum members' get upgraded in advance, I find that very interesting. I have yet to ever have this happen. The only thing I have ever had is calling the hotel and requesting two queen beds instead of my booked one king bed or vice versa. Then I will see the change reflected in my booking prior to checking in, but I have never seen an upgrade prior to checking in.

And to all the people saying that business travelers on the company dime are upset and that isn't fair because others are paying for it with their own money somehow implying that you are better, I say, so what? Airlines and hotels thrive on business travelers so they should be making us feel more important and give us more. (That being said, I see really very little benefit from Starwood's platinum aside from the platinum amenity. I have been upgraded on less than 10% of my stays, so I really don't care about inflating the platinum pool because it is seemingly too large to begin with.)

So in my mind, I am fairly indifferent to this announcement. It is giving more people platinum than there were before, which is obvious. (More people can qualify now, that is how math works.) But this now means more people get more platinum amenities. Great for them, impact on me is 0.

I would be absolutely thrilled if there was a higher level that did start to provide me with something. I would even propose that higher level being called the Business Platinum level so there is 0 confusion that the higher status level is to benefit the people that make Starwood money.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gdemander
And to all the people saying that business travelers on the company dime are upset and that isn't fair because others are paying for it with their own money somehow implying that you are better, I say, so what?
Unless I missed a post, I don't think anyone is claiming either group is "better", just that the groups have different priorities and preferences.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I suspect we'll see that (in general) people who say it's a bad thing are staying on OPM, and people who say it's a good thing are paying out of their own pockets. Count me in as part of the latter group. This benefit greatly increases the value of SPG in my mind.
+1 here.

I'm typically traveling on the weekend, not competing with what are perceived (by themselves) as SPG's "best" customers. Hotels need to fill rooms on the weekends, as well, right? This will work out great !
Old Sep 29, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Unless I missed a post, I don't think anyone is claiming either group is "better", just that the groups have different priorities and preferences.
I said implying, not that anyone was outright claiming that. That was the general feeling that I had when reading the whole thread. Maybe that was just my impression of what people were implying when they stated that they receive platinum status by paying for it out of their own pocket unlike all those business travelers that don't have to pay for it.

Again, I don't really care one way or the other. It is an added benefit for a lot people, so that is great for them and great for SPG if it benefits them financially. It doesn't do anything for me, so I don't care. I will continuing getting my bonus points every week with no upgrade.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
There are so many "OMG the sky is falling there will be too many Plats" sentiments on this thread that I think people are forgetting the other tier this also affects, Gold. Someone mentioned earlier that this benefit will help the push to Gold for us low status folks be easier. I've qualified for Gold on stays for the past 2 years. Last year I did the double stay promotion for a few stays and this year I had the 2 stays from the Amex SPG help me out though I would've reached it without them. I'm glad this new benefit will help me in future years because I've just started looking at the "cash and points" options these days when I look for reservations.

I'm not even close to 15 extra stays to reach Plat even with this new benefit. Fifteen stays is a a lot when you don't travel for work and who wants to bounce around for fifteen stays when you're supposed to be on vacation with the family. Before you all say "blah there's no value to being Gold" oh but that extra starpoint makes a big difference on paid stays. My husband recently had a paid stay in Europe without me. Since he's not Gold, that's over 1700 points that he didn't receive.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
We don't get double stay promos every year, though.
Maybe this never happens again. Then it could be a wash.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Great News Starwood! Thanks William for all your hard work on behalf of Starwood as well!!!

sdcarver
Old Sep 29, 2011, 5:44 pm

Of course a new level will come..

Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:14 pm
Suspended

But no free breakfast .....
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mario33
But no free breakfast .....
LOL!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: United GS (11 years in a row); Lifetime Marriott Titanium Elite; National Exec Elite
Time for a 75 night level

Originally Posted by toddml
While I realise it brings it inline with other programs and the fact there does not seem to be a nights count double promotion I do feel it is another devaluation of Plat and simply means there will be more Plats around. Maybe it is time for a new level aimed at 75 or 100 nights a year.

I am sure there will be plenty who disagree with this but the easier it is get get the status the less the status is worth!
Ditto on this - need to get a higher tier - but not sure what other benefits I would expect for it. Frankly the service is generally great - and after you get to so many nights - heck, just clean is fine with me. Maybe the new tier gives guaranteed updates on award nights - that would be sweet.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Lurkers,
from the FAQ:
Q: What types of SPG Awards now count toward elite status?
A: Regular SPG Free Night Awards, Cash & Points Awards and SPG Award stays such as those earned from promotions (e.g., the SPG Getaway Free campaign Free Resort Night Awards) will count toward elite status. Non-SPG or any other type of SPG Award or Voucher stays, such as Air Canada's Aeroplan awards, etc., will not count toward elite status.
would there be any reason a stay with one paid night plus one non-spg award night wouldn't count as a stay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.