Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: New Benefit for SPG Members - Award & Cash + Points Nights Count Toward Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: New Benefit for SPG Members - Award & Cash + Points Nights Count Toward Status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
+1

Or a new level at 35 or 40 stays.
I still don't believe that this will significantly increase the number of stays that current non-Platinums stay enough to get them Platinum status. That level traveler has, at best, probably 3 award stays a year, IF THAT. If that puts them over Platinum, that means they already had at least 22 other stays, and since the Gold threshold is 10, I can't believe that there are more Golds at 22-24 stays than Golds at 11-22 stays.

The sky is not falling, and there should be no dilution. Even if there WERE slight dilution, factor that across ALL the Starwood properties for EACH night of the year, and you're STILL talking about a LOT of rooms at a LOT of hotels that there's not a whole lot of competition for NOW.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:49 am

I hope that SPG doesn't increase levels - the requirements are in line with other top end programs.

I don't think frequent guests need to worry too much either about loss of upgrades, etc. My understanding is that the hotel gets a list of Platinum upgrades- so the frequent Plat traveller would be higher priority upgrade vs. the infrequent/credit card/award night type guest.

Maybe coincidence but I even noticed better treatment from when I qualified Plat on outright stays vs double stays so I'm sure they are keeping track of how someone qualifies (meeting the required stays/nights, vs. double stays/nights, vs. award stays now).
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Actually, at least for my organization this would help us tremendously. Currently we earn around 500,000 points with business spend but have to use the free nights wisely to ensure that key people pay for enough nights to get Platinum. Now I don't have to plan out every stay and can comfortably use points at a more conveniently located hotel rather than try to come up with another option that may be less so. It won't get any more people to be Platinum but I can save the free nights for peak times in NYC/DC/Europe and pay for the rest of the year and know that the required number of stays/nights will be reached.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by mreed911
Why? What's the need?

why? natural phenomenon

what's the need? more Profits

no doubt that Starwood preferred guest is a very successful reward program. that means lots of people are joining the program. increasing demand will lead to raising the bar to achieve top status.

examples:

Senator used to be the top status for Lufthansa reward program. it is not anymore. HON is the highest status with LH. it requires accumulating 600,000 status miles over a maximum of 2 years period to get it. crazy, right? but its working for them

same thing with United Air lines 1K VS GS
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by ktjan
So technically, someone can spend as little as 37,500 points to retain his/her platinum status a year...
True enough, but only if they frequent a fairly SMALL number of pretty carpy properties (in the USA at least), so far as I can see:

Four Points by Sheraton Lexington
Romulus Four Points by Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport
Saginaw Four Points by Sheraton
Kansas City Four Points by Sheraton Kansas City Airport
Charlotte Four Points by Sheraton Charlotte
Chambersburg Four Points by Sheraton Chambersburg
Pittsburgh Four Points by Sheraton Pittsburgh Airport
ManassasFour Points by Sheraton Manassas Battlefield

I'm not terribly worried by the prospect that a frequent guest at the Romulus 4Pts, for example, is going to be taking my suite upgrade at the St Regis SIN.

And, JFTR, this would be a net cost of 43,750 Starpoints, by my math, since Plat Amenities at 4Pts are only 250 *points.

Dave

Last edited by bseller; Sep 29, 2011 at 11:35 am
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I suspect we'll see that (in general) people who say it's a bad thing are staying on OPM, and people who say it's a good thing are paying out of their own pockets. Count me in as part of the latter group. This benefit greatly increases the value of SPG in my mind.
+1, all the way around!

Dave
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by KSA_USA
why? natural phenomenon

what's the need? more Profits
I think you misunderstood me.

What benefit would increasing the level have? At that point, you'd simply have fewer Platinums, and fewer guests enjoying the Platinum treatment. You have to remember that FT is a bubble, and most people don't PLAN on Platinum status, they simply achieve it based on existing travel patterns. The loyalty program isn't out to CREATE platinums, it's out to capture the loyalty of the business traveler that would otherwise hit it, but might defer some of those stays to a competitor. It's to attract already existing business from other chains, NOT to build incremental revenue on top of that business.

We're the minority because we actually CARE about getting status and alter our travel plans by adding trips to do so.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by moulder3
I'm in the exact same boat. I am at around 65 stays this year and have around 225k points. I point this out because this policy change does nothing to help the most loyal (and probably highest-value) customers. It will undoubtedly add additional platinum members, leaving us current platinum members scrambling (even more than we have been) for the limited suite upgrades at hotels.
hold that thought...

Starwood should quickly announce a 'lifetime platinum' status soon, to appease the travelers like me who not only won't benefit from this program change, but will now see a reduction of benefits. While I recognize that 'lifetime platinum' could also be seen as a giveaway,
aaand here we have the "problem" with any promo. you complain about giveaways to other people, and adding additional members. but you don't mind want giveaways and adding additional members when it benefits you. a bit of a look at human nature i suppose, but at least try not to do it in the same post, in sentences right next to each other!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
<YAWN>

Kind of ho-hum from my perspective. I don't see this changing my behavior or effecting my ability to earn status in any way. Like others have mentioned, I don't really think this represents much of a dilution issue. Frankly, seems like SPG is making a big deal out of relatively nothing.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others
Thanks for sharing the good news, William.

I do wonder what kind of bonus, benefit or free offer you could ever post here that wouldn't engender a flood of posts finding some downside, real or speculative?

Remember that satisfied people may be less prone to post but we are out here too.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
It would be 43,750 starpoints unless you live somewhere outside the USA near the following properties, then you just need as little as 37,500 points:
Sheraton Luxor Resort
Sheraton Sharm Hotel, Resort, Villas & Spa
Le Méridien Dead Sea
Sheraton Lampung Hotel
Sheraton Bandara Hotel
Sheraton Media Hotel & Towers
Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort
Sheraton Mustika Yogyakarta Resort and Spa

Originally Posted by bseller
True enough, but only if they frequent a fairly SMALL number of pretty carpy properties (in the USA at least), so far as I can see:

Four Points by Sheraton Lexington
Romulus Four Points by Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport
Saginaw Four Points by Sheraton
Kansas City Four Points by Sheraton Kansas City Airport
Charlotte Four Points by Sheraton Charlotte
Chambersburg Four Points by Sheraton Chambersburg
Pittsburgh Four Points by Sheraton Pittsburgh Airport
ManassasFour Points by Sheraton Manassas Battlefield

I'm not terribly worried by the prospect that a frequent guest at the Romulus 4Pts, for example, is going to be taking my suite upgrade at the St Regis SIN.

And, JFTR, this would be a net cost of 43,750 Starpoints, by my math, since Plat Amenities at 4Pts are only 250 *points.

Dave
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA, WN, SPG, HGP, FPC
Originally Posted by ktjan
It would be 43,750 starpoints unless you live somewhere outside the USA near the following properties, then you just need as little as 37,500 points:
If someone wanted to buy status, he could do it during a double stay promotion for $1300, which is about the same value as those points. And it would take only half as many stays in a cheap property. I don't see what the big deal is. People need to calm down.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by edscholl
aaand here we have the "problem" with any promo. you complain about giveaways to other people, and adding additional members. but you don't mind want giveaways and adding additional members when it benefits you. a bit of a look at human nature i suppose, but at least try not to do it in the same post, in sentences right next to each other!
Haha, fair enough...but I still stand by my post. I think it's inevitable that by adding this benefit, Starwood will increase their elite ranks with lower-value customers. After all, now you can easily pay for ~20 stays while using points on the other 5. So (while I'm not saying it applies to everyone) it means that someone with 18-20 stays towards the end of the year can easily make/maintain plat. by only burning ~10-15k in points. Meanwhile, this dilutes the benefits for those of us who would already for plat, and as the numbers start to swell we all see reduced upgrades. As it is, I feel like I'm only getting upgraded 30% of the time! And while it is my choice to give Starwood ~70 stays a year of my business, as of Oct. 1st there is less incentive for me to do so. At the end of the day, I think Starwood should realize that this move encourages people who have 50+ stays a year to reconsider Hyatt or Marriott due to their lifetime status option, and I would think (although I could be mistaken) that these travelers are the most valuable to the program.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:51 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by jschen
If someone wanted to buy status, he could do it during a double stay promotion for $1300, which is about the same value as those points. And it would take only half as many stays in a cheap property. I don't see what the big deal is. People need to calm down.
We don't get double stay promos every year, though.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 1:19 pm

Meanwhile, this dilutes the benefits for those of us who would already for plat
Really? By how much? What if SPG is doing this to maintain the current number of Plats because fewer qualified this year due to reduced travel? It could be a net-zero thing.... unless, of course, you have data to back up your assertion.

and as the numbers start to swell we all see reduced upgrades.
Again, really? Can you prove this?

Let's assume it swells the ranks by 10%. Spread those 10% across the roughly 250 business travel days in a year, across the number of Starwood properties in SPG's portfolio and the change in impact is.... close enough to zero to BE zero, right?

Of course "it only takes one time" for it to happen, but by and large this is a fictional concern.

Rampant speculation is worthless without data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.