Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: New Benefit for SPG Members - Award & Cash + Points Nights Count Toward Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: New Benefit for SPG Members - Award & Cash + Points Nights Count Toward Status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BenSenise
would there be any reason a stay with one paid night plus one non-spg award night wouldn't count as a stay?
It has always counted, and I don't see SPG taking anything like that away.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by cnerup
Ditto on this - need to get a higher tier - but not sure what other benefits I would expect for it. Frankly the service is generally great - and after you get to so many nights - heck, just clean is fine with me. Maybe the new tier gives guaranteed updates on award nights - that would be sweet.
Free Breakfast???
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Free Breakfast???
Breakfast is expenseable - why does this matter?

Hampton Inns offer free breakfast. Why not stay there instead of an SPG location?

Last edited by mreed911; Sep 29, 2011 at 10:12 pm
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by BenSenise
would there be any reason a stay with one paid night plus one non-spg award night wouldn't count as a stay?
Your eligible paid night is still an eligible paid night.

-David
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mreed911
Breakfast is expendable - why does this matter?
Expendable? Does that mean you can take it or leave it?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:48 pm

I think you misunderstood me.

What benefit would increasing the level have? At that point, you'd simply have fewer Platinums, and fewer guests enjoying the Platinum treatment. You have to remember that FT is a bubble, and most people don't PLAN on Platinum status, they simply achieve it based on existing travel patterns. The loyalty program isn't out to CREATE platinums, it's out to capture the loyalty of the business traveler that would otherwise hit it, but might defer some of those stays to a competitor. It's to attract already existing business from other chains, NOT to build incremental revenue on top of that business.

We're the minority because we actually CARE about getting status and alter our travel plans by adding trips to do so.
I agree that FT community represent very small sample of the travel/hospitality world. but that dose not mean that FT community is small because we care about getting status. none FT traveler do care about getting status as well. i believe we are minority because we look for ways to get the most out of a reward programs. just look at what topics are discussed in popular threads. you will find the vast majority talking about how to maximize points/miles value, getting miles from coins/food. finding cheap flights that yield high miles per dollar ratio etc.. not every one is interested in such topics and not every one have the time or energy to follow such topics, thats why i believe we are minority.

if you pick a date randomly, it is probably normal to see 80+ platinum guest staying at one of New York Hotels. but it is probably not normal to see 22+ platinum guest staying at the W Doha at a given date. this plus many other observations/ discussions tells me that there are many platinum members in the SPG system hence a higher level is probably due.

I have been platinum since the program started. it easy for me to achieve platinum. would i get upset if Starwood introduce a higher level that i could not achieve? definitely not
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Expendable? Does that mean you can take it or leave it?
DYAC.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Great move, IMHO!

I've long said that whether it's paid stays or award stays, we're all showing LOYALTY to Starwood every time we stay in a Starwood property. With award (and Cash & Points) stays counting now, I'm much more likely to stay in Starwood hotels because award and Cash & Points stays have just become more attractive.

Also, I'm sure it's much more cost effective for Starwood to have members redeeming Starpoints for hotel nights rather than miles, and I think this will encourage many people to use Starpoints in that manner.

I'm a bit disappointed that award nights won't count double when a double nights/stays promotion is running, but that would probably make it WAY too easy to get Platinum.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It's funny. In years when I have 75 nights, I want a 75 night level. In years when I barely make 50, I want it to stay at 50.

But in all seriousness, I don't think a new level is needed. If you are the type who stays an awful lot at one hotel, that hotel should be treating you very well. Better than an average Plat member in fact. That has been my experience anyways.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 3:25 am

Programs: SPG Plat, MAR Lifetime Plat, UAMM, AA3MM
You won't see any noticeable difference in number of Plats

Originally Posted by stimpy
It's funny. In years when I have 75 nights, I want a 75 night level. In years when I barely make 50, I want it to stay at 50.

But in all seriousness, I don't think a new level is needed. If you are the type who stays an awful lot at one hotel, that hotel should be treating you very well. Better than an average Plat member in fact. That has been my experience anyways.
Exactly. You can see why "Mega-SPG-Stayers" want to raise the bar. They resent double stay promos and the like... understandable. They feel "entitled" to something more in this frequent stay marketing game. However, this represents a very small percentage of the traveling public. In a service business such as this I believe this group should receive special treatment...but is best handled "under the radar" so to speak... something like UA's Global Services.

But the idea of a higher level is a separate argument. This new promo will not impact the number of new Platinums significantly... just fewer mattress runs for those that need it. I think the current levels are just fine.

And remember, POINTS = CASH
Old Sep 30, 2011, 3:55 am

Programs: Hard to keep one
I think this is a great development and just made all those free night promotions all the more valuable.

For those insisting the properties are losing revenue, I recall that the properties get reimbursed for points redeemed....
Old Sep 30, 2011, 4:30 am

folks it's not about WHETHER there will be a dilution of platinum benefits.
it's a question of BY HOW MUCH.
There is no doubt that this latest benefit will increase the number of plats. When you open more doors to become platinum, people will use that door.

Now if there is going to be 100 more platinums world-wide as a result of this, then I'm fine.
But if there's going to be more like tens of thousands, then there is a reason for us current plats to be unhappy.

Now as for those who say that this will keep the number of plats roughly the same, since the economic downturn has reduced the overall number of plats... what happens when the economy turns around and there're more plats again? Will Starwood backtrack and reverse this latest amendment??

Time for a higher elite tier.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by jaejaez
Time for a higher elite tier.

As reported last evening and apparently censored.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by WineAGcom
Exactly. You can see why "Mega-SPG-Stayers" want to raise the bar. They resent double stay promos and the like... understandable. They feel "entitled" to something more in this frequent stay marketing game. However, this represents a very small percentage of the traveling public.
also, these people will change their minds once they stop traveling as much as they do now....

Originally Posted by jaejaez
Now as for those who say that this will keep the number of plats roughly the same, since the economic downturn has reduced the overall number of plats... what happens when the economy turns around and there're more plats again? Will Starwood backtrack and reverse this latest amendment??
what happens once you stop traveling as much as you do now????will you back track & reverse your opinion????
Old Sep 30, 2011, 5:20 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Breakfast is expenseable - why does this matter?

WOW-I am denied reimbursement for all expenses when not traveling on company business-which is when I want the free Bfast the most!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.