Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG no longer doing instant internal transfers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG no longer doing instant internal transfers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Canada (25k), Hyatt (Globalist), Marriott (Platinum)
Wife called in to transfer a bunch of points to my account today.

Same address but different last names.

She was told it would take 3-5 days.

So we shall see.

Obviously, I would much prefer instant transfers. In fact, the points are needed for an Aeroplan booking and there is a significant chance that the seat I am looking to book will be gone in 3-5 days.

However, there is nothing like excessive fraud to drain from a company's ability to provide tangible benefits to the honest.

So, it is what it is, and I'm basically happy with the fact that SPG allows us to transfer points without paying a penalty.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by lebowski76
[email protected] is the email you want - send the names, spg #s, and transfer amount and the process can speed up greatly. My email at 10pm last night was resolved by 7am.
Can one of the Starwood Lurkers confirm this?

I'd love to have the my current transfer expedited, as I fear I'm going to miss the seat I'm trying to book, but I'm a bit wary of emailing all that personal info.

Thanks,
MARS1982
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:44 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by mars1982
Can one of the Starwood Lurkers confirm this?

I'd love to have the my current transfer expedited, as I fear I'm going to miss the seat I'm trying to book, but I'm a bit wary of emailing all that personal info.

Thanks,
MARS1982
Sorry, but no. That doesn't mean you can't give it a try, however, by sending an inquiry without any personal info.

Expedited transfers are possible with three airlines and Aeroplan is not one of them. It can take up to 30 days to affect a transfer to Aeroplan. Longer if the airline rejects it for some reason.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Sorry, but no. That doesn't mean you can't give it a try, however, by sending an inquiry without any personal info.
Thanks. I'll try that.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:31 am

Transferring Starwood Points to another Starwood account

Last week I tried to transfer some points to a friend that was going on vacation and now it seems that changing address to match does not work anymore and that we must provide proof if we do change addresses.

That totally blows
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, maxipads!

Sorry to say, but the abuses of the system are what triggered enforcement.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by maxipads
Last week I tried to transfer some points to a friend that was going on vacation and now it seems that changing address to match does not work anymore and that we must provide proof if we do change addresses.

That totally blows
why not just book with your points if it's going to be a hotel redemption (unless it is some other form of "transfer" transaction ) ?

welcome to FT
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Transfering Points

I successfuly transferred points to another member of my household a few weeks ago. It took about five days for the points to go through, but it was pretty easy. They did stipulate that both accounts had to be at the same address.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, rachel645!

Originally Posted by rachel645
I successfuly transferred points to another member of my household a few weeks ago. It took about five days for the points to go through, but it was pretty easy. They did stipulate that both accounts had to be at the same address.
Yes, that's the way it should work. What SPG is cracking down on is people changing their address, transferring, and changing their address back to get around the rules.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:58 am

This paragraph was just added to SPG T&C:

11.2 You may transfer Starpoints from one Starwood Preferred Guest Account to another Account under specific conditions. Both accounts must have been active for at least 30 days. Except for SVO members, both members must have the same residential mailing address and cannot be a P.O. Box, APO or SPO address. SVO Owner members may transfer Starpoints to another SVO Owner member account, regardless of the address on each Account. Starwood reserves the right to refuse any transfers.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:46 pm

Well, I think things are not that easy anymore :-(
Old Feb 9, 2011, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by maxipads

That totally blows
Just to clarify, what you were trying to do is fraud, and SPG is no longer letting you commit fraud. It was never endorsed by SPG and is most definitely not a right granted to you.

Last edited by rearview; Feb 9, 2011 at 1:35 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 12, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA CK, DL PLT, HH DIA, MARRIOTT PLT, FAIRMONT LT PLT, HYATT DIA, SIXT PLT, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by rearview
Just to clarify, what you were trying to do is fraud, and SPG is no longer letting you commit fraud. It was never endorsed by SPG and is most definitely not a right granted to you.
I think the term "fraud" is way too harsh. Giving your friend some points was never a problem in the past and assuming he is not trying to sell the points should not be a problem.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by benolaa
I think the term "fraud" is way too harsh. Giving your friend some points was never a problem in the past
Only because people found a loophole in the system. Changing your address to a fake one to work around the stated rules is fraud.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:10 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Only because people found a loophole in the system.
Changing your address to a fake one to work around the stated rules is fraud.
True Dat. Trying hard to go straight. Must not yield to temptation...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.