Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG no longer doing instant internal transfers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG no longer doing instant internal transfers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by UpgradedFirst
Anyone done transfer within last few days without any problem?
my father put in a request to transfer all his points to my account & it took 6 days....but in the end it was done very easily....no need for any follow up....
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:36 pm

New rules in transfering points to others

What are the new rules to tranfer points between members in the same household? I tried and they wanted proof of residency.

Wow! What happened?, it use to be a quick call and it was transfered quickly.

Anyone can you please advise.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:48 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by dinise
Wow! What happened?
Fraud?

Same residence rules apply as per the FAQ.

See also Section 2.5 here.

2.5. Starpoints may be transferred between two Program accounts only when each member resides at the same residential address with the exception of Starwood Vacation Ownership Preferred Guest accounts. Starwood Vacation Ownership Owners (“Owners”) may transfer Starpoints between two designated Starwood Vacation Ownership Preferred Guest accounts, regardless of whether the accounts have the same residential address. Members may not transfer Starpoints to/from an account that has an a P.O. Box, APO or SPO as the address. Members may be required to provide proof of residency at the address on their account prior to being permitted to transfer Starpoints between two accounts.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:51 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
i'm sure the Grand Slam promo from US didn't help matters any
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by dinise
I tried and they wanted proof of residency ...
I had the same experience. Rules of the game have changed.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG
I didn't see this thread until this evening. I initiated a points transfer yesterday from my husband's account to mine and didn't know about this new rule. The last time I did an internal transfer, it was instantaneous, so I was surprised when the phone agent told me that it would take 24 hours to complete.

So, as the 24-hour period passed today, I logged in and no points transferred. Continued checking throughout the day, and finally called Customer Service to check the status. The very nice CS agent today checked with a supervisor and came back on to tell me that the system had recently changed for transfers and that it would be 5-6 days (which I ended up get solid reconfirmation of on here).

In any case, it seems that even within SPG, there's still confusion about this if agents taking calls aren't even aware of the changes and are giving out incorrect information (as the woman did yesterday by quoting a 24-hour turnaround for me).

For data point tracking, I'll post back here on what the final elapsed time will have been for this transfer to go through.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mishajames
I didn't see this thread until this evening. I initiated a points transfer yesterday from my husband's account to mine and didn't know about this new rule. The last time I did an internal transfer, it was instantaneous, so I was surprised when the phone agent told me that it would take 24 hours to complete.

So, as the 24-hour period passed today, I logged in and no points transferred. Continued checking throughout the day, and finally called Customer Service to check the status. The very nice CS agent today checked with a supervisor and came back on to tell me that the system had recently changed for transfers and that it would be 5-6 days (which I ended up get solid reconfirmation of on here).

In any case, it seems that even within SPG, there's still confusion about this if agents taking calls aren't even aware of the changes and are giving out incorrect information (as the woman did yesterday by quoting a 24-hour turnaround for me).

For data point tracking, I'll post back here on what the final elapsed time will have been for this transfer to go through.
5 years and you finally posted!
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
That was Starwood Lurker II.

Still, that is SPG's policy because most airlines don't allow such transfers to go through, so he and I have to be a little more conservative in the answers we give here. Any YMMV's you are most welcomed to advise, however, since there is little to no accountability expected.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Well, if you are really going to be conservative in your reponses, Starwood Lurker II might want to phrase his responses differently.

"besides a slightly longer period of time needed for the transfer to be approved, there are no other changes being implemented."

What used to take 1 minute to do now takes up to (5 days = 7,200 minutes). 7,200% increase...slightly longer?

For the record, I attempted to move some points from my wife's account to mine a couple of days ago and was told by the first agent an email would be sent out and it would take between 24-48 hours for the transfer. As of today, no email so I called back and was informed it would take up to 5 days. My wife has a different last name than me, but our accounts would have had the same address for at least the past 5 years.

Why does it take so long for the email to be sent? Couldn't the agent send the email while I was on the phone? I guess I am OK with the 5 day wait period, but had I known about it earlier I would have planned accordingly.
I am trying to do a transfer to airline and everyday I wait it seems the availability is decreasing.

I just hope that there isn't a further slight increase in the time it takes to do a transfer! 5 days * 7,200= 98 years. Yikes!
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:57 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Maxfinder
...Why does it take so long for the email to be sent? Couldn't the agent send the email while I was on the phone? I guess I am OK with the 5 day wait period, but had I known about it earlier I would have planned accordingly.
I am trying to do a transfer to airline and everyday I wait it seems the availability is decreasing...
My apologies for any inconvenience regarding this particular internal transfer attempt, but the process for internal transfers has changed and now that you know this, hopefully you can plan accordingly going forward.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
They also told us we would get an email to confirm the transfer request, but we never got anything (transfer requested two days ago, on Monday).
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
They also told us we would get an email to confirm the transfer request, but we never got anything (transfer requested two days ago, on Monday).
my father was told the same thing last month....he finally got the email 5 days later & the transfer went through on the 6th day....
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:30 am

Programs: HHonors, Delta
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Your last paragraph is exactly the reason why I think it should remain "household" rather than "family". Definition of a "household" is less contentious than definition of "family", as in some places people living in a single household may not be part of the notion of a "traditional 'family'" in some jurisdictions even as they may be protected from discrimination in others, both while being part of a single household.

As to the notion of relying upon names to determine family relationships, that's a bad idea in a world where people come from various kinds of cultural and sub-cultural backgrounds and make individual choices about how they want themselves and/or their progeny to be known.
Agreed. My spouse and I don't have the same last name although we DO reside at the same address. We've also never had any problems with SPG internal transfers. I think if the new SPG policy cuts down on "misuse" of SPG points, then it's probably a good thing. As someone said, easier for legitimate members to redeem.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 11:17 am

Agreed. My spouse and I don't have the same last name although we DO reside at the same address. We've also never had any problems with SPG internal transfers. I think if the new SPG policy cuts down on "misuse" of SPG points, then it's probably a good thing. As someone said, easier for legitimate members to redeem.
This is a great point. I get a lot of value out of combining my points and my wife's together, since I can use them for higher impact rewards (5 nights free, nights and flights) more regularly. If this is what needed to happen to cut down on abuse by people selling points, I'm all for it, since the other option would have been to remove transfers completely. That would have been a big negative for me, while this is a minor inconvenience.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Data point

Transfer requested Monday.
"We received your request" email received Wednesday.
Transfer completed Friday.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG
Transfer requested by phone Monday December 6 at Noon.
Transfer completed Friday December 10 during the morning.
Total of <48 hours turnaround

No email verifying the transfer request has been received.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.