Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG no longer doing instant internal transfers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG no longer doing instant internal transfers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:16 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by mishajames
...No email verifying the transfer request has been received.
You might want to be sure that there is an email address on your SPG account and that you are opted in to receive email communications from Starwood. Just a suggestion...

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:28 pm

Data point

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transfer requested Monday.
"We received your request" email received Thursday.
Transfer completed Friday.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:14 pm

I just went through this for the first time and it's been a freaking nightmare. Having first called platinum to merge my wife's account (they closed the "active" one and we didn't have the new on), I asked to do the transfer, only to find out the addresses didn't match. My bad - my account was under my business address. "No worries" CSR says, "we'll fix it today and contact us again in 48 hours and we can transfer." Done and done.

Cut to a week later, the email my wife gets "We are unable to fulfill your request to transfer Starpoints at this time. A change of residential address has recently occurred on one or both accounts." ...? Of course there was a change, I went from business to home (which the initial CSR recognized). Now I have to send in address validation - license, utility bill, voter registration, etc. for both of us to verify.

All of this I am fine with as I understand cheaters out there ruining a SPG feature, but please help me understand:
1. Why didn't the first CSR inform me that I should provide this documentation and email/fax to process the transfer, considering they were the one to recognize the different addresses?
2. Why did it take the full five days to deny this?
3. Shoudn't the CSR taking the request be able to identify something simple like a recent COA, and ask for this additional information?

Now I'm going to wait yet another week to get the transfer, which is putting our trip in jeopardy.

So, for those honest people who are trying to make transfers - be prepared. For all the SOB's who have been cheating the system, I say GOOD DAY!
Old Dec 11, 2010, 9:09 am

[email protected] is the email you want - send the names, spg #s, and transfer amount and the process can speed up greatly. My email at 10pm last night was resolved by 7am.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:09 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
My transfers from parent to daughter went off without a hitch, but with a 1 week delay.
Although they left 2 points behind in 1 account, 4824 taken out instead of 4826!

I think if SPG would allow transfer from anyone to anyone with a 10% fee, or they would allow transfer to any account like Flexperks, or Amex, the value of SPG and their loyalty program will increase. I am appreciating Hilton more and more now and their transfer features.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:21 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by mishajames
I didn't see this thread until this evening. ...... For data point tracking, I'll post back here on what the final elapsed time will have been for this transfer to go through.
Originally Posted by nabeelj
5 years and you finally posted!
Also, welcome to FT (though you have been here all along)! It is remarkable restraint.
I lurked for a while, but the temptation to sound off and help with my limited knowledge was too much.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by saad
my father transferred all the points from his account to mine last week....its been over 5 days now & still no points in my account....
My daughter (same address) xfered her pts. to me on Wed. and still not showing. Maybe nothing happens on the weekend. I'm in no hurry so won't panic until this coming Wed.

Edit: She never received an email confirmation. And, yes, I know the whole process could take 5 days.

Data point: the xfer happened this morning. It took 4.5 days.

Last edited by philemer; Dec 13, 2010 at 1:55 pm
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
For those familiar with the process, would a credit card, cell phone, or cable bill suffice?

My future BIL has already joined our family residence but we're not interested in changing names on the utility bill or wait in line for a DMV update on his driver's license.

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
my latest transfer went through in under 3 days....
Old Dec 22, 2010, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
For those familiar with the process, would a credit card, cell phone, or cable bill suffice?

My future BIL has already joined our family residence but we're not interested in changing names on the utility bill or wait in line for a DMV update on his driver's license.

Thanks in advance.
All he needs to do is change his address at SPG.COM to match yours. It takes 3 -5 days to transfer points but SPG doesn't bothers trying to verify the "facts", IMHO.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by philemer
All he needs to do is change his address at SPG.COM to match yours. It takes 3 -5 days to transfer points but SPG doesn't bothers trying to verify the "facts", IMHO.
Actually now days, if there is a recent address change on either account, SPG asks for a proof of address for that account. Of course YMMV ..
Old Dec 24, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by philemer
Originally Posted by gv111
Actually now days, if there is a recent address change on either account, SPG asks for a proof of address for that account. Of course YMMV ..
I can attest that they do verify "facts" as I have gotten an email asking to send proof of address, hence the reason for my question.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I can attest that they do verify "facts" as I have gotten an email asking to send proof of address, hence the reason for my question.
Very good to know. I think my DD used my address as her "permanent" address from the get-go. They never questioned her even though she has a different last name.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:18 pm

So if I understand correctly. There is now no way for me to use my SPG points to deposit miles into my dad's account at a partner airline. Since my Dad and I have different addresses.

I wanted to give him some southwest miles but I suppose there is no way to accomplish this.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:32 pm

Transferred SPG points from my wife to me. Called last Friday and was told will take 7 days to process. Her points were in my account on Monday, so technically took only 1 business day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.