Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG no longer doing instant internal transfers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG no longer doing instant internal transfers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by ehud
This paragraph was just added to SPG T&C:

11.2 You may transfer Starpoints from one Starwood Preferred Guest Account to another Account under specific conditions. Both accounts must have been active for at least 30 days. Except for SVO members, both members must have the same residential mailing address and cannot be a P.O. Box, APO or SPO address. SVO Owner members may transfer Starpoints to another SVO Owner member account, regardless of the address on each Account. Starwood reserves the right to refuse any transfers.
There are towns where a PO Box is the ONLY legal mailing address, per the USPS. I know; I live in one of them. The entire county of Summit in Colorado, home of Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Arapahoe Basin, and many other places (towns in upstate NY north of Syracuse where I have relatives) are PO Box-only locations. Street addresses result in destroyed or returned mail, and attempts to use software that uses the USPS database for address verification on the street address results in No-match conditions.

I appreciate SPG's attempts to combat fraud and abuse. But discriminating in interstate commerce on benefits based on what the USPS does or does not do for mail delivery should be illegal. And I use "illegal" deliberately - if the US Government-chartered United States Postal Service (yes, a "private" corp but govt-chartered and controlled) says PO Box xxxx Dillon Colorado 80435 is my ONLY LEGAL MAIL ADDRESS, it should be against the law for SPG to deny me any benefit that they would grant someone in a different zip code.

(Same to Sears on rebates, opening mileage credit cards with various banks that don't have separate mailing/legal address fields, etc.)

Many companies don't realize that probably a million or more US residents MUST use a PO Box as their only legal mailing address. Lurkers, please address.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 4:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Has anyone confirmed if you can book a room for someone else using your own points?

If I want to book a room for my friend using my points, is it allowed, or do I also need to be in the reservation?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 4:22 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by smilee
Has anyone confirmed if you can book a room for someone else using your own points?

If I want to book a room for my friend using my points, is it allowed, or do I also need to be in the reservation?
The reservation needs to be held in your name and your friend needs to be added as a guest in the room.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Mar 8, 2011, 4:30 pm

Programs: Starwood, Delta, American Airlines, USA, United
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
The reservation needs to be held in your name and your friend needs to be added as a guest in the room.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
How do we add our friend as a guest to the reservation when we are doing an SPG award ticked online? I don't recall seeing a prompt for who will be staying in room.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by worldtraveller2
How do we add our friend as a guest to the reservation when we are doing an SPG award ticked online? I don't recall seeing a prompt for who will be staying in room.
You don't. You call in or click to chat to get it added to an existing reservation.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Mar 8, 2011, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
You don't. You call in or click to chat to get it added to an existing reservation.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
SOMEWHAT along these lines, I notice the free nights from Starwood Points won't work when you try to search under 1 room, 4 adults. It's always a maximum of 2 adults even for rooms with a capacity of 4. Anyway around this? Thank you!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes
SOMEWHAT along these lines, I notice the free nights from Starwood Points won't work when you try to search under 1 room, 4 adults. It's always a maximum of 2 adults even for rooms with a capacity of 4. Anyway around this? Thank you!
I think you would not be able to find a lot of standard rooms with allowance of more than 2 persons in capacity. If you would like to use your Starpoints to redeem a larger room or one that is higher in category than a standard room, you would have to call up SPG to do so.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Mar 9, 2011, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by MarkXS
There are towns where a PO Box is the ONLY legal mailing address, per the USPS. I know; I live in one of them. The entire county of Summit in Colorado, home of Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Arapahoe Basin, and many other places (towns in upstate NY north of Syracuse where I have relatives) are PO Box-only locations. Street addresses result in destroyed or returned mail, and attempts to use software that uses the USPS database for address verification on the street address results in No-match conditions.

I appreciate SPG's attempts to combat fraud and abuse. But discriminating in interstate commerce on benefits based on what the USPS does or does not do for mail delivery should be illegal. And I use "illegal" deliberately - if the US Government-chartered United States Postal Service (yes, a "private" corp but govt-chartered and controlled) says PO Box xxxx Dillon Colorado 80435 is my ONLY LEGAL MAIL ADDRESS, it should be against the law for SPG to deny me any benefit that they would grant someone in a different zip code.

(Same to Sears on rebates, opening mileage credit cards with various banks that don't have separate mailing/legal address fields, etc.)

Many companies don't realize that probably a million or more US residents MUST use a PO Box as their only legal mailing address. Lurkers, please address.
I am in this exact situation. It is not a problem me us and shouldn't be a problem for others. Everyone has a residential address, even if their mail - like mine - is delivered to a PO box at the post office. So just include both on your SPG account. My understanding is the problem for SPG is when is a PO box ONLY. As for your mail delivery, your mail shouldn't get rejected if it includes the residential address - it should only get rejected when it doesn't include the PO box # as well. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
I think you would not be able to find a lot of standard rooms with allowance of more than 2 persons in capacity. If you would like to use your Starpoints to redeem a larger room or one that is higher in category than a standard room, you would have to call up SPG to do so.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Okay, thank you very much for the help!
Old May 10, 2011, 8:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
For those familiar with the process, would a credit card, cell phone, or cable bill suffice?

My future BIL has already joined our family residence but we're not interested in changing names on the utility bill or wait in line for a DMV update on his driver's license.

Thanks in advance.
Why proof did you end up using? Thanks.
Old May 10, 2011, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Flews
Everyone has a residential address
Except for the estimated (in 2005) 100 million homeless people.
Old May 10, 2011, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm thinking most of them don't have SPG accounts...but, then again, you never know.
Old May 11, 2011, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Perhaps. Except the "homeless" by definition, aren't staying at hotels. If they did, they wouldn't be "homeless", and would have a residential address.

Cheers,
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by lebowski76
[email protected] is the email you want - send the names, spg #s, and transfer amount and the process can speed up greatly. My email at 10pm last night was resolved by 7am.
Thank you for the info! Mine was done in 20 mins ... probably a record. I had to explain my situation where my son may possibly be left out in an international travel.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Flews
Perhaps. Except the "homeless" by definition, aren't staying at hotels. If they did, they wouldn't be "homeless", and would have a residential address.

Cheers,
Actually, the vast majority of homeless people live in temporary accommodation, like hotels (though typically not Cat 7 SPG properties). Whilst not exactly "homeless", I've spent a couple of years without a residence - for most purposes I got away with pretending that an office I sometimes worked in was where I slept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.