Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG no longer doing instant internal transfers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG no longer doing instant internal transfers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by mkpkmp
One way to prevent fraud would be to create something like the household account in British Airway program. You can still transfer between household members, but it take more works to add members and remove members from the account.
That's a good idea, but I get the feeling that *wood is not going to do that.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
When redeeming SPG points to miles, does the name on the SPG account have to match the name on the airline FF account?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Could you kindly stop that fraud gossip? Fraud requires a "damage". And shifting points from one account to another does not cause any damage to SPG. It is - under certain circumstances - simply against the TOS and they want to prevent it, but not every breach of TOS (I avoid the word "contract" for good reason) is "fraud".
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:50 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by jw713
When redeeming SPG points to miles, does the name on the SPG account have to match the name on the airline FF account?
Yes.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:53 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by schley
This is bad news for all. It was one of the few programs that allowed this so freely. It was a big reason for how highly they were valued in CC as well. Still a great program and their value is still high, but this does take some of their value away as it won't be easy to exchange.
Actually besides a slightly longer period of time needed for the transfer to be approved, there are no other changes being implemented.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
part of this has to be that US Air Grand Slam promo where everyone wanted one mile transferred in. I don't know much about it but there were quite a few requests for this type of transaction.
also whenever they run a Bonus miles with a transfer or the Carrier is giving the extra miles on top of the 20k for 25k (which SPG gives) Pts are sold left & right and the Brokers come out of the wood work

with AAs last promo people were able to get to 1MM very easy by buying SPG pts which were selling for well over 2 cents each

so Abuse might be a better term then Fraud

the question is what if anything will SPG do when they find these people by auditing everyones acct, can they get the Miles sent to AA to be returned and will they put them back into the persons acct or simply CX that acct along with the Miles/Pts. If they do nothing then they will be rewarding those who abused the T&Cs

or what about all those who were constantly changing their addresses so it should match the address of the other person they were trading or buying or selling to, Im sure an Audit will reveal everything as well, or will SPG simply say OK from 11/15 forward and whgat was was?

Last edited by craz; Nov 16, 2010 at 9:15 am
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Could you kindly stop that fraud gossip? Fraud requires a "damage". And shifting points from one account to another does not cause any damage to SPG. It is - under certain circumstances - simply against the TOS and they want to prevent it, but not every breach of TOS (I avoid the word "contract" for good reason) is "fraud".
I am pretty sure the issue boils down to the value of consolidated accounts vs. discreet accounts, just like most of the airlines (except BA, BD, KE).

4 accounts with 15K SPG has less redemption value than 1 account with 60K.
* no access to 4 nights/get one free for Cat 2+
* no access to Nights/Flights
* no access to Cat 6/7
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
I just did a legitimate transfer (to consolidate points) from one family member's account to another family member's account this morning. All that seemed to be different than the previous times was that I was asked for a password for both the accounts and only after authenticating it did the agent complete the transfer.

It did take a little longer than the previous times but only by a few minutes. The transfer was completed even before I disconnected the call.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:06 am
Community Director Emerita

Hyatt and Marriott both offer ways of combining points from two different accounts to use for a specific booking. It's a bit cumbersome, but it is a defined process. Hilton allows its award certs to be issued to any named person from my account. This certificate has a one year validity. There are times that I have gifted a Starwood reservation to a friend. It's a flawed process. Once I had a friend call me from the front desk of a hotel for my authorization despite the Starwood agent having put his name on the record. Further, such awards are guaranteed with my credit card number. Should my friend fail to check in, I am nailed with the cancellation fee. I have no quarrel if Starwood chooses to scrutinize mergers of accounts, looking to see if the people appear to have resided at the same address for longer than a day. But I do have a problem with us not being given a smoother way of gifting award nights to others. I hope that Starwood will examine the current process and improve it.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
What exactly is an "Internal Point Transfer"?

From one account to another?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:36 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
What exactly is an "Internal Point Transfer"?

From one account to another?
Yes, between accounts that have the same address. For example, my husband "gifts" his points to me on the rare occasion he has a stay solo.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA, USair, United, Amex MR, ICHC, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by craz
also whenever they run a Bonus miles with a transfer or the Carrier is giving the extra miles on top of the 20k for 25k (which SPG gives) Pts are sold left & right and the Brokers come out of the wood work

with AAs last promo people were able to get to 1MM very easy by buying SPG pts which were selling for well over 2 cents each

the question is what if anything will SPG do when they find these people by auditing everyones acct, can they get the Miles sent to AA to be returned and will they put them back into the persons acct or simply CX that acct along with the Miles/Pts. If they do nothing then they will be rewarding those who abused the T&Cs

or what about all those who were constantly changing their addresses so it should match the address of the other person they were trading or buying or selling to, Im sure an Audit will reveal everything as well, or will SPG simply say OK from 11/15 forward and whgat was was?
the time and money it would take them to audit every spg members account would be ridiculous; not gonna happen. you sound like your rearing to go though, maybe they should put you on the case.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 1:36 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Originally Posted by craz

Why do you sound lilke you are itching for a job at the SPG auditing dept.?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ritz
I think this might be a reference not to SPG being a worse program as a result, but maybe as a non-viable conduit to transfer SPG to AA. For many, SPG was the backbone of AA transfer accrual.
This is nothing new since as far as I know, it always took about five days for the SPG transfer to show up in your AA account. The most recent transfer that I did was about three or four months ago and it took the entire five days as I sweated it out hoping that the QF award that I needed would not disappear.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO GLD, *A GLD, A"A Lifetime GLD, Avis Pres. Club, SPG PLT, Hyatt DMND, Fairmont PRMR
Originally Posted by monitor
This is nothing new since as far as I know, it always took about five days for the SPG transfer to show up in your AA account. The most recent transfer that I did was about three or four months ago and it took the entire five days as I sweated it out hoping that the QF award that I needed would not disappear.
You missed the point. We are not discussing doing a transfer from SPG to AA. We are discussing an SPG to SPG transfer which happens (used to happen) instantaneously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.