Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Upgrade Successes 2008

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:54 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
The upgrade held up- I'm in a great corner Mega room on the 17th floor. So far the service has been excellent also.

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Fingers crossed that it stays that way! ^

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Flews
Upgraded without asking to oceanfront room. Enquired about suites, told none available.

My bubby checked in right behind us. He demanded to see the manager and got upgraded to a suite.

Cheers,

guess I should change my reservation if this is how they treat PLT SPG member
Old Jan 13, 2008, 1:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by jlcchien
guess I should change my reservation if this is how they treat PLT SPG member
Possibly, although it may also be a case of the hotel had pre-assigned suites to Plats and there are more Plats than suites, ergo people miss out. In this scenario, someone missing out kicks up a stink and gets the room pre-assigned to another Plat.

If the hotel had free, eligible standard suites, then this indeed is bad practice. If not, then demanding to be given a suite at the expense of someone else is bad practice. No doubt it was the former in this case, but I have seen examples of the latter whilst checking in on a couple of occasions too.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Sheraton Fota Island, Cork

Upgraded from a standard room booked on a Travelzoo rate to a Deluxe Suite. In this case it was the Oak Suite having stayed in the Cherry Suite on our last trip.

Fabulous room as always and fantastic service again from the staff at the hotel. Plats get treated very well at this hotel (as I'm sure do Golds as I was at that status last time we visited.) It is because of reasons like this that the "Pop the Cork Do" is being hosted at this hotel later this year. See below in my signature file if fancy it. (Sorry, cheap plug!)
Old Jan 13, 2008, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Le Meridien Cairo Airport - Upgrade to a suite.
I was only there for 2.5 hours for a quick nap from midnight to 02:30 am before my next flight. Suite was so la la. Bit dated and worn.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:49 am

Programs: SPG Plat, UA 1K, SQ PPS
Sheraton Singapore

Back at the Sheraton Singapore and was upgraded to a room with pool access. No suite upgrade (again). In my past 7 stays, I've only been upgraded to a suite just once (Le Meridien Shanghai) Any help on improving my odds?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
Westin Cancun. Upgrade to a suite once i notified them that i was a platinum. (they didn't believe and were protesting the idea of calling SPG to find out)
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:20 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
Post Upgrades

22 Dec 07 Sheraton Hotel Sydney uppgraded to suite
10 Jan 08 Westin Kuala Lumpur two rooms, one upgraded to one br suite (club access for 4)
12 Jan 08 le meredien Singapore two rooms, one upgrade to suite (club access for 4)
13 Jan 08 4 Pts Sydney suite upgrade
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:03 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Sheraton H&T Brussels. Suite upgrade from el-cheapo EUR 89 internet rate (weekend stay). Suite OK, with some "original features"... late 60s early 70s tiles and wallpaper. It they keep it like that for another 20 years it'll be a design classic and they'll be able to advertise "period features"
Old Jan 15, 2008, 6:23 am

LM Split, LAV (Croatia): Classic room to a large "junior" suite.

Four Points SFO: basic room to a bi-level suite (not much to talk about though)

LM Pacific Tokyo: classic room (25 sq. meters) to a renovated classic room (same size). I would consider this not an upgrade... but got breakfast vouchers . Renovated rooms are better decorated but still lacking character. My rate was 11000 Yen so I am not complaining.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:18 pm

Programs: HH Gold, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, AM Gold, Avis First
Sheraton Seattle, upgrade to Club level. Nothing special about the room at all, but it's close to the club floor and the fitness area. Decent cheese and warm appy selection in the club lounge, although it's a pay bar...
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
At W Court- NY tonight. Upgraded to Fantastic suite which makes about a 90% upgrade rate at this hotel, certainly my favorite W. There is a cool looking Bang & Olafson CD/Radio unit of some sort in the living room. Either it's broken or I can't figure out how to make it work!

Even had no problem getting served down at WetBar. Must have been a slow night....but the bartender sure was nice to look at.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:07 am

Programs: Marriott -Lifetime Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pathfinder05
Back at the Sheraton Singapore and was upgraded to a room with pool access. No suite upgrade (again). In my past 7 stays, I've only been upgraded to a suite just once (Le Meridien Shanghai) Any help on improving my odds?
I've found it depends on the property in question - some are simply very stingy with the upgrades. Unfortunately, it often seems to me that the rule of thumb may well be;
Say nothing, and you probably won't get the suite...
Ask politely, and you may get the suite...
Insist firmly (including that you'll file a complaint if they're lying about availability), and you will probably get a suite !
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:28 pm

Programs: HH Gold, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, AM Gold, Avis First
Sheraton Portland Airport, u/g to a mini-suite tonight. I have to say to anyone planning on being in Portland, if you don't mind being a little ways from downtown, I am upgraded virtually every single visit here, and the service is fantastic. They also did a recent reno that is still being completed so the club lounge has been relocated for about 2 more weeks. Great u/g opportunities here....
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Holy &%$#! My reservation for the Sheraton Libertador Buenos Aires is showing...

Presidential Suite, Sweet Sleeper Bed, Oversized Living Room, Large Marble Bathroom, Cd/dvd Stereo

I have taken a screen-shot. I hope this is still true when I check in, in about 5 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.