Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Around the World Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2001, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Can you fly between two cities as many times as you like as you dont exceed the maximum mileage? I mean could you fly for example DEN-COS Rt several times each day just to get miles? A stopover is a stop over 24 hours and in this case you only stay in COS for an hour or two. Since its only 67 miles and almost all airlines has a minimum mileage this could be worth something.
Old Jan 28, 2001, 6:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
on my Star-rtw in sep-99 I did LAX-SNA-LAX several times. No problem.
Old Jan 29, 2001, 1:54 am
In Memoriam

shouldn't be a problem
Old Jan 29, 2001, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Is there any limit on how many times you could do this? You could easy fly 4RT between LAX-SNA each day and 1RT is only 86miles. This means you could easy became Star Gold with one YRWLITE ticket.
Old Jan 29, 2001, 5:10 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Interesting concept, especially for someone who lives in DEN or COS or SNA/LAX or similar short runs. The best kempis is Vancouver to Victoria though ((only 38 miles)! And there are great frequencies (leaving every half hour in some parts of the day). I think you could easily put on 14 or more segments in a day on this half hour flight. It's a small Dash8 so it has a quick turnaround!

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 01-29-2001).]
Old Jan 29, 2001, 9:54 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I think the only issue is getting something like this actually ticketed. And remember, a RTWSTAR[LITE/1/2/3) is a RW fare - so you could likely do as many LAX-SNA, DEN-COS r/t's you like, but you also have to go around the rest of the world

I was actually thinking of one of these tix in connection with a Baht run type of idea, except don't pay the baht. Just find some small route in Thailand and fly fly fly. Unfortunately the miles would add up, in which case a DEN-COS would seem ideal.

I think the biggest hurdle would be finding someone who would ticket it, and then being "noticed" - I mean someone who flies between two cities like that, specially in such a short period of time would *have* to attract attention - even if it is from the CSR's who will see the paper ticket. Only a drug courier or mileage run would attract that kind of usage (any other obvious uses?). Either way someone would get very interested in what you were up to! It could be you'd need an angel of an agent to ticket a RWSTAR* with a bunch of short hops like this - I know someone who would, but you can't have him! mine! mine! mine!

(can you imagine how many coupons the ticket would go? one for each segment, could could easily do 30-40 segments....)

------------------
UA 1K MEL
Old Jan 30, 2001, 5:08 am
In Memoriam

best bet probably is to have a biz rtw ticket collecting your miles with M&M and do some of those routes (some twice, three times).

In this case you just have to pay attention to at least fly shuttle instead of UAX (3.750 miles in F instead of 1.250 in coach each way).

Some routes (65 - 120 miles) DEN - COS, ORD - MKE, IAD - PHL, SFO - SJO, LAX - PSP, LAX - SAN, IAD - RIC, TUS - PHX. I did six of 'em rt on my last rtw (total: some 1000 miles flown) for 45.000 LH status miles.

[This message has been edited by bernie (edited 01-30-2001).]
Old Jan 30, 2001, 7:26 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally posted by RichardMEL:
I think the only issue is getting something like this actually ticketed. And remember, a RTWSTAR[LITE/1/2/3) is a RW fare - so you could likely do as many LAX-SNA, DEN-COS r/t's you like, but you also have to go around the rest of the world

I was actually thinking of one of these tix in connection with a Baht run type of idea, except don't pay the baht. Just find some small route in Thailand and fly fly fly. Unfortunately the miles would add up, in which case a DEN-COS would seem ideal.

I think the biggest hurdle would be finding someone who would ticket it, and then being "noticed" - I mean someone who flies between two cities like that, specially in such a short period of time would *have* to attract attention - even if it is from the CSR's who will see the paper ticket. Only a drug courier or mileage run would attract that kind of usage (any other obvious uses?). Either way someone would get very interested in what you were up to! It could be you'd need an angel of an agent to ticket a RWSTAR* with a bunch of short hops like this - I know someone who would, but you can't have him! mine! mine! mine!

(can you imagine how many coupons the ticket would go? one for each segment, could could easily do 30-40 segments....)
Our TA would easily book it ! Mail me if you need the address.

[This message has been edited by peter42 (edited 01-30-2001).]
Old Jan 31, 2001, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Does this mean I could book a YRWLITE for 15100SEK and then fly ARN-FRA-LAX-BKK-ARN

In LAX I travel 15RT to SNA. After this I would have over 35.000 miles which would be enough for * Gold. 15100SEK=1568$+taxes
Old Jan 31, 2001, 8:39 am
Original Member

Possibly -- provided you don't exceed that 26k mile total on LITE fares

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 01-31-2001).]
Old Jan 31, 2001, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally posted by BlondeBomber:
Possibly -- provided you don't exceed that 26k mile total on LITE fares

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 01-31-2001).]
This would only be 21214miles
Old Jan 31, 2001, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally posted by BlondeBomber:
Interesting concept, especially for someone who lives in DEN or COS or SNA/LAX or similar short runs. The best kempis is Vancouver to Victoria though ((only 38 miles)! And there are great frequencies (leaving every half hour in some parts of the day). I think you could easily put on 14 or more segments in a day on this half hour flight. It's a small Dash8 so it has a quick turnaround!

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 01-29-2001).]
Is Vancouver-Victoria the best option(less miles) or is it even a better option out there?
Old Jan 31, 2001, 1:18 pm
Original Member

. . . well there was something about going across the harbour from HKG to Macau but I don't know if any Star carriers fly that route. Can't remember but there was a thread on the longest and shortest commercial routes.

Houston Hobby to IAH and similar pairs also must be fairly short but no Star carriers.
Old Jan 31, 2001, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
Such a short route might also make sense if you do it in conjunction with an (otherwise overpriced) Pass Plus from United or equivalent from another airline, where you pay a flat fee to fly X miles in a year, or two years, because you earn 250 or 500 miles per segment even if the segment is much shorter.

Does AC offer this program? If so, then you pay for (say) 25,000 miles and then fly between Vancouver and Victoria over and over, using up only 76 miles of your allotment each RT, but earning 500 or 1000 miles (whatever AC's minimum accrual per flight is, times 2).

On UA you could buy the ticket in July, do (say) PDX-SEA which is about 260 air miles RT, earn 1000 status miles each RT, doing 50 RTs in 2001 and 50 RTs in 2002. You earn 50,000 status miles (good toward the million mile thingie) each year and qualify for 1K on segments for 2001 and 2002, which means that you have status through February 29, 2004.
Old Jan 31, 2001, 9:19 pm
Original Member

AC doesn't have anything like that (that I know of).

The thread on the shortest jet flights is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/003693.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.