Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Around the World Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Around the World Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2001, 3:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
only for Aeroplan members (so far)
Old Feb 25, 2001, 11:23 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
while ticketed on UA in December JFK-SFO-YVR, we were changed to JFK-SEA-YVR.

The final leg was AirBC SEA-YVR. Good for 500 miles, but NO STAR ALLIANCE miles on UAL YTD total. NO * MILES. NO Q MILES.

I was able to get credit for original flight, including Prem bonus and Summer from hell bonus.

My wife flew through YVR this summer en route to Winnipeg. She used UA MP#. Again YYJ-YVR AirBC no Q-miles, No Star-miles.

This may not be the case with Aeroplan, Make sure though before making 10 or more round trips/day for no reason

Point Being.... Watch out RTW Q miles. Make sure you don't get burned.

Any clarification on this appreciated

[This message has been edited by seanthepilot (edited 02-25-2001).]
Old Mar 26, 2001, 12:54 pm
Original Member

Just bringing this forward for beaubo.
Old Mar 26, 2001, 1:01 pm
Original Member

Missed this earlier while I was in Africa:

"The final leg was AirBC SEA-YVR. Good for 500 miles, but NO STAR ALLIANCE miles on UAL YTD total. NO * MILES. NO Q MILES."
What's a Star Alliance Miles. You should get Q miles as this. From the UA website:

AIR CANADA
" A Star Alliance member

Earning miles
Air Canada and Air Canada Connector®
--Air BC is an Air Canada Connector.

If you haven't claimed this from UA, I would write them and copy the website page:

http://ual.com/site/primary/1,10017,1180,00.html
Old Mar 26, 2001, 1:39 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
BlondeBomber-

The UA short haul jet routes (DEN-COS, ORD-MKE, LAX-SAN, etc.) tend to be interspersed with UAX, so seamless volume travel would tough in C.

Most short haul ALL UA flights are about 200+ miles (ORD-GRR, LAX-LAS), so ratio would be
250 C flt miles=3750 M&M 20:1 MM/mil ratio
vs
50 Y flt miles=1000 M&M 15:1 MM/mil ratio

Would you care to comment if flying the RTW in C or F would create more tolerance/flexibility with UA since you're spending more gross dollars AND flying fewer of these 'discretionary' short runs??

For the 25% less earning power of flying flying F instead of Y is pretty much made up by the time savings of not having to fly so many short haul routes.

Old Mar 26, 2001, 2:21 pm
Original Member

Six of one half a dozen of the other, depends whether the people want to save time or just do a couple of RTs per day in comfort.

I guess, the Y option looks good when you figure how many segments you can do in a day and there are lots of places to do it (eg. Vancouver-Victoria, BC), the LAX quadrangle etc.
Old Mar 26, 2001, 8:35 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
2 words: "Baht Run"

------------------
UA 1K MEL
A Star Alliance(tm) Member.
Old Mar 26, 2001, 9:08 pm
Original Member

I am thinking that it might be better to do slightly longer flights and stick with the F class on routes like COS-DEN. 72 miles but you can easily do 8 F class segments per day.

By my calculations, you could earn 8 X 3750 miles per day = 30000 in the F class scenario compared with only 17500 in the Y class scenario (14 segments maximum per day LAX-SNA). Plus you would spend less of the day and feel better.

If you had 9000 miles of RTW "headroom", it would still take 9000/72 miles = 125 segments to use these all up, about 16 days of flying to earn 480000 points.

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 03-26-2001).]
Old Mar 27, 2001, 12:43 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Woe is me - I am flying United Distress on DEN-COS-DEN next week!

<homer>

D'OH!

</homer>

------------------
UA 1K MEL
A Star Alliance(tm) Member.
Old Apr 6, 2001, 2:08 pm
formerly bLuJaay

Just a little confused:

Wouldn't doing DEN-COS-DEN-COS-DEN,etc. a number of times exceed the allowed stopover requirements for a RTW. (US and Canada: 5)

Also wouldn't it violate the rule where it says you can not visit the same city twice, wouldn't you be visiting DEN a number of times?
Old Apr 6, 2001, 2:15 pm
Original Member

You are not actually stopping over if your spend less than 24 hours!

"a stopover on an international ticket (and a Star-rtw is an international ticket) a stop longer than 23 hours and 59 minutes"

You would be in continuous travel (not stopover mode) if you flew from 8AM to 8PM every day, took 12 hours to rest, eat and sightsee (at night?) and then started over at 8 AM the next day.

The biggest poser is who is going to ticket a hundred or more segments?

These are all theoretical and not tested. They ARE allowed by the rules regarding stopovers but maybe there is some computer glitch that will prevent more than x segments?
Old Apr 11, 2001, 3:17 am

LAX-SNA RT is 86 miles which makes 1,000 status miles, both as already mentioned.

I don't know what is the SHORTEST RTW route ...assume taking LAX-LHR-NRT-LAX route. This totals 17,113 actual miles, which leaves 7,887 miles for "other" use for STARLITE.
If you fly all 7,887 miles between LAX-SNA, it allows 91 roundtrips. This yields 91,000 status miles.
Since 6 LAX-SNA RT's or 7 SNA-LAX RT's can be made in one day, the 91 RT's run can be done in 14 days in the shortest.

Total status miles: 108,113 miles. Total segments: 185 segments.

Let me do some more stupid number play...if you only concentrate maximizing mileage earnings with RTW STAR 3...

This time you have 21,887 miles to do LAX-SNA RT's. You can do 254 times. Makes 254,000 status miles. Requires 37 days or more. Total status miles: 271,113 miles. Total segments: 511 segments.

Suppose you've just joined to Mileage Plus. You have no miles and of course no status at the beginning of this stupid run.
At the end of day 4, you've already flown more than 50 segments. It may take a day to post, but even so at day 6 you are already Premier Executive. At day 10 you become 1K.
Your first run makes about 500K miles in total including tier bonus. If you are PremEx or 1K from the beginning you receive about 540K miles.

RWSTAR3 in Economy $4300 / 540K miles = 0.79 cents/mile

Lastly...do three more path and you are a Million Miler.
Old Apr 11, 2001, 3:42 am

Oops...all what I wrote is if you prefer UA & Mileage Plus...
Old Apr 11, 2001, 4:41 am
Original Poster

It will be intresting to hear what the travel agency says when you are going to make a booking with over 500! segments.

Also note that a Premier gets 25% bonus of the mileage when flying United and United Shuttle. Premier Executive gets 100% bonus and you can only imagine how many miles you get if they have a campaing for this route with doubbel points

[This message has been edited by kempis (edited 04-11-2001).]
Old Apr 11, 2001, 6:25 am

Since you can alter itinerary after you start RTW travel if you don't mind paying $75 fee each time, you don't necessarily have to book 500+ segments at once.
You can add 20 segments every other day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.