Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Around the World Question

Star Around the World Question

Old Feb 1, 01, 9:54 pm

Originally posted by RichardMEL:
"Hi my name is RichardMEL.. I'd like to check in for all my flights today. Can you issue me with 14 boarding passes? "

Actually was a necessity doing the Baht Pass
since the next flight out would be within 30 minutes or so, less than that if there was delay on the incoming. They actually welcome heavy flying as its more business for them.

Old Feb 1, 01, 11:58 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I get enough odd looks from CSR's etc when I do crazy stuff like SAN-ORD-LAX or BOS-YYZ-EWR. I think I'd be so embarassed to roll up with a PNR that had like 14 sectors in one day back and forward !!!!

------------------
UA 1K MEL
Old Feb 2, 01, 11:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
RichardMEL
after arriving in MEL mid-january 2000, I asked one of the ladies at the Ansett Golden Wing lounge to verify (and add my preferred seat assignments to) all my inner Australian e-tickets: 24 segments in total that I would fly during my 12 days stay.

She looked at my next first flight and asked me to show up the next morning before departure. (I was a little bit afraid, because most of the tickets were back-to-back tickets and in add I bought them through the Internet when I was still in Europe and the official sale rules said, for these heavily discounted tickets, only offered in Australia).

I agreed and left a swiss chocolate package ...

The next early morning, I was greeted with a big smile everything was arranged perfectly. And for all future flights starting from MEL during that fortnight, I didn't have to show any identification at the Lounge entrance (I always did wear my 'black swiss farmer-shirt with alpine flower ornaments on it at check-in time) anymore and the e-tickets were always already printed out and ready for me at the desk. And I always had my window seat in the first row just behind business-class (with the exception of my Cairns-SYD segment where the FA, after boarding, asked me to move forward to business!). They treated me like a VIP!
Old Feb 3, 01, 12:39 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Don't feel embarrassed. I've often flown segments in the USA where you go out with a crew, stay over night and they operate the flight back. It's often fun!

Also, I too have flown back and forward on the same day - STN-EDI 8 times in a day on KLMUK before they closed the route and whilst the staff think you're mad it works OK.
Old Feb 3, 01, 4:02 am

Location: Santa Barbara, CA USA: Round the World Travel, Star Alliance. United 1K, Lufthansa Senator, Singapore PPS
There is nothing illegal or immoral about a mileage run.

But you can't fly back and forth on an RWSTAR RTW ticket. The stopover rules say Min 3 Max 15 stopovers, not more than 5 stopovers in USA/Canada, and no stopover more than once in any city.

But you could fly JFK LAX MIA SFO ORD MEX SEA, or such like, and rack up miles that way.

Rudi- How did you do what you said you did?
Old Feb 3, 01, 5:13 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
A stopover is more than 24 hours !
Old Feb 3, 01, 5:15 am
Original Member

. . . so you could stop in YVR and fly back and forth to Victoria for the next week and/or go to BKK and fly around Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai for a week (never more than 4 hours, let along 24 hours in any one of those places (other than stopover city of course).
Old Feb 3, 01, 9:43 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
yes, a stopover on an international ticket (and a Star-rtw is an international ticket) a stop longer than 23 hours and 59 minutes (swiss watches like to be precise) or the next connecting flight, whatever takes longer! (the next connecting flight could be 6 days and some hours later: like the one in a week only flight with Air NewZealand from Honolulu to Fidji.
Old Feb 3, 01, 9:48 am
Original Member

ah but is that 23 hours 59 minutes 59 seconds 999 microseconds
Old Feb 3, 01, 10:31 am
Original Poster

In what booking class is RTW booked on AC? AC has a nice promo where they offer double miles on your first 8 segments between US and Canada or within Canada.Triple miles from segment 9-16 and four times the miles from segment 17 and on.
More info at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum5/HTML/001714.html

Is YVR-YYJ the shortest flight domestic Canada?

[This message has been edited by kempis (edited 02-03-2001).]
Old Feb 3, 01, 11:09 am
Original Member

Rudi formerly posted this:

RTW booking classes: First / business / econo
LH: F / D / B
AC: F & C & S / C & S & A / B
SK: F (or D) / C / B
TG: P / J / M
UA: A / D / B
RG: F / C / H
AN: D / D / V
NZ: P & J / D & J /V (int) T (dom)

Yes Vancouver-Victoria is the shortest scheduled flight with a * carrier. No business class unfortunately though.

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 02-03-2001).]
Old Feb 3, 01, 11:19 am
Original Member

Now how many segments are you going to do Vancouver-Victoria kempis?

160 segments X 2000 miles per segment = 320000 + about 25000 for RTW with bonuses (too bad they are not status miles!).

I sense a rule change coming on
Old Feb 3, 01, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by BlondeBomber:
Rudi formerly posted this:

RTW booking classes: First / business / econo
LH: F / D / B
AC: F & C & S / C & S & A / B
SK: F (or D) / C / B
TG: P / J / M
UA: A / D / B
RG: F / C / H
AN: D / D / V
NZ: P & J / D & J /V (int) T (dom)

Yes Vancouver-Victoria is the shortest scheduled flight with a * carrier. No business class unfortunately though.

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 02-03-2001).]
One intresting note about this Air Canada promo is that its valid on UA as well. Guess which booking codes that are valid? B is included
Old Feb 3, 01, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by BlondeBomber:
Now how many segments are you going to do Vancouver-Victoria kempis?

160 segments X 2000 miles per segment = 320000 + about 25000 for RTW with bonuses (too bad they are not status miles!).

I sense a rule change coming on
I will most likely not do it, though I am tempted. The best part if I would do is that I can make the booking myself I wonder what my friends at work would say if I flew 100 segments domestic Canada ? As far as it looks now I will make Aeroplan Elite sometime this summer.
Old Feb 3, 01, 2:25 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
From 01Feb, NZ follows the *star* booking code scheme, so it books in A / D / B for Stars...

mmmm i have a possible diversion to YXE coming up, I better check this promo.. or is it only for Aeroplan members?

------------------
UA 1K MEL

Search this Thread