Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to rent a car at LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2001, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Infinite Elite, SPG Plat, US Gold, MR Plat, etc
Best way to rent a car at LAX?

First, I am Avis Preferred, their best rate for Feb 4-6 is about $200! Does this seem high for a intermediate car? Hertz is more. Enterprise is only $80 but I have no idea where they are.
Old Jan 21, 2001, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, Lifetime Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
All the rental companies at LAX are "off airport". They're all about five minuets away. Trick is how long they take to process your rental. The bigger guys will take you less time at the counter and have more frequent buses. As an Avis Preferred, you'll spend zero time at the counter. Try throwing different discount numbers at them (AAA, AMEX, your airline FF#, etc.). $200 does seem steep for that period. Perhaps make a cheaper reservation as a back up and see if Avis doesn't come down in a week or two.
Old Jan 21, 2001, 3:06 pm

Check http://www.travelnow.com/cars/index.jsp , you'll find Thrifty @ $27.89/day, Alamo @ $38.99, Dollar @ $39.99, etc. for an intermediate size car. Avis shows $63.99/day.
Old Jan 21, 2001, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Avis is quite expensive at LAX. I've paid $55/day generally. I would try another company. I have gotten some good rates with Thrifty although I am not ready to recommend them.
Old Jan 21, 2001, 7:54 pm

I've a variety of Avis rates available to me. In every case, I've received a better rate than any of them by going to the counter and asking "what's your best walk-up rate?"

------------------
Craig
Old Jan 21, 2001, 8:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
If you rent from Alamo at LAX make sure you are a Quicksilver member or you might stand in line for an hour (I'm not kidding).
Old Jan 21, 2001, 8:09 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Sounds more like you're Avis F*#&ed.
Old Jan 21, 2001, 8:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
If you go to Travelocity, you can find cars for less than $20 day from the minors and from less than $25 day for more recognized rental agencies like Enterprise for intermediate cars. But even at Hertz I am showing less than $40 day.

I don't value Hertz, Budget or Avis enough to pay double for a car. I have rented from Payless and been more happy with the service than Alamo. All depends on the individual staff and the location.
Old Jan 21, 2001, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I've been using National for years.
Try them. They usually have lower prices then #1 and #2.

Dam
Old Jan 22, 2001, 12:08 am

National's 'choose your own car and drive it away' is also useful. Especially if you're not a Murkin, and don't understand the choices that a booking agent might offer you on the telephone.

------------------
Craig
Old Jan 22, 2001, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Have you tried Hotwire?? They have launched car rentals on a "beta" site at: http://beta.hotwire.com/index.jsp

I found the two day rental for $67 total

Old Jan 22, 2001, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I used travelocity for a trip last week to LAX. $24.97 a day for Avis.

Old Jan 22, 2001, 3:37 pm

Enterprise is on a side street half a block from Century Blvd. (the wide street that connects the 405 with the terminal loop road). It's almost across the street from the ARCO and McDonalds. Enterprise has a bus.

I used Enterprise once when the other rates were sky high.

Old Jan 22, 2001, 8:34 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Don't know about Avis.

The best way to rent a Hertz car at LAX is at the LAX Marriott. It books as "El Segundo" rather than "airport" so you miss a bunch of airport fees. The hotel shuttle takes you there for free, and faster than to the Hertz lot. If you're not #1 Club Gold, there's little line, so that's faster, too.

Rate quoted on line is $25 first day, $58 additional days for an intermediate car (first day's a weekend day). I used AAA discount (10%). If you can arrange to drop it off within 49 hours of pickup you only pay for two days.

Good luck. Tell us what works best.
Old Jan 23, 2001, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
I've always found Hertz to be the most convenient and the fastest - if you join the #1 club gold. Which you can do for free if you ask for the United Hemispheres magazine, small business special

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.