Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Around the World Question

Star Around the World Question

Old Apr 11, 01, 6:31 am

Well in only a few hours I'm so much addicted to *A RTW (and oneworld RTW too).
It's already 5:30am but I don't think I can go to sleep without doing some more digging out...
Old Apr 16, 01, 11:56 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
WOW! Tvl4free has never visited this area of the board before.

Thanks all! Tvl4free feels some motivation comming on!

Rudi could you e-me with any and/or all the rules of the various RTW fares that you might have? It will save me quite a bit of research time.

Time to go to work...!!!

Old Apr 16, 01, 12:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
travel4free: everything that I (and other Flyertalkers) know, is posted here.

I am just as lazy as you are to retype it again in an email
Old Apr 16, 01, 1:02 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Originally posted by Rudi:
travel4free: everything that I (and other Flyertalkers) know, is posted here.

I am just as lazy as you are.
Actually, I'm not lazy at all.

Just thought you might have some of the missing fine print. Never mind.
Old Apr 17, 01, 1:30 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Ask your questions and we shall answer. Some of us get asked * questions by the airlines!

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old May 2, 01, 6:09 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RichardMEL:
[B]Ask your questions and we shall answer. Some of us get asked * questions by the airlines!

In relation to stopovers, I was told by 2 UA CSRs that it works like this:
If you are connecting to/from an international segment, a stopover is 24 hours. If you are purely domestic/domestic, a stopover is 4 hours.

So SYD-LAX-DEN, you could take 23hrs in LAX and it wouldn't be a stopover.

ORD-DEN-SLC, you could only have 4hrs in DEN.
Old May 2, 01, 7:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
. . . but they are mistaken. If it is an international ticket, all connections are 24 hours. Rudi has done this successfully on many occasions no (using the 24 hour rule on domestic segments)?

We just had a similar problem on a Canada to Mexico ticket where they wouldn't ticket because connecting times were too short for internal Canada segments AS it was an international ticket so connection times are also more (ie. 1 hour instead of 30 minutes etc.).
Old May 3, 01, 12:18 am
In Memoriam

A RTW is an international ticket ... so any flt is part of an international trip .. any stop up to 24 hrs is not considered a stopover.
I myself had about 12 stops last September - but just 4 stopvers.
Old May 3, 01, 4:41 am
Original Member

BlondeBomber is correct (regarding my stopovers on rtw).

On such an international ticket, even entirely multiple inn NorthAmerican segments officially are allowed 23 hours 59 minutes

- or even longer if the next connecting flight is later, example: if there is only one direct UA flight/week from LAX to Aspen (on weekends) a NON-stopover in LAX could last as long as 6 days/nights (if arriving in LAX on a Sunday late or Monday ...).

But it is also true that many (most) NorthAmerica-based UA employees will (understandibly) not be aware of these rules. I let my LH Angels in Zürich type a short info about that rule into my PNR and then, mostly, it works without big discussions (but still some astonishments and supervisor-calling ...).
Old May 3, 01, 5:36 am

Fair enough. They were Australian-based UA CSRs who told me that. So they probably know even less than their US counterparts...
Old May 7, 01, 1:13 am

Programs: AC-E, LH-SEN, AA-PLT, KLM GE
This sounds like a gold mine to me!! I can't see the airlines allowing this to continue indefinitely. I was wondering if this scheme would work with non-mileage based RTW's such as OWE and UA/CX joint RTW?

Any thoughts? I start a UA/CX RTW ex-BKK next week.
Old May 7, 01, 2:22 am
Original Member

Programs: QF Platypus UA PE MM HH Diamond
Is there any difficulty using Star Lite this way? Conditions do not seem to limit the # of transfers, and the maximum 26K miles seems the same. Notice booking class is H and condition G states "upgrading on a flight sector basis to a higher class of travel is not permitted". Should that be read as not allowing an upgrade using a SWU?Koala

[This message has been edited by Koala (edited 05-07-2001).]
Old Jun 19, 01, 8:46 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Has anyone actually done something like this yet? What's the highest number of segments anyone has managed to actually fly on a * RTW?
Old Jul 20, 01, 10:12 am
mgenser

Hi you all!

Well, this thread did make me curious (being a student, I might even have the time to make such a "silly" mileage run )...

Now, while doing my "research", I stumbled across some very special "flights"... Ever thought of LH 9410 (FRA-CGN), 9411 (CGN-FRA), 9412 (FRA-CGN) etc., operated by Deutsche Bahn (train service), with a FRA-CGN distance of 65 miles?

Don't these "flights" give the normal 1000/2000 (eco/biz) minimum miles - and if I understand your previous comments correctly, you could book

LH 9412 FRA 07:57 - CGN 10:00
LH 9433 CGN 17:00 - FRA 19:00

for (let's say) 30 days in a row and use your RTW as a kind of "commuter pass"

Well? Any ideas?

BTW: How does LH check whether you do use your flight segment, anyway?

Best regards,
Martin

Old Jul 20, 01, 11:18 am
Original Member

I don't think that the DB-train-'flights' count as status miles - do they? And in add, they probably don't qualify for Star-rtw-tickets, as DB (Deutsche Bahn) is not a StarAlliance member.

But I have never tried it, anyone knows for sure?

Search this Thread