Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Aditya Rakhman
Hi everyone,

I am Indonesian, and will go to Medellin through Madrid with these details:
Jakarta - Madrid on Etihad landing at T1
Madrid - Medellin on Avianca at T4S
gap between land and departure = 7 hours
I don’t have an Schengen visa

How reliable is the on-request airside T1 to T4S bus? I don’t mind the 30-40 minute wait I read here, just need to make sure it works.. Is there a guide somewhere as to how this exactly works? Thanks!
I did Eithad Avianca before. It takes a while for them to get the bus. I'd say it runs every twenty minutes. Then it's a ten minute ride in the middle of no where. How was your trip? Is the airside connection still an option?

If yes, can someone edit the main post and say that there are airside connections between t1 to t4s? I went through the airside connection on the 15th of August. I have family traveling via Madrid, they lack Schengen visa's as well. I'm getting paranoid if the airside connections are still a thing.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:18 pm

DELETED

Last edited by campbellsa; Nov 5, 2019 at 3:20 pm Reason: Meant to add quote
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
Not doable. I wouldn't risk it. The metro won't help - it's a longish walk from the T123 metro station to T2 and the bus runs just as frequently.
Just circling back on this...although my experience may have been unusual, there was more than enough time to make this connection. I landed Terminal 4S Gate S11 at 8:00am and was at my T2 Easyjet gate at 8:45am. Took the elevators through the terminals and shuttle bus between. No waits at immigration/security, which certainly helped.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Glad it worked out. However, if you were 14 mins late (still on-time by airline standards), and you would have had a 10 min wait at immigration, and a 10-min shuttle bus wait, that would've meant arriving at 9:20 AM at the easyJet gate, well within their right to deny you boarding.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:32 pm

Tried to find a similar sample in the thread but couldn't find it, so appreciate any help here!

Landing December 27th in Madrid at Terminal 1 at 9:25 am. Need to connect to Terminal 4 Iberia with the flight at 11:50 am domestic flight to Granada.

Will 2 hours and 25 minutes be enough to connect from 1 to 4?
Will have bags and both of us are Americans.
- Have option to do business class on the 11:50 am domestic flight if it helps the transfer.

Thank you!
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by totoropanda
Tried to find a similar sample in the thread but couldn't find it, so appreciate any help here!

Landing December 27th in Madrid at Terminal 1 at 9:25 am. Need to connect to Terminal 4 Iberia with the flight at 11:50 am domestic flight to Granada.

Will 2 hours and 25 minutes be enough to connect from 1 to 4?
Will have bags and both of us are Americans.
- Have option to do business class on the 11:50 am domestic flight if it helps the transfer.

Thank you!
Assuming this are back up and running normally by then and this is all on a single ticket - should be tight, but doable. If anything runs late, you're screwed. I'd be comfortable doing this with a carry-on only.
totoropanda likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: Executive Club
Hi I need some information please. UK national arriving from SDQ Iberia so terminal 4S and transiting to an Iberia flight to London in the non-Schengen area of 4. The IATA rules say that UK nationals can only enter Spain when arriving from the UK, so I want to check if there is a way to transit from 4S to 4 airside? I have been told there is a bus, can anyone confirm if this is currently running? Or have any UK nationals recently (since September 2020) arrived in Madrid from somewhere other than the UK and has immigration let them in?
Old Sep 29, 2020, 9:19 am
Suspended

T4S is closed.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by funkydrummer
T4S is closed.
I'm looking at the Madrid Airport website and it is showing live arrivals for T4S for tomorrow.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 11:50 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by JessicaB
Hi I need some information please. UK national arriving from SDQ Iberia so terminal 4S and transiting to an Iberia flight to London in the non-Schengen area of 4. The IATA rules say that UK nationals can only enter Spain when arriving from the UK, so I want to check if there is a way to transit from 4S to 4 airside? I have been told there is a bus, can anyone confirm if this is currently running? Or have any UK nationals recently (since September 2020) arrived in Madrid from somewhere other than the UK and has immigration let them in?
There is an underground train connecting T4 and T4S. The train is airside, that is you need to clear security before getting on the train to go from T4 to T4S, however, T4S has its own passport controls. I have never connected in MAD; when arriving, we had to clear immigration at T4S before boarding the train to T4 to exit the airport. When departing, we passed through security at T4 before boarding the train and then cleared immigration exit control at T4S.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
There is an underground train connecting T4 and T4S. The train is airside, that is you need to clear security before getting on the train to go from T4 to T4S, however, T4S has its own passport controls. I have never connected in MAD; when arriving, we had to clear immigration at T4S before boarding the train to T4 to exit the airport. When departing, we passed through security at T4 before boarding the train and then cleared immigration exit control at T4S.
Thanks for your reply. I know this is how it normally works, but specifically I want to know a) if T4S is actually open at the moment (someone upthread said it isn't, but Madrid Airport website says it is) and b) if there is a way to transfer airside using a bus instead of the train, someone has told me that there is a bus which you can use between T4S airside and T4 airside which avoids you needing to pass through immigration twice and using the train.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 12:04 pm
Suspended

I'm looking at the Madrid Airport website and it is showing live arrivals for T4S for tomorrow.
My previous post ITT can be disregarded. Wasn't aware they moved some flights back to S.

Last edited by flyertalker28120; Sep 29, 2020 at 9:19 pm
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Thanks for your reply. I know this is how it normally works, but specifically I want to know... b) if there is a way to transfer airside using a bus instead of the train, someone has told me that there is a bus which you can use between T4S airside and T4 airside which avoids you needing to pass through immigration twice and using the train.
According to the Madrid-Barajas Airport website, connections between T4 and T4S can only be made via the underground train.

For non-Schengen connecting passengers there is a bus between T1 and T4S which is run when requested, however, there is no bus stop at T4.

Whether that information is current, I have no idea.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 2:59 pm

Non-Schengen flights from T4 used to also have a bus gate at T4S so people could avoid entering Schengen if they were connecting. I have no idea how it works now.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Here's Iberia's transit guide for MAD: https://www.iberia.com/us/fly-with-i...ctions-madrid/

There was an internal/airside connections bus to get already checked-in passengers between terminals T1, T2, T3, T4 and T4S. I usually go landside at MAD if on separate tickets or stick to T4/T4S with the train thingy, so I don't know what's up with that bus.

Something about that bus is still found here: https://www.iberia.com/us/faqs/t4-madrid/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.