Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:43 am

Programs: Executive Club
I did read on another thread that Spanish immigration were deciding on a day-by-day basis whether to allow non-Schengen passengers to transit. This was some US passengers travelling to the UK via Madrid and Iberia re-routed them via the US as on the day concerned Spanish immigration were not permitting transit.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JessicaB
I did read on another thread that Spanish immigration were deciding on a day-by-day basis whether to allow non-Schengen passengers to transit. This was some US passengers travelling to the UK via Madrid and Iberia re-routed them via the US as on the day concerned Spanish immigration were not permitting transit.
Did it work out?
Old Oct 30, 2020, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Did it work out?
Yes it's easy. As you get off the flight from London there is a lady who is calling out for any transit passengers and then she asks you where you're going to. I said Santo Domingo, and she directed me to a bus which took me straight to the other terminal, so I didn't pass through immigration nor security. It's evidently the same on the reverse journey, a friend who is an Iberia pilot checked with a friend of his who is senior in immigration in Madrid and confirmed that transit passengers from outside Schengen to outside Schengen don't need to pass through immigration.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Yes it's easy. As you get off the flight from London there is a lady who is calling out for any transit passengers and then she asks you where you're going to. I said Santo Domingo, and she directed me to a bus which took me straight to the other terminal, so I didn't pass through immigration nor security. It's evidently the same on the reverse journey, a friend who is an Iberia pilot checked with a friend of his who is senior in immigration in Madrid and confirmed that transit passengers from outside Schengen to outside Schengen don't need to pass through immigration.
That's great to hear! I find it strange IB don't make that more obvious on the website. Seemed weird the prospect of having to enter the schengen zone despite transmitting between 2 non schengen destinations.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 7:43 pm

That's great to hear! I find it strange IB don't make that more obvious on the website. Seemed weird the prospect of having to enter the schengen zone despite transmitting between 2 non schengen destinations.
The normal route was just that, you passed through immigration twice, but it was simple and never long queues. I think with Covid immigration is more of a thing as there are so many restrictions. But with the bus it was a doddle. The only issue was that everything other than 1 bar was shut in T4S. And no lounge in T4S.
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 9:08 pm
Suspended

The normal route was just that, you passed through immigration twice, but it was simple and never long queues. I think with Covid immigration is more of a thing as there are so many restrictions. But with the bus it was a doddle. The only issue was that everything other than 1 bar was shut in T4S. And no lounge in T4S.
Sucks about the lounge. I do not know MAD at all, does T4S have a lounge that is open during non hysterical times?
Old Oct 31, 2020, 5:19 am

Sucks about the lounge. I do not know MAD at all, does T4S have a lounge that is open during non hysterical times?
Yes its called Velasquez and the entrance is in the Duty Free shop.
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 2:45 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
There are 2 lounges, the Airport-run one and the IB-run one. The first one's ok, the second one is great!
Old Nov 20, 2020, 3:22 am

I will be coming into MAD via Emirates, transiting for 12+ hours, and then taking Iberia out, from/to are both non-Schengen - so it looks like I will be arriving at T4 and departing from T4S.

I'd like to use the Iberia lounge in T4S, but I have a couple of questions:

- Since my ticket is with Iberia (economy), is it free, or how much does it cost?
- Because of the long layover, and since I will have to collect my luggage and re-check it (the tickets were purchased separately), will I be able to check in and get to the lounge so far in advance? Usually airlines don't let you check in until 3 hours before, so does that mean I will either be stuck at T4 for most of that time, or in the lobby of T4S waiting for checkin?
Old Nov 20, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
So the layout of T4 is that it's the main access point for ground transportation and T4S is accessed from the secure airside area of T4 via an underground train. They are quite far from each other.

You will arrive into T4S but since you need to collect luggage, you will have to take the arrivals route to T4 main. From there you collect your luggage and go upstairs to the IB check-in desk and then back through security and assuming it's not an IB flight to UK/Ireland/Croatia, you will get back on the train to go back out to T4S.

Now to your questions:

- You should be able to check in just fine. As it's IB, there will be check-in agents available all day.
- You cannot pay for access to the IB lounge. You need to have either status or a business class ticket.
- There is an AENA lounge, one in both T4 main and T4S that you can pay for access to. Though I don't know what the situation with Covid is and I believe are all closed right now.

Now, if you really have that much time, I'd recommend heading into the city center for a meal and walking around. You can take the train directly from T4 that can take you to Sol via a transfer or Recoletos or Atocha which are all near the center and just walk from there. Restaurants are open in Madrid though there is certainly a preference to dine outdoors if possible.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
So the layout of T4 is that it's the main access point for ground transportation and T4S is accessed from the secure airside area of T4 via an underground train. They are quite far from each other.

You will arrive into T4S but since you need to collect luggage, you will have to take the arrivals route to T4 main. From there you collect your luggage and go upstairs to the IB check-in desk and then back through security and assuming it's not an IB flight to UK/Ireland/Croatia, you will get back on the train to go back out to T4S.

Now to your questions:

- You should be able to check in just fine. As it's IB, there will be check-in agents available all day.
- You cannot pay for access to the IB lounge. You need to have either status or a business class ticket.
- There is an AENA lounge, one in both T4 main and T4S that you can pay for access to. Though I don't know what the situation with Covid is and I believe are all closed right now.

Now, if you really have that much time, I'd recommend heading into the city center for a meal and walking around. You can take the train directly from T4 that can take you to Sol via a transfer or Recoletos or Atocha which are all near the center and just walk from there. Restaurants are open in Madrid though there is certainly a preference to dine outdoors if possible.
Thank you for that detailed reply!

Normally I would love to head into the city but with COVID going how it's going in Europe, I plan to just try and find a corner of the airport and stay in it (ideally a lounge, glad there's hope), if I can't find a hotel nearby to try and get a daytime nap in.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 9:04 pm

I'd like to follow up, since I decided I'd just book an airport hotel and try and sleep (it's a loooong trip altogether), I'm wondering if getting checked back in at T4 and then back to T4S is a long process? Iberia says the checkin counter for long-haul flights closes 55 minutes before, would around 1:30 be enough for checkin, whatever security, and that train?
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by GotMeFlying
I'd like to follow up, since I decided I'd just book an airport hotel and try and sleep (it's a loooong trip altogether), I'm wondering if getting checked back in at T4 and then back to T4S is a long process? Iberia says the checkin counter for long-haul flights closes 55 minutes before, would around 1:30 be enough for checkin, whatever security, and that train?
I'd say more than enough. My record is 12 minutes from the door to lounge in T4S, but that was everything going perfectly and I know the airport well. Regardless, I wouldn't be worried with that much time.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
FYI - you need a COVID test within 72 hrs as of yesterday if arriving from a certain set of countries. This is in addition to the Spanish health QR code.
Also, if you're not an EU citizen, you will not be allowed into the Schengen zone.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Palal
FYI - you need a COVID test within 72 hrs as of yesterday if arriving from a certain set of countries. This is in addition to the Spanish health QR code.
Also, if you're not an EU citizen, you will not be allowed into the Schengen zone.
I'd add that the list of countries includes Schengen countries. Not sure how they're doing health controls without border controls, though.

Also, non EU citizens are not blanket banned. I am a non-EU citizen resident in Spain as an example.

"Travel bans" realistically mean elimination of visa-free travel. Visas are still granted for a variety of reasons. (my company has been having people travel through "banned" entries most of this time but quarantine is often required)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.