Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I'd add that the list of countries includes Schengen countries. Not sure how they're doing health controls without border controls, though.
Health control agents are stationed at each exit before you reach the baggage claim. There are 2 lines: domestic arrivals and international arrivals. Domestic arrivals need to show their boarding pass, while international arrivals needed to show their QR code. I assume now they need to show their PCR test.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:16 am

Departing MAD yesterday, I enquired to the airport employee there in arrivals who gives the health forms out and enquired what happens if one arrives from high risk area (that means many places) and has had no test. I was told that one would get tested there n then (at MAD arrivals) and a fine would be applied. I asked how much the fine is and was unconvincingly told by employee "I don't know". Can anyone enlight?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
I have fights with Iberia from Lon through MAD on to Costa Rica for Christmas Day. Have any UK citizens tried to board a flight transiting through Madrid today? I've combed through the policy documents put out by Spanish Government now I'm looking for real life experience. Happy Christmas all
Old Dec 23, 2020, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Cazmantis
I have fights with Iberia from Lon through MAD on to Costa Rica for Christmas Day. Have any UK citizens tried to board a flight transiting through Madrid today? I've combed through the policy documents put out by Spanish Government now I'm looking for real life experience. Happy Christmas all
This is about coronavirus travel-related restrictions.

Here's an example of what you're looking for (in terms of passengers being denied international transit in Spain due to not being Spanish citizens/residents):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32908179-post447.html
Cazmantis likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: Accor, Tap, Marriott, Executive Club, Smiles
I am a disabled person who cannot walk more than 50 meters.
I made a reservation on the IBERIA website that did not allow me to issue a single ticket.I had to issue two separate tickets.
In December I will fly in GRU-MAD business class arriving at 06.15 h.and in business class I take off at 08.45h with another locator heading to MUC (MAD-MUC).
My question is
1- Is there enough time for the connection?

2- Will I have to check in again?
3- In GRU, could Iberia's staff not perform all check ins?And when arriving in MAD would only do the redial of the bags?

King regards,
Mr. Moreira
Old Jan 5, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by CelsoMoreira
I am a disabled person who cannot walk more than 50 meters.
I made a reservation on the IBERIA website that did not allow me to issue a single ticket.I had to issue two separate tickets.
In December I will fly in GRU-MAD business class arriving at 06.15 h.and in business class I take off at 08.45h with another locator heading to MUC (MAD-MUC).
My question is
1- Is there enough time for the connection?

2- Will I have to check in again?
3- In GRU, could Iberia's staff not perform all check ins?And when arriving in MAD would only do the redial of the bags?

King regards,
Mr. Moreira
let me answer this.

1. More than enough time.
2. If it's the same airline or alliance they should be able to send the bags to Munich and issue your boarding pass. Ask them to 'find connection' in the system.
3. See 2.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 5:36 pm

Programs: Accor, Tap, Marriott, Executive Club, Smiles
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
let me answer this.

1. More than enough time.
2. If it's the same airline or alliance they should be able to send the bags to Munich and issue your boarding pass. Ask them to 'find connection' in the system.
3. See 2.
King regards, one nice life for you..
Old Jan 9, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Quick question. Is Spain open to transit passengers from the UK?

I am thinking of flying London- Madrid - Rio De Janeiro in a few weeks time. I have an EU passport. I assume i only need a PCR test to get into Brazil plus to fill out a form?
Old Jan 9, 2021, 10:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ermis177
Quick question. Is Spain open to transit passengers from the UK?

I am thinking of flying London- Madrid - Rio De Janeiro in a few weeks time. I have an EU passport. I assume i only need a PCR test to get into Brazil plus to fill out a form?
The situation as shown on Iberia's site:

"Transits from the United Kingdom are not allowed, unless they are nationals / residents in Spain and / or Andorra as they are the only passengers who can board in London."

How long that holds up is still to be seen, since it can be extended.

Code:
All entries into Spanish territory by citizens from the United Kingdom have been suspended until 6:00 p.m. on January 19, with the exception of Spanish nationals and those legally resident in Spain.

Nationals and residents of Spain and travelers arriving from European Union and Schengen-area countries and its nationals are allowed to enter. There is a RT-PCR/TMA negative result requirement for travelers from some countries. You can read more at the Negative COVID-19 Test Result section shown below.

Other passengers allowed to enter include:

Residents of Andorra, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Monaco, Romania, San Marino, Vatican City (Holy See) or a Schengen Member State arriving from a country other than Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Romania or a Schengen Member State returning via Spain to their country of residence.
    Residents of Andorra, Australia, Japan, Korea (Rep.), Monaco, New Zealand, Rwanda, San Marino, Singapore, Thailand, Uruguay or Vatican City (Holy See), if arriving from the country of residence.
    Passengers with a long-term visa issued by a Schengen Member State returning via Spain to their country of residence.
    Healthcare professionals, including healthcare researchers, and elderly care professionals heading to or returning from practice.
    Transportation personnel, seafarers, and aeronautical personnel necessary to carry out air transportation activities.
    Diplomatic, consular, international organizations, military personnel, civil protection personnel and members of humanitarian organizations, in the exercise of their functions.
    Students with medical insurance and proof of being enrolled in a course in a Schengen-area country. They are allowed to travel to the country of their studies 15 days before the start of the academic course.
    Highly qualified workers whose work is necessary and cannot be postponed or carried out remotely, including participants in high-level sports events that take place in Spain. These circumstances must be justified by documentation.
    Duly accredited people traveling for imperative family reasons.
    People who document reasons of force majeure or situation of need, or whose entry is allowed for humanitarian reasons.
    Immediate family members of a national of an EU Member State traveling together or traveling to join the national of an EU Member State.
    Passengers who are unmarried partners of nationals of Spain. They must have a confirmation of their relationship issued by a consulate of Spain.
    Residents of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Rwanda, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, or Uruguay provided that travelers have come directly from these countries or only made international transits at airports outside of these countries.
https://www.iberia.com/gb/latest-upd...ra_Coronavirus
ermis177 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 11:35 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I'm a bit confused by some of the wording around entry of EU nationals into Spain from countries outside of the EU. I'm booking a flight from the US, I want to transit Madrid and go to another city in Spain. Thus I require entry into Spain. I have an Italian passport. Can I connect in MAD and stay in Spain? Or do current rules only allow me to connect in MAD to go to Italy? My read is that it might be the latter. But then once I'm in Italy I can fly to Spain it seems without any issue as it's within Schengen....
Old Apr 1, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Spain is allowing foreigners, but there are travel restrictions between regions in Spain. But just transiting a region is allowed. So you should be able to enter Spain with a PCR test.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Yep - did this journey the other day. No issues. Went through e-gates in Madrid with a European passport and onwards to my final destination.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 2:12 am

Programs: Executive Club
I am travelling on a British passport, landed at T4S and my connecting flight was also T4S yesterday. I tried to go to T4 to use the lounge - I had a QR code from the Spanish health and also had a PCR test, but immigration said absolutely no way. British are not allowed to enter Spain except if they have a visa. I asked what would happen if I had a connection through another terminal or if I had to check bags and they said I would not be allowed in under any circumstances. I spoke to a supervisor, he called his boss, but it was a complete no.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 4:28 am

MADRID connection and Covid test Requirement?

Hello everyone
Glad I found this site!

I have a question about connecting (transiting?) in MADrid and PCR testing requirements.

To enter Spain it seems a negative PCR/AIDT test is necessary (not the rapid type).

I'm flying TAP Air Portugal from Lisbon to MADRID then on IBERIA to Italy BLQ.

The TAP lands at Terminal 1 and the IBERIA departs Terminal 4. So I need to go through border control and check in again.

All the info on Spain travel and the airport site says that a test result doesn't need to be presented if
a) transiting in international area, or
b) going through border control, effectively entering Spain, but then showing a boarding pass for departure in less than 24hrs, from another terminal, for example, as in my case.

The test requirements for Italy are a negative test - PCR OR rapid test- (then 5 days isolation followed by a final test).
My main concern is that the authorities will ask to see a full PCR/AIDT test result before I take the second flight from Terminal 4, even though it seems it's not required, and that a rapid test taken in Lisbon airport won't be accepted.

Has anyone done a similar connection or experience of this test requirement?
Thanks
Mike
Old Apr 30, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DIA, BA Gold
To go between terminals I am not sure you need to go thru anyorder control. You can walk between them I think but please confirm.

If Italy wants only aa rapid test not sure why Spain would deny you boarding. If TAP allows you to board and you are one ticket you should be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.