Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:13 pm

Hi. First time connecting in Madrid.
I’m flying HAM-MAD-LPA and should be arriving in T4 and departing from 4S. How does transfer process work?
All flights are Schengen and I’m just curious if 4S has Schengen only gates? I though it’s only for international flights.
Also is 1 hour and 20 min enough and will i have time to stop at the lounge ?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by gateH15
Hi. First time connecting in Madrid.
I’m flying HAM-MAD-LPA and should be arriving in T4 and departing from 4S. How does transfer process work?
All flights are Schengen and I’m just curious if 4S has Schengen only gates? I though it’s only for international flights.
Also is 1 hour and 20 min enough and will i have time to stop at the lounge ?
T4S has Schengen only gates.

You'll have time to go to the lounge but you'll need additional 15min to reach the T4S gates.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:55 am

First time connection

Hi!
This will be my first time travelling with a connection flight and I don't know the procedures.
Do I have to go through emmigration in Madrid? Is 1h10min enough to go from T4 to T4S? Will my checked baggage go directly to London?

Here's my info:
Portuguese traveller, flying from Porto to London, with connection in Madrid. Only one ticket bought from Iberia.
Arriving in Madrid T4 at 14h45 and departing from T4S at 15h55.
I will have one checked baggage and one carry-on.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Vera Machado
Hi!
This will be my first time travelling with a connection flight and I don't know the procedures.
Do I have to go through emmigration in Madrid? Is 1h10min enough to go from T4 to T4S? Will my checked baggage go directly to London?

Here's my info:
Portuguese traveller, flying from Porto to London, with connection in Madrid. Only one ticket bought from Iberia.
Arriving in Madrid T4 at 14h45 and departing from T4S at 15h55.
I will have one checked baggage and one carry-on.

Thanks for the help!
First is your flight operated by BA or IB? If it's IB, the entire connection is just within T4. Otherwise you'll have to get the transit to T4S, but it's pretty quick and with an EU passport you'll pass through immigration in the E gates in just a minute or two. Shouldn't be any sort of problem on time.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:55 am

The flights are operated by Iberia.
I'm booking the flights through the British Airways website and it says I'll arrive in Madrid T4 and depart from Madrid T4S.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
1h10 is doabie if you don't stop for duty free Enjoy the IB or BA "hospitality"
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Vera Machado
The flights are operated by Iberia.
I'm booking the flights through the British Airways website and it says I'll arrive in Madrid T4 and depart from Madrid T4S.
If it's the IB flight operated by the widebody, then it will be T4S (the one that leaves around 1630 IIRC) otherwise will leave from T4. Sometimes it just defaults to T4S for non-Schengen despite the few flights that operate from T4.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:34 pm
pjs

Next week, flying AA ATL-CLT-MAD and IB MAD-TLV all on same biz class award ticket with an 8 hour layover in MAD. Will check luggage to TLV. I have both US and EU (UK) passports. Arrive MAD around 8:30am. Was thinking I would enter Spain using EU passport (I assume that's quicker), store my backpack in T4, take the Express bus into town (as the Cercenias train is not going all the way to Atocha currently), take a self-guided walking tour past the Prado, fountains, Puerta Del Sol, Plaza Mayor, grab a bite at the Mercado and walk to see the outside of the Palace and gardens. Then get an Uber back to the airport around 1pm for my 4:10pm flight to TLV and exit Spain through immigration using my EU passport again. Hopefully that will give me enough time to shower/get a drink at the T4S lounge. Doable?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by pjs
Next week, flying AA ATL-CLT-MAD and IB MAD-TLV all on same biz class award ticket with an 8 hour layover in MAD. Will check luggage to TLV. I have both US and EU (UK) passports. Arrive MAD around 8:30am. Was thinking I would enter Spain using EU passport (I assume that's quicker), store my backpack in T4, take the Express bus into town (as the Cercenias train is not going all the way to Atocha currently), take a self-guided walking tour past the Prado, fountains, Puerta Del Sol, Plaza Mayor, grab a bite at the Mercado and walk to see the outside of the Palace and gardens. Then get an Uber back to the airport around 1pm for my 4:10pm flight to TLV and exit Spain through immigration using my EU passport again. Hopefully that will give me enough time to shower/get a drink at the T4S lounge. Doable?
Definitely doable. As you exit at arrivals in T4, turn left an go all the way to the end to store your bags. Alternatively you *MAY* be able to store them at the lounge (which would involve an extra security check and some backtracking) and you can also obviously store the bag at Atocha.

As you rightly pointed out, I would NOT recommend taking cercanias from Madrid, but if the schedule is right, take it from the airport - there are enough trains between Chamartin and Sol.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:53 pm
pjs

Originally Posted by Palal
Definitely doable. As you exit at arrivals in T4, turn left an go all the way to the end to store your bags. Alternatively you *MAY* be able to store them at the lounge (which would involve an extra security check and some backtracking) and you can also obviously store the bag at Atocha.

As you rightly pointed out, I would NOT recommend taking cercanias from Madrid, but if the schedule is right, take it from the airport - there are enough trains between Chamartin and Sol.
Thanks. Will report back after with some feedback on this layover (unless AA screws me out of it).
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by pjs
You seem to definitely know what you're doing. I'd just add that it's very hot recently so be sure to schedule a shower after all that walking for your fellow passengers' sakes. But shouldn't be an issue with time at all. No traffic around that time so should be 20 mins max to get to the airport.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:56 am
pjs

Originally Posted by pjs

Thanks. Will report back after with some feedback on this layover (unless AA screws me out of it).
This went really well. AA flight from CLT arrived on time. Quickly entered Spain on my UK passport through the automated machine, took the train to T4 and checked my backpack at luggage storage. Then I caught the airport bus. Make sure you have cash or a contactless card for the 5E cost. I got off at Cibenes and walked past the fountains. Then I walked down to Sol and Mayor, taking some pics on the way. Walked to the Mercado and enjoyed seeing all the food. I ended up at the Palace for some pics through the fence and then back to Mayor for some jamon y queso y sangria at the Museo de Jamon. I ended up having more time than I thought so I saved the Uber cost and walked back to Atocha to catch the airport bus again (which was crowded). Easily made it through immigration and security back to T4S by 1:30 in time to shower and eat before my flight to TLV.
LupineChemist and Yllanes like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:03 pm

2 hour 5 min connection?

Booked a J award ORD-MAD on IB arriving in T4 and then MAD-AUH on EY leaving from T1. Is 2 hours enough of a connection time without any checked baggage? I assume we will have to clear customs, etc. (does IB provide fast track?)
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by JustSomeFlyer
Booked a J award ORD-MAD on IB arriving in T4 and then MAD-AUH on EY leaving from T1. Is 2 hours enough of a connection time without any checked baggage? I assume we will have to clear customs, etc. (does IB provide fast track?)
ORD-MAD arrives in T4S, not T4.

There is a T4S-T1(non Schengen) internal bus that you should be able to use, that will bypass border control and customs.

Transport between terminals - Aeropuerto Madrid-Barajas - Aena.es

Transferring passengers in non-Schengen area, with boarding pass: lounge 1 (T1), lounge 2 (T1) and T4 satellite building (P0). The bus route for non-Schengen passengers is run on request.

You will need to OLCI for the MAD-AUH flight, otherwise I doubt there is a transfer counter for EY in T4S.

If for whatever reason you can't take the bus, your connection becomes very tight. You'll have to go through the Schengen border in T4S (no fast track available for anyone, if you don't hold an EU passport, queues can be > 1h), take the automatic train from T4S to T4, exit and clear customs, take the shuttle bus from T4 to T1, clear security, and go through the Schengen border control again.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:36 pm

If you scroll through the threads above, you'll see that the T4S>T1 bus runs only on request, and may take up to 40 mins to come pick you up. That connection is very tight, to the point of being barely doable, if everything is on time and you have all your boarding passes in order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.