Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: HA Platinum, UA Silver
Any tips on how best to efficiently manage this connection:
US passport holder. No oneworld status.

Arr 22:05 LHR-MAD IB 3167 Terminal 4S (A340)
Dep 23:05 MAD-LIS IB 3118 Terminal 4

Reading previous posts I have a few questions:
1. Do I need to go thru immigration?
2. Do I need to go thru security re-entering Terminal 4 from the underground train?
3. Do they have agents meeting the flight to help us thru immigration and security?
4. Does IB hold flights since itʻs the last flight of the day?
5. Should I plan to miss my connection?

Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Mokuea
Any tips on how best to efficiently manage this connection:
US passport holder. No oneworld status.

Arr 22:05 LHR-MAD IB 3167 Terminal 4S (A340)
Dep 23:05 MAD-LIS IB 3118 Terminal 4

Reading previous posts I have a few questions:
1. Do I need to go thru immigration?
2. Do I need to go thru security re-entering Terminal 4 from the underground train?
3. Do they have agents meeting the flight to help us thru immigration and security?
4. Does IB hold flights since itʻs the last flight of the day?
5. Should I plan to miss my connection?

Thanks!
1. Yes, but at that time of night, the inbound immigration lines shouldn't be too long.
2. Yes, but it's quick.
3. Probably not. It's Iberia after all.
4. Possibly.
5. No, totally doable if everything is on time, though you shouldn't stop anywhere along the way until you get to your gate.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: HA Platinum, UA Silver
Thank you very much for answering my questions.

If my flight is delayed, what is the minimum amount of time I can expect it will take us to go thru immigration in T4S and re-clear security and walk to my gate in T4?

Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Mokuea
Thank you very much for answering my questions.

If my flight is delayed, what is the minimum amount of time I can expect it will take us to go thru immigration in T4S and re-clear security and walk to my gate in T4?

Thanks!
Assuming no line at immigration, comfortably - 25-30 minutes. I've done it in 20 (walking fast).
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Palal
Assuming no line at immigration, comfortably - 25-30 minutes. I've done it in 20 (walking fast).
I’ve done it in 12 min last week from H38 to M22 but I was walking very fats and I did not wait for the train.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:10 pm

Help!!

Someone knows is a Moroccan citizen needs a transit visa in order to change terminals we flying from New York to Madrid in Iberia then we have to Ryanair to Marrakech but I just realized is different terminals
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP - CK, DL PM, *Wood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Quick question -

Connecting thru MAD from BLQ (arriving Term 4); departing 4S (MAD-DFW). Is there a liquid limit when clearing from 4 to 4S?

Thank you!
Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:49 pm

You will not go through security at all in MAD in that itinerary (the T4-T4S connection is airside).
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I am Indonesian, and will go to Medellin through Madrid with these details:
Jakarta - Madrid on Etihad landing at T1
Madrid - Medellin on Avianca at T4S
gap between land and departure = 7 hours
I don’t have an Schengen visa

How reliable is the on-request airside T1 to T4S bus? I don’t mind the 30-40 minute wait I read here, just need to make sure it works.. Is there a guide somewhere as to how this exactly works? Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Aditya Rakhman
Hi everyone,

I am Indonesian, and will go to Medellin through Madrid with these details:
Jakarta - Madrid on Etihad landing at T1
Madrid - Medellin on Avianca at T4S
gap between land and departure = 7 hours
I don’t have an Schengen visa

How reliable is the on-request airside T1 to T4S bus? I don’t mind the 30-40 minute wait I read here, just need to make sure it works.. Is there a guide somewhere as to how this exactly works? Thanks!
I don't know if anyone has any first hand experience but I would make sure it's one ticket so the bags are checked through but I would have no problem with that kind of layover. Even if they fumble around a bit, should be fine.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:05 am

JFK - Madrid to Malaga on 2 separate tickets

I am new to this forum hope I've posted my question in the correct forum.

I am flying from JFK to Madrid with 4 hr layover than on to Malaga on Iberia Air on 2 separate tickets and checked luggage.
Please let me know if this is the correct procedures after arriving in Madrid.
Once I arrive in Madrid, I guess I will go through immigration / customs than retrieve my luggage and check in again for my 2nd part of the flight from Madrid to Malaga? is 4 hrs enough time ?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mike_ali226
Once I arrive in Madrid, I guess I will go through immigration / customs than retrieve my luggage and check in again for my 2nd part of the flight from Madrid to Malaga? is 4 hrs enough time ?
Yes and yes. If everything is with IB, it will all be done in T4.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 4:19 pm

Transfer Question

Ok, I've read all the posts here (as well as TA), wanting to get some opinions as I'm considering rebooking. I'm flying JFK-MAD on AA, arrives 8:10am (T4S). Then connecting 9:40am Easyjet to Milan (T1).

Is there any way this is possible? I will only have hand luggage and am willing to run! Seems to me if I can get off the plane first and get through immigration quickly, I may have a chance if I take the metro. I've also taken a look at last minute bookings, which aren't too expensive if I miss my Easyjet flight.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
There's tons of IB flights to Milan, why not just go with one of them and stay in T4?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by campbellsa
Ok, I've read all the posts here (as well as TA), wanting to get some opinions as I'm considering rebooking. I'm flying JFK-MAD on AA, arrives 8:10am (T4S). Then connecting 9:40am Easyjet to Milan (T1).

Is there any way this is possible? I will only have hand luggage and am willing to run! Seems to me if I can get off the plane first and get through immigration quickly, I may have a chance if I take the metro. I've also taken a look at last minute bookings, which aren't too expensive if I miss my Easyjet flight.

Thoughts?
Not doable. I wouldn't risk it. The metro won't help - it's a longish walk from the T123 metro station to T2 and the bus runs just as frequently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.