Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2022, 5:03 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Yes, that's reasonable in your case. You can also get a short connection line for immigration. The biggest waiting point for MAD from T4S is waiting for luggage to show up. But if you don't have to worry about it, then it's not a problem.
Thanks. We are carry-on only folks. And, even if not, it's the same ticket so they'd transfer anyway.

Cheers.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by zoegksf
Yes, they are. All a UA award ticket. Thank you for the pointers. Worst case, we miss the MAD-LIS flight on TAP, but there are a few others after our arrival.
Wanted to update now that the rage has somewhat worn off. The 1 hour connection did not work. TK was 25 minutes late, leaving us with 35 minutes. We were in C so were able to get off fast but the immigration at T1 was a nightmare. Then my SO remembered seeing a sign back upstairs that pointed out to T2, but it was a ghost town when we first passed it to give it a try and after waiting down in T! immigration for 10 minutes decided to give it a try. It was a breeze, nobody in line and we got right through. At this point we didn't try to go back into security to catch flight as it was only about 10 minutes to TO. Went upstairs and ticket agent tried to extort E877.99 off us to change the flight. I politely told her to go F herself and then went outside to call UA in the US. They were only able to get us on a flight the next day around noon, which went without a hitch - except - they said they had our bags from day before and would put them on the flight. Of course they didn't. Luggage finally showed up 3 days later, just in time for us to head to Madeira. Moral of story? Listen to other FT'ers and stay away from TAP Portugal, they really are the worst.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: AA, US, DL
I need some clarification of a non-Schengen to non-Schengen transfer on two different tickets and terminals.

Plan is to arrive MAD at 11:05 on FR from RAK. Then taking an AA flight to PHL at 13:00. Reason I'm doing this is there's no IB flight that connects to AA and I don't want to make the trek home from JFK.

Hand luggage only but will I need to clear EU customs in T1 before taking the shuttle to T4S? I read there's another shuttle for non-Schengen transfers that stays in the sterile area but wanted to confirm this before purchasing. Thanks
Old Nov 15, 2022, 3:24 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I've seen signs for the shuttle for a bus for T1 to T4 non-Schengen transfer but I'm entirely unsure of how it works and how long it would take. I believe you have to call for it on demand and no idea where it's normally parked. If it's normally at T4S then it could easily be 45 minutes to get over there. (5 minutes for the driver to finish their coffee, 15-20 minutes of driving on the airport grounds, pick you up, return). I also have no personal experience nor know anyone with experience on the shuttle.

https://www.aena.es/es/adolfo-suarez...erminales.html

That site indicates it definitely exists but I can't say more than that.

That's me being pessimistic though, Personally I'd want at least an hour more than you have to account for any delays on FR but if everything is on time you should make it.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 3:23 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've seen some conflicting information on Covid documentation for transiting MAD, and figure people here know the ground truth. There was a bit about EU 0r Schengen (and the UK are neither), but then some general comments about not being required.

So, we are US passport, traveling to Spain (transit in MAD) from LHR (we do overnight there, so that is likely considered our origin versus US).

I believe that we no longer need Covid documentation to transit MAD with a final destination in Spain, but not completely sure.

Cheers.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 5:37 pm

This is correct, there is no longer any covid requirements. Neither for UK nor Spain.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:06 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, after all is and done, our 1:10 connection in MAD became quite a bit longer as BA/IB have cancelled our MAD-GRX flight. WQe are now overnighting at MAD (BA agent said that they would reimburse after) and going out the next morning.

I believe that an IB marketed flight (operated by Air Nostrum for Iberia) also counts for the BA 4 segment minimum for status.

Sigh...

Cheers.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 3:46 am

Unfortunately there is an Air Nostrum strike at the moment. Hope you were able to enjoy the city a bit. Managed to find one of the few days where it wasn't pouring down rain this month.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 9:19 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Unfortunately there is an Air Nostrum strike at the moment. Hope you were able to enjoy the city a bit. Managed to find one of the few days where it wasn't pouring down rain this month.
Indeed. We're caught up by this strike on the outbound. Spending one might near MAD airport and only losing about half a day. Return (GRX-MAD) is also during strike dates but IB operated directly, so all good so far.

Cheers.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
NCE-MAD-OPO

Considering booking NCE-MAD-OPO in April 2023 with a 1 hour connection in MAD. It's IB 3065 / IB 3094.

IB 3065 is a seasonal flight so when I check status now, it doesn't show a gate, just MAD arrival into "Terminal 4". IB 3094 shows a departure from 4S.

As this would be Schengen-Schengen, would I stay airside and not need to go through immigration or security again? And if so, I assume a 60 min connection time is sufficient?

FWIW, we would both be travelling with US-sized carry-on roll-aboard suitcases, which we assume we would need to check since I think they will weigh more than 10kg/14 kg (I can use OW miles to book business if worth it). As long as the bags are checked through and there's reasonable confidence they can make it - we are in our late 30s/early 40s, experienced travellers, and can run through an airport if needed.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 9:18 am

They would both almost certainly be T4-T4 connections so just walk out and walk to the next flight. 60 minutes is fine. There are a few limited Schengen flights to T4S but it would be impossible to know until the day of or the day before because it's just about where that specific aircraft is coming from/going-to (e.g. next flight is to Algeria or something)

Also, I specifically bought my carryon in the US to be bigger and they've never told me anything.

So yeah, not a problem connection at all.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 11:19 pm

I have a flight JFK-MAD-DUB. My MAD-DUB flight has been pushed back by an hour and I don't think I will be able to make my separate ticket Aer Lingus flight 1.5 hours after landing in Dublin. I called Iberia and asked to have the MAD-DUB flight dropped, but they just tell me to check my bags to Madrid when I get to JFK, and I can get my own flight to my final destination. I have called 5 different times, and contacted them on Facebook and Twitter with the same response. Does anyone have any experience with this? My MAD layover is 6.5 hours until my DUB flight now.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 3:08 am

This question is much better directed at the IB forum.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 2:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I don’t know if this is the right thread but just a heads up on the chaotic situation at Cibeles Lounge (T1) which seems to be usual business as per the lounge attendant. Monday evening around 10pm there were almost 40 people queuing outside the lounge waiting to enter – all of them Priority Pass/Lounge Key/etc. When I approached the attendant saying I was a Skyteam Elite Plus travelling in UX, she apologised but said the lounge was at full capacity and that I had to join the queue. She told the same thing to a UX Business Class passenger. I ended up just leaving and had a bite in one of the eateries downstairs. It seems like UX could definitely do better than this, particularly as they are quite proud of their Madrid Hub.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Due to some bad planning this week I’ve got an evening arrival to T4S then a 6am departure from T2 the next morning. I shrugged it off with an airport hotel but I’m struggling to find one I can get to the airport from.

Are there any hotels in 4am walking distance of
T2? I’ve looked at the ibis and which looks doable but can’t quite figure if the paths are all open / safe in the early hours.

I had thought of going to town but the metro doesn’t restart till 6. Any late night busses?
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.